#41 Unbridledlust

Unbridledlust

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Music, gardening, forestry, cats, cooking, DIY

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:51 PM

View PostNarpsberg, on 27 April 2015 - 03:12 PM, said:

Not in my view or at least not well anyway. HYF is good 8/10 and Presto is about 6/11 but after that is much of a blur and I became disinterested real quick. Everything Signals and back is better than anything after. Just my opinion...

I trust a seasoned opinion :)
I watched the documentary on Netflix recently and kind of cringed when they were in their 'synth' phase. Any musicin would find all those sounds like a playground I'm sure, but I'm glad it was a phase...they are meant to rock hard, synth softens their sound.

Sponsored Post

#42 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27720 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:14 PM

View PostUnbridledlust, on 27 April 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

Not in my view or at least not well anyway. HYF is good 8/10 and Presto is about 6/11 but after that is much of a blur and I became disinterested real quick. Everything Signals and back is better than anything after. Just my opinion...

I watched the documentary on Netflix recently and kind of cringed when they were in their 'synth' phase. Any musicin would find all those sounds like a playground I'm sure, but I'm glad it was a phase...they are meant to rock hard, synth softens their sound.
I enjoyed it early on when I was living it but got off board right around Power Windows. Was busy with life at that time anyway...

#43 stone and a hard place

stone and a hard place

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 968 posts
  • Interests:rush

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:25 PM

Honestly, I love 95% of their entire catalog--but if I couldn't have moving pictures through presto, I probably would have lost interest by now in the band.

I love the 80's stuff.

#44 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27720 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:29 PM

View Poststone and a hard place, on 27 April 2015 - 04:25 PM, said:

Honestly, I love 95% of their entire catalog--but if I couldn't have moving pictures through presto, I probably would have lost interest by now in the band.

I love the 80's stuff.
I enjoy most of it myself but I would trade everything post 81' to get everything before it every day and twice on Sundays and wouldn't think twice about it. Just me...

Edited by Narpsberg, 27 April 2015 - 04:29 PM.

#45 Johnny Gilbert

Johnny Gilbert

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

Think there used to be some of this type thing (fanfiction) in the "Turn the Page" section of the forum.

Edited by Johnny Gilbert, 27 April 2015 - 04:49 PM.

#46 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:12 PM

View PostNarpsberg, on 27 April 2015 - 04:29 PM, said:

View Poststone and a hard place, on 27 April 2015 - 04:25 PM, said:

I love the 80's stuff.
I enjoy most of it myself but I would trade everything post 81' to get everything before it every day and twice on Sundays and wouldn't think twice about it. Just me...

Nope.  Not just you.

Edited by toymaker, 27 April 2015 - 05:12 PM.

#47 x1yyz

x1yyz

The Shark Whisperer

• Members
  • 8821 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:51 PM

View PostUnbridledlust, on 27 April 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

View PostNarpsberg, on 27 April 2015 - 02:58 PM, said:

View PostUnbridledlust, on 27 April 2015 - 02:16 PM, said:

Well, I found one or two places online that have a few Rush stories, but not much I'm interested in...
Personally I don't think its any creepier than the average fan having fantasies, sexual or otherwise, or knowing or interacting with a favorite celebrity, and I'm sure that happens all the time.
I have been a fan for going on 40 years now and am a dude so for me the sexual thing is out (not that there is anything wrong with that) but I have also never really thought about meeting them or dreamed of it. I am Neil's perfect fan as I am really not starstruck and really have never been about musicians, athletes etc. I just enjoy what Rush does, well at least most of it anyway ( after 85' not so much)... :lol:
Personally I think daydreaming about celebrities and what they might do in their off time is more of a girl thing to do :)

I am a girl but I'm not into the whole celebrity thing.  I do appreciate what individuals do and I acknowledge being a fan of various musicians, performers, scientists, activists, etc.  But my fandom pretty much ends there.  From what I know of the guys in Rush they seem like people I would get along with and would have fun hanging out with, and for that reason I would love to meet them--but only in the right circumstances, like we would all go for dinner at a mutual friend's house.  I would never do something like stalk them around town, and honestly, I get a little creeped out by some of the people on this board who aspire to similar things.  But then again, I'm an introvert like Neil and just want other people to leave me alone.

And I think I agree about the 'after 85' thing. I accept that they needed to explore, but I feel they wandered away from their foundations when they did so, but didn't they come back to it a bit after they ditched the heavy synth stuff?

I think so.  I'm another long time fan who first heard and loved Rush in 1980, but fell out of love with them in the latter half of the 80s.  Then, IMO the band came back with a vengeance and Vapor Trails is in my top Rush albums, and Clockworks Angels is not only in my top three, but I also think it's the best thing they've done since 1980 or 81.

View PostUnbridledlust, on 27 April 2015 - 02:22 PM, said:

Ok so I started to new thread for this comment.... So if you wanna add to it, please find the other one....

(((That all being said, I gotta say to you all...

Isn't it amazing that these three guys, out of all the humans in the world, were able to come together and do what they were born to do? Not just that, but with perfect compliment to each other's individual brand of musical genius??
Like they were always three parts of a whole that just needed to find each other?
Personally I am sort of blown away by that...)))

It really is amazing.  They fit so well together and they are great people without so much of the negative stuff that often surrounds other rock stars.  I think that's why they are so special.

#48 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:55 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes Clockwork Angels.

(I know that's an overstatement but it seems fewer and fewer folks are digging it these days)

#49 x1yyz

x1yyz

The Shark Whisperer

• Members
  • 8821 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:58 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 27 April 2015 - 07:55 PM, said:

(I know that's an overstatement but it seems fewer and fewer folks are digging it these days)

You know what I say to them?

:moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

#50 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5896 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:59 PM

View Postx1yyz, on 27 April 2015 - 07:58 PM, said:

Yup - the ol' "eight moon salute"

#51 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27720 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:03 PM

When it comes to VT I don't mind taking it. I like at least half of CA anyway... :)

#52 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5896 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:05 PM

View PostNarpsberg, on 27 April 2015 - 08:03 PM, said:

When it comes to VT I don't mind taking it. I like at least half of CA anyway... :)

Only four moons for you then.  Count yourself lucky!

#53 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27720 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:07 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 27 April 2015 - 08:05 PM, said:

I don't mind a moon or two from time to time from Miss x1yyz... ;)

#54 x1yyz

x1yyz

The Shark Whisperer

• Members
  • 8821 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:24 PM

View PostNarpsberg, on 27 April 2015 - 08:07 PM, said:

View Posttoymaker, on 27 April 2015 - 08:05 PM, said:

I don't mind a moon or two from time to time from Miss x1yyz... ;)

Just for you, Mr. Narpowow: :moon: :moon:

:D

#55 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53733 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 28 April 2015 - 01:12 AM

View PostJohnny Gilbert, on 27 April 2015 - 04:47 PM, said:

Think there used to be some of this type thing (fanfiction) in the "Turn the Page" section of the forum.
Yep.  Turn the Page is the forum for that kind of stuff.

Welcome, u-b-l!

#56 stone and a hard place

stone and a hard place

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 968 posts
  • Interests:rush

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:25 AM

I love it most of all because my children seem to relate to it.

#57 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

Many Happy Returns

• Members *
  • 7194 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:23 PM

A new member wanting to post some fanfic on TRF is no weirder than the gawk-eyed stalker stuff some of the other mental case fanbois on here come out with.

#58 G Lee

G Lee

The Seeker

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Social Work, audiophilia, Ged's beautiful everything, and of course Rush.

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:22 PM

Hell, I'd read well written Rush fanfic if I knew where to find it. That's me though. I grew up reading all kinds of fic, mostly Beatles related band wise. Some of it was great, a lot was crap. Also some was sexual, quite a few were not. Nothing creepy about liking fanfic at all. It's just not for everyone ;).

#59 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

• Members *
  • 14365 posts
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:51 PM

People who write fanfic are just plain weird. Have you read some of the crap that's put there? Awful. Some people have too much time on their hands.

#60 satchmothesnowdog

satchmothesnowdog

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1235 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:07 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 17 May 2015 - 09:51 PM, said:

People who write fanfic are just plain weird. Have you read some of the crap that's put there? Awful. Some people have too much time on their hands.
probably not all they have on their dickbeaters hands

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fanfic, fiction, slash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users