BAM residency

Justin Case

Here in NYC we've got BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music). At least every few years they do multi part residencies based on specific artists. Each part is different and usually consists 2-3 performances.

For example, a few years ago they did Paul Simon...3 shows of complete 'Songs From the Cape Man', 3 shows focused on 'Graceland' & 'Rhythm of the Saints' (with special guests) & 3 greatest hits shows (with many special guests). I've also seen Dr. John there. The 3 he did were 'A Tribute to Louis Armstrong', 'Tribute to New Orleans' & a showcase of his newest album at the time 'Locked Down'. In 2013 it was John Cale - 'Tribute to Nico" with many guests and a complete performance of 'Paris 1919' followed by a set of semi-obscurities.

These residencies typically are thorough retrospectives containing many rare and unplayed songs and often include special guest musicians and singers BAM also has several rooms of different size, so they don't need to worry about selling out 5,000 seats for a niche album (such as 'Songs From the Cape Man') since they can put that in a 500 seat room.

Certainly, i would never expect to see Rush there....but if they did do this, what would make a great, say 3 part residency? Nothing at all should be off the table...if Ged can't sing it, they can get a special guest to do it. Oh...and usually songs aren't repeated between the different parts, so there should be at least around 6 hours of unique material.

Here would be my picks:

Epics: By-Tor, Necromancer, FOL, 2112, Xanadu, Cygnus X-1, Hemispheres, Natural Science, Fear and a CA medley

Synths: Focused on Signals through HYF

Guitars: Kinda like a retrospective of everything that's left 70s-10s. Tom Sawyer and SoR have gotta go somewhere, right??

Anyhow...if you were the curator, What would you do??