Which Rush Album Has The Best Sound?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Rush Album Has The Best Sound? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Whch Rush album has the best sound?

1. Rush (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Fly By Night (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Caress of Steel (2 votes [4.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.88%

4. 2112 (1 votes [2.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

5. A Farewell To Kings (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Hemispheres (3 votes [7.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.32%

7. Permanent Waves (12 votes [29.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.27%

8. Moving Pictures (12 votes [29.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.27%

9. Signals (1 votes [2.44%] - View)

10. Grace Under Pressure (2 votes [4.88%] - View)

11. Power Windows (2 votes [4.88%] - View)

12. Hold Your Fire (3 votes [7.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.32%

13. Presto (0 votes [0.00%])

14. Roll The Bones (0 votes [0.00%])

15. Counterparts (0 votes [0.00%])

16. Test For Echo (1 votes [2.44%] - View)

17. Vapor Trails (0 votes [0.00%])

18. Snakes & Arrows (2 votes [4.88%] - View)

19. Clockwork Angels (0 votes [0.00%])

20. None. There are no albums outstanding in sound. (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42072 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:51 AM

View PostNarpsberg, on 22 April 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 April 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:

View PostNarpsberg, on 22 April 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 April 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

View PostNarpsberg, on 22 April 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 22 April 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

You notice those 70's albums have wicked guitar solos but your ears don't wanna explode after?  that's good production

"Glares at VT And CA"

Mick
So you mean a buzzing from one ear to the other and back again via your head isn't normal? VT mostly of course...

So I thought it was my tinnitus but it's VT's.
I actually have that too. I have been told its from all the anesthesia I have been subject to over the past couple years...

Mine has suddenly gotten worse for some reason. I thought maybe it was all of the headphone use I've been doing but I've read it's actually a nerve related issue.
Apologies Lorraine for derailing the thread for just a sec. My ENT said there was nothing he could do about it either. It was at it worst not long after my sinus surgery. It has gotten a bit less noticeable since but he said it can't be "fixed"... Carry on folks...
Yeah, I was going to remark how quickly we went from Rush to ear trouble.

Sponsored Post

#22 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27718 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:53 AM

Again. Sorry. Got some errands to run anyway. Enjoy folks... :hi:

#23 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42072 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:54 AM

Bye!

#24 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 17663 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:55 AM

View PostLorraine, on 22 April 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

Remember the interview with Geddy from the late seventies when the interviewer mentioned to him that Fleetwood Mac had just spent a million dollars to produce their latest album and Geddy was shocked and said that even if Rush had that kind of money he didn't think they would ever spend that much to produce an album?

I ask this question because when I listen to albums from other seventies' bands, they sound much better than any Rush album.  Ever.  Even when they could afford the million or two to do so.

Could it be a matter also of more personnel in those other bands, hence a more perfect sounding blend of everyone's instruments, rather than just the three members of Rush?

It may not be...that's just a supposition, on my part. But your point is well taken. Gary Katz comes to mind.

#25 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42072 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:59 AM

View PostBlue J, on 22 April 2015 - 11:55 AM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 22 April 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

Remember the interview with Geddy from the late seventies when the interviewer mentioned to him that Fleetwood Mac had just spent a million dollars to produce their latest album and Geddy was shocked and said that even if Rush had that kind of money he didn't think they would ever spend that much to produce an album?

I ask this question because when I listen to albums from other seventies' bands, they sound much better than any Rush album.  Ever.  Even when they could afford the million or two to do so.

Could it be a matter also of more personnel in those other bands, hence a more perfect sounding blend of everyone's instruments, rather than just the three members of Rush?

It may not be...that's just a supposition, on my part. But your point is well taken. Gary Katz comes to mind.

Even when they had the money to sound phenomenal they didn't spend it.

Have you ever heard a  Rush album that has the sound quality of either Pretzel Logic or Quadrophenia?

#26 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21751 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:18 PM

View PostLorraine, on 22 April 2015 - 11:51 AM, said:

View PostNarpsberg, on 22 April 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 April 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:

View PostNarpsberg, on 22 April 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

You notice those 70's albums have wicked guitar solos but your ears don't wanna explode after?  that's good production

"Glares at VT And CA"

Mick
So you mean a buzzing from one ear to the other and back again via your head isn't normal? VT mostly of course...

I actually have that too. I have been told its from all the anesthesia I have been subject to over the past couple years...

Mine has suddenly gotten worse for some reason. I thought maybe it was all of the headphone use I've been doing but I've read it's actually a nerve related issue.
Apologies Lorraine for derailing the thread for just a sec. My ENT said there was nothing he could do about it either. It was at it worst not long after my sinus surgery. It has gotten a bit less noticeable since but he said it can't be "fixed"... Carry on folks...
Yeah, I was going to remark how quickly we went from Rush to ear trouble.

Wouldn't be the first time and it won't be the last time a thread gets derailed.

#27 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17663 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:19 PM

With Rush, I don't think it was a matter of not wanting to spend the money required to achieve a particular sound, but the whole notion of trying to replicate something (or someone) else, that they didn't want to do. For good or ill, I think they've always been looking at every album as a clean slate, of sorts- an opportunity to do something they've never done before. Sometimes it has worked really well, and other times not as well.

#28 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21751 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:22 PM

View PostBlue J, on 22 April 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

With Rush, I don't think it was a matter of not wanting to spend the money required to achieve a particular sound, but the whole notion of trying to replicate something (or someone) else, that they didn't want to do. For good or ill, I think they've always been looking at every album as a clean slate, of sorts- an opportunity to do something they've never done before. Sometimes it has worked really well, and other times not as well.

I think they've always trying to experiment with each new album. They are human and so they can make mistakes.  The 90s was a big huge mistake,  but other than that they did pretty well.  :)

#29 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 9561 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:25 PM

View PostBlue J, on 22 April 2015 - 11:40 AM, said:

"Glares at VT And CA"

Mick

It's but a short, short distance from VT's to the DT's. :lol:

(I really shouldn't joke about something like that, but the acronyms were too much to resist).

I have an endless amount of toxic soul-sucking drug addicts in my family (functioning and non-functioning alcoholics too) and joking about the stuff is a great way to cope. you beat your addiction, you've earned the right to laugh

"no more jokes" isn't one of the 12 steps :D

#30 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 9561 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:26 PM

anyway, everything 78-87 has KILLER production

#31 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17663 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:30 PM

View Postbathory, on 22 April 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

View PostBlue J, on 22 April 2015 - 11:40 AM, said:

"Glares at VT And CA"

Mick

It's but a short, short distance from VT's to the DT's. :lol:

(I really shouldn't joke about something like that, but the acronyms were too much to resist).

I have an endless amount of toxic soul-sucking drug addicts in my family (functioning and non-functioning alcoholics too) and joking about the stuff is a great way to cope. you beat your addiction, you've earned the right to laugh

"no more jokes" isn't one of the 12 steps :D

Me too! And I am one. But living healthy for a good while now.

Just didn't want to ruffle anybody else's feathers with it, that's all.

#32 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17663 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:32 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 April 2015 - 12:22 PM, said:

View PostBlue J, on 22 April 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

I think they've always trying to experiment with each new album. They are human and so they can make mistakes.  The 90s was a big huge mistake,  but other than that they did pretty well.  :)

Yeah, exactly. We can debate what the specific successes and failures have been, but you and I have the same basic idea.

#33 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

Vapor Trail

• Members *
  • 18664 posts
  • Interests:Vinyl records and music in general.

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:59 PM

I think that all of their albums sounds good, except for Vapor Trails, Rush In Rio, Clockwork Angels and Clockwork Angels Tour.

Vapor Trails they did a remix on, so now that is fixed. I could not listen to this album before they remixed it, gave me a headache!

Rush In Rio, they have fixed the audio on the new DVD/Blu ray, so now they should give it out on a remastered CD as well. I still can´t listen to the CD, and I could not either watch the video, but I enjoy the remastered video, so please remaster the CD as well now!

Clockwork Angels sounds good, if you use vinyl and also if you download the album in Flac using the download code that comes with the vinyl. It does not sound muddy at all, everything sounds clean, like it should! You can read about it in this thread: http://www.therushfo...work-angels-cd/

And Clockwork Angels Tour sounds good if you download the 24bit lossless version from http://www.hdtracks....ork-angels-tour I could not listen to the CD, but the 24bit version is a huge improvement!

So I see no problems really...

Edited by YYZumbi, 22 April 2015 - 02:07 PM.

#34 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27718 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:10 PM

^^^ Really? Glad you see the glass half full at all times. More power to ya... :cheers:

#35 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17663 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:22 PM

I would love to get Clockwork Angels on vinyl, so I can get those FLAC codes. I'd love to hear it, cleaned up.

#36 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

Vapor Trail

• Members *
  • 18664 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:23 PM

View PostBlue J, on 22 April 2015 - 02:22 PM, said:

I would love to get Clockwork Angels on vinyl, so I can get those FLAC codes. I'd love to hear it, cleaned up.

Have you bought the CD?

#37 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42072 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:25 PM

Why can't they get it right the first time?  Hmmm??  Why should I have to keep spending money to get a good sounding album as they issue remix and remaster after remix and remaster??  :)  

:cool:

#38 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

Vapor Trail

• Members *
  • 18664 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:26 PM

View PostLorraine, on 22 April 2015 - 02:25 PM, said:

Why can't they get it right the first time?  Hmmm??  Why should I have to keep spending money to get a good sounding album as they issue remix and remaster after remix and remaster??  :)  

It's called business

#39 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42072 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:28 PM

View PostYYZumbi, on 22 April 2015 - 02:26 PM, said:

It's called business

Then it's true that the fans are only good for their money.

#40 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

Vapor Trail

• Members *
  • 18664 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:30 PM

View PostLorraine, on 22 April 2015 - 02:28 PM, said:

View PostYYZumbi, on 22 April 2015 - 02:26 PM, said:

It's called business

Then it's true that the fans are only good for their money.

I don't think it is Rush that decide that. It's the record company.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users