Are Movie Trailers Showing Too Much?

workingcinderellaman

seems I am against the norm on this one.

I love movies and going to the theater.

The whole experience even the trailers and sometimes even the commercials before the movie.

spoilers don't bother me in the least and if I had my choice I wouldn't call them spoilers--more like teases. Just as long as the big twist in the movie or how it ends is not revealed.

• Like 1

seems I am against the norm on this one.

I love movies and going to the theater.

The whole experience even the trailers and sometimes even the commercials before the movie.

spoilers don't bother me in the least and if I had my choice I wouldn't call them spoilers--more like teases. Just as long as the big twist in the movie or how it ends is not revealed.

agreed. i will always love it!

Sometimes trailers are better than the film.

Pacific Rim

Dark Knight Rises

Prometheus

Four terrible films, with trailers that got me pumped!

Especially Prometheus, wow that trailer was maybe the best I've ever seen for any movie.

Agreed!

But the movie ended up being another fashion shoot for Charlize Theron.

Sorry, but part of Alien's greatness is relatable, realistic and ordinary human beings. Prometheus...just dreadful. 0/10 from me, worse than even the AVP films (at least they weren't pretensious).

I would go on...I really did hate it.

What astounded me most throughout that movie was just how friggin' STUPID these supposed scientists were:

In that alien cave with all kinds of bacteria and black oily shit all over the place?

LET'S TAKE OUR HELMETS OFF!!

Hey look it's a dangerous worm thing right in front of my face!

LET'S TRY TO PET IT!!

And on and on.. Was very bad.

Now compare this to the utter excellence of the first movie, where people actually had some brains. Remember when they were trying to bring the first victim of the facehugger into the ship? Ripley says no friggin' way, it's a safety / health violation and they all get pissed off and it's this great scene?? Believable and well-acted, why they couldn't learn from scenes like this in the future I'll never know.

And you cannot blame the director for being out of his depth.

But you can blame him for being absolutely off colour. In all honesty, what happened to Ridley Scott? Yes, I loved his full cut of Kingdom Of Heaven, but he releases tripe after tripe after tripe now. This guy gave us Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, Legend...heck, Thelma And Louise...and now?

Robin Hood

Prometheus

The Counsellor (oh deary me...this stank)

Exodus

Guy lost it.

I agree about Ridley and I worry about Bladerunner 2. I also blame Damon Lindelof for that horrible Prometheus script.

Pacific Rim

Dark Knight Rises

Prometheus

Especially Prometheus, wow that trailer was maybe the best I've ever seen for any movie.

Agreed!

Sorry, but part of Alien's greatness is relatable, realistic and ordinary human beings. Prometheus...just dreadful. 0/10 from me, worse than even the AVP films (at least they weren't pretensious).

What astounded me most throughout that movie was just how friggin' STUPID these supposed scientists were:

In that alien cave with all kinds of bacteria and black oily shit all over the place?

LET'S TRY TO PET IT!!

Now compare this to the utter excellence of the first movie, where people actually had some brains. Remember when they were trying to bring the first victim of the facehugger into the ship? Ripley says no friggin' way, it's a safety / health violation and they all get pissed off and it's this great scene?? Believable and well-acted, why they couldn't learn from scenes like this in the future I'll never know.

I really wanted to like Prometheus, I really did. The little flying cave-mapper bot was great! But the poor decisions of the scientists? What a joke! If they spent all that time flying to another planet they would have spent a few hours drawing up a plan and sticking to it, and they would have instituted quarantine protocols. Also, that woman running around immediately after major abdominal surgery? I think not! The whole movie deserves a few :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

• Like 1

Pacific Rim

Dark Knight Rises

Prometheus

Agreed!

LET'S TRY TO PET IT!!

I really wanted to like Prometheus, I really did. The little flying cave-mapper bot was great! But the poor decisions of the scientists? What a joke! If they spent all that time flying to another planet they would have spent a few hours drawing up a plan and sticking to it, and they would have instituted quarantine protocols. Also, that woman running around immediately after major abdominal surgery? I think not! The whole movie deserves a few :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

That was such a stupid birth scene...so dumb.

• Like 1

Pacific Rim

Dark Knight Rises

Prometheus

Agreed!

LET'S TRY TO PET IT!!

And you cannot blame the director for being out of his depth.

But you can blame him for being absolutely off colour. In all honesty, what happened to Ridley Scott? Yes, I loved his full cut of Kingdom Of Heaven, but he releases tripe after tripe after tripe now. This guy gave us Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, Legend...heck, Thelma And Louise...and now?

Robin Hood

Prometheus

The Counsellor (oh deary me...this stank)

Exodus

Guy lost it.

I agree about Ridley and I worry about Bladerunner 2. I also blame Damon Lindelof for that horrible Prometheus script.

Bladerunner 2 is very likely going to end up a Indiana Jones 4.

I shall pretend it doesn't exist. (Unless its amazing...but I have high standards for a second Blade Runner film).

And this reminds me, all the rubbish scripts adapted by Scott, and an amazing one by Nick Cave for Gladiator 2 gets left gathering dust.

I do not watch trailers because they show way too much. It's easy to not watch them online, and it just so happens I don't go to the theater much so that isn't too much of an issue.

I have a group of friends who occasionally rent out theaters for certain films (LotR, the Hobbit movies, and the upcoming Star Wars movie) and sell tickets to all of their friends. The upside is: no children, and you can tell them to not play trailers. (A related group of friends has rented theaters for really bad movies, hired a bartender to set up inside the theater, and everyone has a few drinks and yells out funny comments, sort of a DIY MST3K.)

This is the most awesome I've read all day! :notworthy:

• Like 1

Pacific Rim

Dark Knight Rises

Prometheus

Agreed!

That movie was a huge disappointment. I remember when we first heard about it and it was being touted as an Alien prequel. I was so excited that maybe it could've been great. I've never been so bored watching a movie that should have been awesome.

Edited by EagleMoon

Pacific Rim

Dark Knight Rises

Prometheus

Agreed!

LET'S TRY TO PET IT!!

Forgot about that part!! Yeah I'm sure after getting that type of surgery she'd be in bedrest for like 6 months minimum.

The map bots were really cool, I did like that idea I confess.

I kind of don't like how the Engineers were these big assholes though. I'd rather they be kept mysterious like in the first Alien.

Maybe this is the filmmaker's version of the musician's "Less is More"?

That's exactly the point, if the full length movie was terrible on arrival. Trailers especially for shitty movies are IMO edited in such a way that excites and dupe prospective movie goers into watching it in the theaters.

Pacific Rim

Dark Knight Rises

Prometheus

I've got three of those..! :P

:ph34r:

• Like 1

Pacific Rim

Dark Knight Rises

Prometheus

I love Avatar, even if the storyline is predictable. I think the world they created and the way they filmed it by live action recreation was so cool.

Pacific Rim

Dark Knight Rises

Prometheus

I love Avatar, even if the storyline is predictable. I think the world they created and the way they filmed it by live action recreation was so cool.

I think my only beef with Avatar is that it just feels so dervivative of other movies. Like, too specifically obvious. Pocahontas, Nausicca, Dances With Wolves, Fern Gully...I know this is unfair t Avatar but when a film costs this much, with that much effort put in, and it reminds me largely of kids movies, sheesh...I am disappointed. Seriously...I get the love, I really do, but it just seems like such a waste of resources on a really cliched story.

I kept watching Avatar as well thinking that it looked like a world Miyazaki could have drawn in his sleep. Yes, as I said this is all unfair criticism, a film should truly be judged on its own merits...and based on the merits of the film: terrible script, dull lead actor, overblown art design, obvious plot developments, and little to truly get stuck into. Every now and then I revisit it, but each and every time I am reminded of films I like more and gravitate towards them before the first half is even finished.

Then again, I really, stupidly love 2012, one of the dumbest films ever made...and nearly every attack on Avatar I have made applies to this too...so I do not at all think my opinion is final. I really wanted to be swept away, I even raved about it in the build up to its release. But I was sorely disappointed.

It is a million times better than Pacific Rim though. Now I was really buzzing for that based on the trailer! (Hard to know why now, it looks like another Transformers with hindsight!).

Pacific Rim

Dark Knight Rises

Prometheus

I have owned two of those...seen the other two...not saying which!

Prometheus is the worst. I respect, but do not enjoy Avatar. I pretend Pacific Rim doesn't exist. The other two...shambles...

But I do know that I enjoy a lot of real low quality junk: Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 1 and 2 are so incredibly hilarious to me they make my top fifty.

Now that is sad!

Pacific Rim

Dark Knight Rises

Prometheus

I think my only beef with Avatar is that it just feels so dervivative of other movies. Like, too specifically obvious. Pocahontas, Nausicca, Dances With Wolves, Fern Gully...I know this is unfair t Avatar but when a film costs this much, with that much effort put in, and it reminds me largely of kids movies, sheesh...I am disappointed. Seriously...I get the love, I really do, but it just seems like such a waste of resources on a really cliched story.

I kept watching Avatar as well thinking that it looked like a world Miyazaki could have drawn in his sleep. Yes, as I said this is all unfair criticism, a film should truly be judged on its own merits...and based on the merits of the film: terrible script, dull lead actor, overblown art design, obvious plot developments, and little to truly get stuck into. Every now and then I revisit it, but each and every time I am reminded of films I like more and gravitate towards them before the first half is even finished.

Then again, I really, stupidly love 2012, one of the dumbest films ever made...and nearly every attack on Avatar I have made applies to this too...so I do not at all think my opinion is final. I really wanted to be swept away, I even raved about it in the build up to its release. But I was sorely disappointed.

It is a million times better than Pacific Rim though. Now I was really buzzing for that based on the trailer! (Hard to know why now, it looks like another Transformers with hindsight!).

:LOL: I know what you mean about Avatar being like something Miyazaki could have done. I guess the nature theme is what appeals to me in all of the movies like that. I think it's fascinating how they use the digital technology to capture the live actors and transform it into CGI. But then I've always been interested in that field since that's what I went to school for.

Pacific Rim

Dark Knight Rises

Prometheus

I have owned two of those...seen the other two...not saying which!

Prometheus is the worst. I respect, but do not enjoy Avatar. I pretend Pacific Rim doesn't exist. The other two...shambles...

But I do know that I enjoy a lot of real low quality junk: Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 1 and 2 are so incredibly hilarious to me they make my top fifty.

Now that is sad!

Out of the three I've got, I've seen two, but not the third..! :LOL:

Speaking of movie previews, I just remembered this guy:

He did a great Arnold. :LOL:

"Listen tuu me...these men...they're tryinnn tuu take my tortilllaaaarrggh!!!!"

• Like 1

Yes, the trailers show too much and the best parts of the movie. For really bad movies, like that Alcoholics Anonymous propaganda movie where Denzel Washington flew the plane upside down, that was the best part of the movie. When that plane crashed, so did the movie.