Need help understanding speakers

Aikenrooster

Ok, I have an old Yamaha receiver that came with an HTIB which I purchased years ago. I route my playstation3 and Directv to my TV via HDMI, but then run the sound to the receiver via TosLink optical wire. It does not have HDMI connections.

My speakers are shot, and I'm looking at some Pioneer speakers that are rated @ 90 watts per speaker. My receiver only drives 50 watts, per channel. My question is : Will this be sufficient to drive these speakers at moderate levels ? Will it be distorted? Obviously, too much power from the receiver would blow up low rates speakers, but how about low power, in this case?

Thx

The amp will be fine with the wattage but you need to consider the impedance of the speakers (in ohms) and the output impedance of the amp. Driving the amp to hard will not end well

The amp will be fine with the wattage but you need to consider the impedance of the speakers (in ohms) and the output impedance of the amp. Driving the amp to hard will not end well

Tony, I will send you a link to the receiver, which I own, and to the speakers to which are on my wish list, and maybe you can explain it to me. I think I know what you mean: too much resistance(ohms) means that the receiver can't provide enough current(amps) to power the speakers(watts). Is that correct?

Tony, I will send you a link to the receiver, which I own, and to the speakers to which are on my wish list, and maybe you can explain it to me. I think I know what you mean: too much resistance(ohms) means that the receiver can't provide enough current(amps) to power the speakers(watts). Is that correct?

Yes.

Tnx. I know it's really late over there, but , perhaps, tomorrow, you could post a brief tutorial on which receiver and speaker specs are important and why. Tnx again and good night.

Speaker and receiver specs are dependant on your budget.

If you buy a new receiver it should decode dts master HD (and Dolby truHd) from bluray etc but if you don't plan on hooking up more than 5 speakers and a sub 5.1 should be fine. In the UK you can get a decent Amp by Pioneer, Onkyo, Sony or Yamaha with 7.1 and HD decoding plus wireless (and AirPlay) and perhaps bluetooth for around £300 ($400) or less if you shop around.

The speakers you highlighted will be fine for this.

I saved up and got a refurbished Pioneer SC LX57 that normally retailed for £1200 for under £600 and I have Kef surround speakers. I intend to upgrade to some B&W's in the not too distant future. I have an Oppo Bluray that plays DVD-A, SACD and files from portable HD drives like HD MKV files. I play a lot of hires audio so I needed to spend a little more on the amp.

• Like 1

Speaker and receiver specs are dependant on your budget.

If you buy a new receiver it should decode dts master HD (and Dolby truHd) from bluray etc but if you don't plan on hooking up more than 5 speakers and a sub 5.1 should be fine. In the UK you can get a decent Amp by Pioneer, Onkyo, Sony or Yamaha with 7.1 and HD decoding plus wireless (and AirPlay) and perhaps bluetooth for around £300 ($400) or less if you shop around.

The speakers you highlighted will be fine for this.

I saved up and got a refurbished Pioneer SC LX57 that normally retailed for £1200 for under £600 and I have Kef surround speakers. I intend to upgrade to some B&W's in the not too distant future. I have an Oppo Bluray that plays DVD-A, SACD and files from portable HD drives like HD MKV files. I play a lot of hires audio so I needed to spend a little more on the amp.

Awesome. I'm not an audiophile, but I hate shitty audio. I can't stand even a hint of distortion.

However, I was unaware of that DTS HD and Dolby HD , so I might have to get a new receieve and a playstation4

I'm assuming that your amp puts out 50 watts continuous average power (not peak power) per channel, with your speakers handling 90 watts continuous average power.

I would say that your system is OK, but if you do crank your amp quite a bit, then you risk pumping more and more distorted power into your speakers. That can cause damage as well. The more you crank your amp, the more distorted the output will be.

Increasing the decibels of your system is not an easy task. If you replace your 50 watt amp with a 100 watt amp, then the increase in actual loudness (in decibels) would only be THREE DECIBELS. You would need a 500 watt amp (ten times your old amp) to truly double the loudness.

My Sony receiver/amp puts out a minimum of 100 watts continuous power, and my Klipsch Quintet surround speakers take 50-75 watts continuous power. It's a fine system, especially since I don't crank it. My amp's volume setting goes from -100 to +100, and I rarely go past -10....!! It is PLENTY loud..... :D :D