Are Movie Trailers Showing Too Much?

workingcinderellaman

SPOILER ALERT! (Unless you like to watch movie trailers)

I've always thought that movie trailers can be spoilers so if a movie is coming out that I fully intend on seeing, I try to avoid watching its trailers. Recently though I think that movie trailers have become a lot worse at doing this. Furious 7 is a good example of what I'm referring to.

So in the movie they come up with a plan that the audience isn't told the details to. The scene changes and they're all sitting in their cars in what appears to be a garage getting ready for something. Suddenly the darkness is drenched in sunlight as a giant door hydraulically opens behind them. Surprise! they're in the back of a C-17 Globemaster flying at 20 thousand feet and they're going to go skydiving with their cars! I didn't see that one coming. (But wait, I did. It was in the trailer.)

Another scene... they have to get an electronic processor out of an exotic sports car in the penthouse of a rich oil sheik. But they've been discovered and time is running out! What are they going to do to get the processor out of the highrise building? How about they drive it out of the side of the building into the adjacent building? WOW! I never saw that one coming. :sarcastic:

Here's another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62E4FJTwSuc

Kyle Reece is sent back in time to protect Sarah Connor from the evil T-800. But when he gets there, lo and behold Sarah Connor isn't the meek, mild-mannered waitress he (and the audience) was expecting. No, she's tough and can not only take care of herself but saves the resistance soldier while ironically using same line Reece said to her from the first movie. "Come with me if you want to live!" So Sarah doesn't need to be saved. And she's already taken care of the clunky T-800 that was such a menace in the first movie with the help of none other than... (drumroll please) old looking and friendly T-800 Arnold! The timeline John has sent Kyle to no longer exists. Everything has changed. Except the metallic T-1000 from the second movie, he's the same only sent a few years earlier.

Am I missing anything? I wish I was but I think that just about wraps up the whole movie and it all came from one trailer.

So here's my question; If the purpose of the movie trailer is to advertise the movie, who are they aiming this trailer at? Do people need this trailer to want to see Terminator Genisis? Those who know the whole story and have seen all of the other movies are going to see it. All they need is a release date. Those who haven't seen the other movies don't really need to know the details of the rebooted plot because they wouldn't know what's going on anyway. All they would need is a few scenes showing the future war and John Connor sending Kyle back to protect his mother from the T-800. This isn't a spoiler for those who've seen all of the other movies and it would be enough to peak the interest of those new to the franchise.

And then there are the comedy trailers that have everything funny about the movie in the trailer.

I purposely go late to the movies now so I don't have to sit through them.

Edited by workingcinderellaman
  • Like 1

I go to very few movies but I have been doing this for years. I usually time it pretty well too. I don't care to see anything until the movie I came to see actually starts...

Edit: So yes would be my answer...

Edited by Narpsberg

I have not been to the theater in 6 years.

Here's why.

1- No kids talking and texting on my couch

2- My Sodas are not 55 Gallon drums that cost $9.50

3- My 5pm movie starts at 5pm, NOT 5:25

4- I can pause, rewind, put on CC anything to make MY experience better.

5-My Bose surround sound is perfect for my theater.

That being said, Hollywood is the last group to not embrace technology. If they said I could RENT a movie for $19.99 for 2 days the same day it debuts in the theater, I would buy it. < THIS is the future.

Now trailers are mostly the whole movie.

They want to give you almost too much. Why would Star Wars release a trailer? People will go NO MATTER WHAT.

• Like 2

Sometimes the trailer is the best part of the movie. I agree that they show too much. I guess the idea is to get people enticed into going but doing a synopsis of the entire movie in two minutes is kind of ridiculous.

Here's why.

That being said, Hollywood is the last group to not embrace technology. If they said I could RENT a movie for $19.99 for 2 days the same day it debuts in the theater, I would buy it. < THIS is the future.

They want to give you almost too much. Why would Star Wars release a trailer? People will go NO MATTER WHAT.

I understand what you're saying but I will never stop seeing movies at the theatre until they all go out of business. (Which I don't see hapening anytime soon)

I like to get out of the house, I like the theatre popcorn and I like the fact that no one can disturb me. Yeah, those idiots who pay full price for a movie so that they can not watch it and annoy those around them while they text are pretty bad. But that doesn't happen that often. Distractions like being asked to take the garbage out, help somone with a problem with the computer, answer the phone or a knock at the door are far more likely to hapen if I'm watching a movie at home. I like the theatre expirience much better and they still have a much better sound system and a slightly bigger screen than the one I have at home.

Why would Star Wars release a trailer? People will go NO MATTER WHAT.

:goodone:

I agree. I haven't seen any of the Star Wars trailers and my goal is to make it to the release date that way.

• Like 2

Sometimes the trailer is the best part of the movie. I agree that they show too much. I guess the idea is to get people enticed into going but doing a synopsis of the entire movie in two minutes is kind of ridiculous.

I only think that if its a trailer to a movie I've never heard of and convinces me to want to see it wihout spoiling it for me.

I think I tend to like movies more if I haven't seen their trailers.

This weekend On HBO I saw Need for Speed and Godzilla

The trailers looked horrible and the films were worse. I was laughing through Godzilla

I only think that if its a trailer to a movie I've never heard of and convinces me to want to see it wihout spoiling it for me.

I think I tend to like movies more if I haven't seen their trailers.

The one trailer that I can think of that really impressed me to want to see the movie was the one for The Lion King. That was really impressive at the time. It was just enough to peak your interest but not enough to ruin the story.

I do not watch trailers because they show way too much. It's easy to not watch them online, and it just so happens I don't go to the theater much so that isn't too much of an issue.

I have a group of friends who occasionally rent out theaters for certain films (LotR, the Hobbit movies, and the upcoming Star Wars movie) and sell tickets to all of their friends. The upside is: no children, and you can tell them to not play trailers. (A related group of friends has rented theaters for really bad movies, hired a bartender to set up inside the theater, and everyone has a few drinks and yells out funny comments, sort of a DIY MST3K.)

• Like 1

Here's why.

I understand what you're saying but I will never stop seeing movies at the theatre until they all go out of business. (Which I don't see hapening anytime soon)

I like to get out of the house, I like the theatre popcorn and I like the fact that no one can disturb me. Yeah, those idiots who pay full price for a movie so that they can not watch it and annoy those around them while they text are pretty bad. But that doesn't happen that often. Distractions like being asked to take the garbage out, help somone with a problem with the computer, answer the phone or a knock at the door are far more likely to hapen if I'm watching a movie at home. I like the theatre expirience much better and they still have a much better sound system and a slightly bigger screen than the one I have at home.

Why would Star Wars release a trailer? People will go NO MATTER WHAT.

:goodone:

I haven't seen any of the Star Wars movies...

Never had any interest and it was hot as blazes when I was in high school when the first one came out. Just never cared too...

Yep. I wasn't even interested in this movie, but it's what made me decide to stop watching trailers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ3kwMq18-8

Anything that features

THE ACTOR Tim McGraw, is a complete and utter failure to properly cast a film

Here's why.

That's possible, but I also think it's possible that there are lots of folks out there who might be wary of another Star Wars movie if there was any chance at all it would be as friggin' awful as the last three...

This weekend On HBO I saw Need for Speed and Godzilla

The trailers looked horrible and the films were worse. I was laughing through Godzilla

Godzilla...another fun franchise destroyed by the dumb idea to make everything "dark and serious".

The film sucked ass, to put it mildly. And the trailer I remember almost made it look great!

Godzilla and Pacific Rim are two of the worst big budget studio films I have ever seen.

Everything has changed. Except the metallic T-1000 from the second movie, he's the same only sent a few years earlier.

And a few years Chinese-ier!

But yeah, trailers are showing way way too much stuff now. Trailers from the OLDEN days of OLD were admittedly terrible even for terrific movies, and ones from today show way too much. I think around the mid 90's trailers had it just right with the "IN A WORLD...." guy and etc.

Here's why.

That's actually pretty good! In my theater, if the movie starts at 5pm you have to sit through 20 minutes of TV commericals, 5 minutes of "Don't forget to shut your iphones off!" commercials, and then 20 minutes of movie previews at the bare minimum. And then after all that it's like "Oh yeah! I'm here to see The Avengers!"

• Like 1

SPOILER ALERT! (Unless you like to watch movie trailers)

I've always thought that movie trailers can be spoilers so if a movie is coming out that I fully intend on seeing, I try to avoid watching its trailers. Recently though I think that movie trailers have become a lot worse at doing this. Furious 7 is a good example of what I'm referring to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k94wBXeauao

So in the movie they come up with a plan that the audience isn't told the details to. The scene changes and they're all sitting in their cars in what appears to be a garage getting ready for something. Suddenly the darkness is drenched in sunlight as a giant door hydraulically opens behind them. Surprise! they're in the back of a C-17 Globemaster flying at 20 thousand feet and they're going to go skydiving with their cars! I didn't see that one coming. (But wait, I did. It was in the trailer.)

Another scene... they have to get an electronic processor out of an exotic sports car in the penthouse of a rich oil sheik. But they've been discovered and time is running out! What are they going to do to get the processor out of the highrise building? How about they drive it out of the side of the building into the adjacent building? WOW! I never saw that one coming. :sarcastic:

Here's another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62E4FJTwSuc

Kyle Reece is sent back in time to protect Sarah Connor from the evil T-800. But when he gets there, lo and behold Sarah Connor isn't the meek, mild-mannered waitress he (and the audience) was expecting. No, she's tough and can not only take care of herself but saves the resistance soldier while ironically using same line Reece said to her from the first movie. "Come with me if you want to live!" So Sarah doesn't need to be saved. And she's already taken care of the clunky T-800 that was such a menace in the first movie with the help of none other than... (drumroll please) old looking and friendly T-800 Arnold! The timeline John has sent Kyle to no longer exists. Everything has changed. Except the metallic T-1000 from the second movie, he's the same only sent a few years earlier.

Am I missing anything? I wish I was but I think that just about wraps up the whole movie and it all came from one trailer.

So here's my question; If the purpose of the movie trailer is to advertise the movie, who are they aiming this trailer at? Do people need this trailer to want to see Terminator Genisis? Those who know the whole story and have seen all of the other movies are going to see it. All they need is a release date. Those who haven't seen the other movies don't really need to know the details of the rebooted plot because they wouldn't know what's going on anyway. All they would need is a few scenes showing the future war and John Connor sending Kyle back to protect his mother from the T-800. This isn't a spoiler for those who've seen all of the other movies and it would be enough to peak the interest of those new to the franchise.

And then there are the comedy trailers that have everything funny about the movie in the trailer.

I'm looking forward to seeing Terminator but now I know way too much about it. These trailers are spoiling movies way more then they need to.

Edited by Rushman14
  • Like 2

Sometimes trailers are better than the film.

Pacific Rim

Dark Knight Rises

Prometheus

Four terrible films, with trailers that got me pumped!

• Like 1

Pacific Rim

Dark Knight Rises

Prometheus

Especially Prometheus, wow that trailer was maybe the best I've ever seen for any movie.

• Like 1

Pacific Rim

Dark Knight Rises

Prometheus

Especially Prometheus, wow that trailer was maybe the best I've ever seen for any movie.

Agreed!

But the movie ended up being another fashion shoot for Charlize Theron.

Sorry, but part of Alien's greatness is relatable, realistic and ordinary human beings. Prometheus...just dreadful. 0/10 from me, worse than even the AVP films (at least they weren't pretensious).

I would go on...I really did hate it.

• Like 1

I was seriously hoping the Sony hack would change the way movies are distributed.

I rented the film just to show my support for the technology.

Music has went from Hating technology (Napster) in 15 years to embracing it.

Movies are behind the curve. And most people still go to the movies out of boredom, or love of the series.

It's why we get so many remakes, sequels instead of originals.

I will watch the trailers now and go, I'll see this in 9 months on HBO.

Or rent it in 3 months if I really want to see it.

Pacific Rim

Dark Knight Rises

Prometheus

Agreed!

Sorry, but part of Alien's greatness is relatable, realistic and ordinary human beings. Prometheus...just dreadful. 0/10 from me, worse than even the AVP films (at least they weren't pretensious).

What astounded me most throughout that movie was just how friggin' STUPID these supposed scientists were:

In that alien cave with all kinds of bacteria and black oily shit all over the place?

LET'S TAKE OUR HELMETS OFF!!

Hey look it's a dangerous worm thing right in front of my face!

LET'S TRY TO PET IT!!

And on and on.. Was very bad.

Now compare this to the utter excellence of the first movie, where people actually had some brains. Remember when they were trying to bring the first victim of the facehugger into the ship? Ripley says no friggin' way, it's a safety / health violation and they all get pissed off and it's this great scene?? Believable and well-acted, why they couldn't learn from scenes like this in the future I'll never know.

• Like 1

Pacific Rim

Dark Knight Rises

Prometheus

Agreed!

What astounded me most throughout that movie was just how friggin' STUPID these supposed scientists were:

In that alien cave with all kinds of bacteria and black oily shit all over the place?

LET'S TAKE OUR HELMETS OFF!!

Hey look it's a dangerous worm thing right in front of my face!

LET'S TRY TO PET IT!!

And on and on.. Was very bad.

Now compare this to the utter excellence of the first movie, where people actually had some brains. Remember when they were trying to bring the first victim of the facehugger into the ship? Ripley says no friggin' way, it's a safety / health violation and they all get pissed off and it's this great scene?? Believable and well-acted, why they couldn't learn from scenes like this in the future I'll never know.

And you cannot blame the director for being out of his depth.

But you can blame him for being absolutely off colour. In all honesty, what happened to Ridley Scott? Yes, I loved his full cut of Kingdom Of Heaven, but he releases tripe after tripe after tripe now. This guy gave us Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, Legend...heck, Thelma And Louise...and now?

Robin Hood

Prometheus

The Counsellor (oh deary me...this stank)

Exodus

Guy lost it.