If this is the last Rush tour...

Lorraine

44 members have voted

1. 1. If this is the last Rush tour, are you ok with that?

I know i might get shit for this......but BEYOND Yes. They're playing great......but you could stick a fork in Ged's voice at this point. i'm a little weary of THIS tour, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

I voted yes and no.

It annoys me that I have, in my life, come in on the end of almost everything, and I don't understand why it's been like that for me, but it has. On account of my resurrected enthusiasm and love for Rush, I would love to see them continue.

On the other hand, there's nothing sadder than a bunch of has-beens on stage who are well past retirement age trying to act like they were thirty years earlier. I'm not saying that Rush is doing that, but other bands from the sixties/seventies are doing that, and it's embarrassing and pathetic to behold.

Rush is too good for that. They should walk away from it all with grace and dignity.

• Like 5

Yes and no.

No because it took too long for me to appreciate them so I feel ripped off (even though that's hardly their fault).

Yes because they have been doing this for over 40 years. If they want to walk away, I couldn't blame them.

• Like 3

I'm okay with it. If they don't want to tour anymore and would rather spend time with their families then good for them. They had a fantastic 40 year career with a top 5 album to finish it off.

I would be disappointed though if they wrote another album and didn't tour it, though I'd understand.

• Like 2

I'm okay with it. If they don't want to tour anymore and would rather spend time with their families then good for them. They had a fantastic 40 year career with a top 5 album to finish it off.

I would be disappointed though if they wrote another album and didn't tour it, though I'd understand.

I'm cool with whatever. It'd be a shame to quit writing together though, since CA was such a rebirth. Keep making records fella's...you guys can figure out how to make money with it!

• Like 1

Yes and no, right here. Yes because obviously, they deserve to spend their time however they choose, and I totally understand that as they approach their mid 60s (which is surely how old they'd be on any future tour beyond R40), I can completely understand if that choice does not involve traveling around the world, spending their energy playing music, for the benefit of others. I can agree that they have certainly done enough of that.

And no because I only wish I'd seen them more...and I don't like the thought of the most important band in my lifetime, all that they have meant to me, coming to an end.

I'd also like to forever be that 16-21 year old who was in the audience for almost all of the Rush shows I ever saw. But these wishes are just that; they are an impossible dream.

I'm grateful for every meaningful moment, and everything I've gotten to enjoy.

• Like 1

Isn't it something how a band that has no idea you, as an individual, even exist can be such an important part of your life - like family?

It is quite something, yeah.

I am not the kind of person who would become 'star-struck', at meeting a celebrity or what-have-you. But if I were to meet any or all three of the members of Rush, I would certainly be in awe of them, and of that moment.

They are human beings, though- in many respects no different from the rest of us.

(And then in some other respects- VERY different). ;)

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

Isn't it something how a band that has no idea you, as an individual, even exist can be such an important part of your life - like family?

Yes, and in a way, they have become a part of our family,if this is the end , then so be it, I will will always cherish the memories they gave me :rush:
  • Like 2

Yes and no.

By Yes, I understand if they wanna quit now. They are getting older. And Neil have just got a daughter. And Geddy have been a grandpa. Besides, they are probably a bit tired of touring now.

By No, I, as a fan, fell like I just wanna see them more and more, because they are awesome, and I have only seen them live three times.

Even thou I do not believe this is their last tour. I believe they have more in it.

Edited by YYZumbi
  • Like 2

It is quite something, yeah.

I am not the kind of person who would become 'star-struck', at meeting a celebrity or what-have-you. But if I were to meet any or all three of the members of Rush, I would certainly be in awe of them, and of that moment.

They are human beings, though- in many respects no different from the rest of us.

(And then in some other respects- VERY different). ;)

You're talking to Lorraine, Blue J. :) No need to remind me that they are made of the same stuff we all are. I'm far from starstruck. As you should know. :LOL:

However.....if I ever did meet either Alex or Geddy, I would make a point of making certain that they understood, I mean really understood, just what they mean to some of their fans, and what their music has done for some of the fans. I am thinking of Geddy's Mullet, who once said Rush gave her the will to go on when nothing else could. I am thinking of Lianne who was about to kill herself when a Rush song came on the radio and Alex's guitar wrapped itself around her soul and she changed her mind.

That's the kind of stuff Rush should know. And that is what I would make certain they did know if I ever had the chance to meet them.

• Like 3

Absolutely, Lorraine, I know. :) I wasn't trying to imply anything otherwise; just speaking from my own perspective.

But yes, they have been that important to a great many of us.

But I wonder if they really know that on that level? It's one thing for them to think a whole bunch of fans like their music, but it's another thing to know how deeply some have been affected by their music and what it has meant to them.

If I was a famous musician, and someone told me that, that would mean more to me than anything else. But, that's me. Maybe platinum and gold records mean more to them. I don't know.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

But I wonder if they really know that on that level? It's one thing for them to think a whole bunch of fans like their music, but it's another thing to know how deeply some have been affected by their music and what it has meant to them.

If I was a famous musician, and someone told me that, that would mean more to me than anything else. But, that's me. Maybe platinum and gold records mean more to them. I don't know.

I think they do have some idea of the deeper meanings to people, yeah. Maybe (or rather probably) not to the extent that we experience them.

I think that thirty or even twenty years ago, there wasn't the huge number of people who have taken the music or the lyrics to heart. That is something that has largely happened over the passage of time, and because they have continued to keep doing what they've been doing for so long. Just my opinion.

I think they do have some idea of the deeper meanings to people, yeah. Maybe (or rather probably) not to the extent that we experience them.

I think that thirty or even twenty years ago, there wasn't the huge number of people who have taken the music or the lyrics to heart. That is something that has largely happened over the passage of time, and because they have continued to keep doing what they've been doing for so long. Just my opinion.

I disagree because of my experience with The Moody Blues from 1968 through 1975 - their lyrics (especially their lyrics) and music combined grabbed me as no other band ever. The only one that comes close is Rush.

So connecting with the music and/or lyrics isn't something recent.

Isn't Narps the one who sat in his room in the seventies mesmerized by the lyrics of one of Rush's songs? I forget which one - Madrigal or Cinderalla Man?

• Like 1

I disagree because of my experience with The Moody Blues from 1968 through 1975 - their lyrics (especially their lyrics) and music combined grabbed me as no other band ever. The only one that comes close is Rush.

So connecting with the music and/or lyrics isn't something recent.

Isn't Narps the one who sat in his room in the seventies mesmerized by the lyrics of one of Rush's songs? I forget which one - Madrigal or Cinderalla Man?

I didn't mean that it didn't exist at all; I just mean that at least there seem to be many more people who are willing to talk openly about some deeply personal things now, and the music's relation to those things...or maybe it's more the medium of an online public forum that has encouraged more people to express those things.

• Like 1

Yes I am ok with this.

Honestly, after the incident with the Neil and his wife and daughter, I thought they were never going to come back, but they really loved their fans and wanted to come back. They are getting old, nothing we can do about it bu accept it, even though I want to see them more, it is almost impossible for them to want to continue after over 40 years. This is going to be their last huge tour, and all we can do now is enjoy it!

• Like 1

A year or so ago I would have said no, but now as I'm kind of seeing their reluctance to go out on tour I need to respect that. With the decline of Geddy's vocals it's become apparent that they just need to hang it up soon or become a joke. We wouldn't want EVERY thread here to become about it. We have enough of them now.
  • Like 1

...are you ok with that?

Credit for this thread goes to 2112FirstStreet whose idea it was. :)

Why thank you my dear.

Yes I'm ok with it being the last tour. Physically they are getting to the point where they won't be able to put on a full 3 hour show. And I would hate to have them follow other geezer acts like the Kidney Stones where they milk every last buck. As awesome and enjoyable their career has been, I think they're pretty much over it and want to indulge their other endeavors while they still have quality time.

• Like 1

...are you ok with that?

Why thank you my dear.

Yes I'm ok with it being the last tour. Physically they are getting to the point where they won't be able to put on a full 3 hour show. And I would hate to have them follow other geezer acts like the Kidney Stones where they milk every last buck. As awesome and enjoyable their career has been, I think they're pretty much over it and want to indulge their other endeavors while they still have quality time.

Quite frankly, they should have quit with CA. I don't know how this one will go. It doesn't sound promising, but we will see.

I would never begin a thread that was someone else's idea and take the credit for it myself. :)

• Like 1

...are you ok with that?

Why thank you my dear.

Quite frankly, they should have quit with CA. I don't know how this one will go. It doesn't sound promising, but we will see.

I would never begin a thread that was someone else's idea and take the credit for it myself. :)

i'm worried too.

and no that doesn't mean i hate Rush.

Just covering my fan boy bases, lol

Mick

• Like 1