More Spoilers

98 replies to this topic

#41 rocket ignites

rocket ignites

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5530 posts
  • Interests:Poker. Minnesota Vikings/Twins/T-Wolves. Being a glass half-full advocate for post 1982 Rush.

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:21 PM

It would be interesting if they kept the Anarchist.  Not trying to assume, but I'd figure Headlong Flight and maybe title track off CA...

As far as 80's stuff goes, if they're swapping songs in and out...Red Lenses/Kid Gloves is intriguing.  I would personally dump both for The Enemy Within to rep GUP.

Sponsored Post

#42 Mills1988

Mills1988

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:00 PM

hoping for nothing from Clockwork.  Had just about the whole thing last time.  enough is enough.

#43 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27718 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:03 PM

View PostMills1988, on 22 April 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

hoping for nothing from Clockwork.  Had just about the whole thing last time.  enough is enough.
I'll take The Garden at the right moment if anthing. I generally agree however...

#44 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21751 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:04 PM

View PostNarpsberg, on 22 April 2015 - 06:03 PM, said:

I'll take The Garden at the right moment if anthing. I generally agree however...

No interest in hearing The Garden without the orchestra. A canned one would be a little tacky after the last tour.

#45 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27718 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:06 PM

View PostA rocket that ignites itself, on 22 April 2015 - 05:21 PM, said:

As far as 80's stuff goes, if they're swapping songs in and out...Red Lenses/Kid Gloves is intriguing.  I would personally dump both for The Enemy Within to rep GUP.
Agree with this but I always would prefer Red Sector A or Distant Early Warning or both...

#46 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6448 posts
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:08 PM

View PostVan Squalen, on 22 April 2015 - 12:09 PM, said:

Those 3 tracks are just fine in the set.

Yes that's exactly it, just fine. They have a lot of much better stuff that's been ignored for eons. Oh yeah, it ain't "sophisticated" Mr Lee.

View PostCaressMySteel, on 22 April 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:

So, according to Johnny's source so far we've got 1. Far Cry with a Hemi Prelude intro, 2. Red Lenses, 3. Kid Gloves and 4. The Anarchist.  I can live with that.  I really like Far Cry and The Anarchist and any little bit of Hemispheres should be cool.

Ending prelude right into FC would be a fine example of Rush not understanding why their early stuff is so popular. To trample a vintage classic of theirs with a mediocre/ decent yodel fest ruins the effort of bringing back prelude.

Hey let's downtune earthshine and ram it into the ending of overture. No a fair comparison, overture is always played, yet the fans would howl at that.

No time to cherish the prelude,  let's trample it with something we warbled thru the last five times we've played here.

View Postbathory, on 22 April 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

those of us younger than 45 can now see one of alex's best solos in kid gloves

red lenses is a head-scratcher but they seem to be doing the opposite of what folks on TRF want them to do, so maybe we should all talk about how we DON'T want to hear xanadu and jacob's ladder. reverse psychology or some shit

Good point, except for that kid gloves stuff.

View Postbigbobby10, on 22 April 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

I dont get how people wouldn't mind Red Lenses, but hate losing it and don't want that live.

I really love Kid Gloves though.

Anarchist is good also

Anarchist is an excellent warble fest, good tune. One CA tune is ok, but any more and they just don't get it after that last set list.

You don't get it, how bout this hypothetical-
Red lenses and kid gloves is released on Kings instead of Xanadu and Cygnus. Probably you wouldn't be reading this because,

They probably never pick up the loyal fan base from the 70s, big enough to keep paying to go to arena shows, after a quick toom Sawyeah  burst ;) not big enough to last so long, and not big enough to have a forum with such a following

#47 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27718 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:08 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 April 2015 - 06:04 PM, said:

View PostNarpsberg, on 22 April 2015 - 06:03 PM, said:

No interest in hearing The Garden without the orchestra. A canned one would be a little tacky after the last tour.
I did stipulate "if anything". Nothing it is then. Agreed... :lol:

#48 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27718 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:11 PM

View PostGabrielgil513, on 22 April 2015 - 06:08 PM, said:

View PostVan Squalen, on 22 April 2015 - 12:09 PM, said:

Those 3 tracks are just fine in the set.

Yes that's exactly it, just fine. They have a lot of much better stuff that's been ignored for eons. Oh yeah, it ain't "sophisticated" Mr Lee.

View PostCaressMySteel, on 22 April 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:

So, according to Johnny's source so far we've got 1. Far Cry with a Hemi Prelude intro, 2. Red Lenses, 3. Kid Gloves and 4. The Anarchist.  I can live with that.  I really like Far Cry and The Anarchist and any little bit of Hemispheres should be cool.

Ending prelude right into FC would be a fine example of Rush not understanding why their early stuff is so popular. To trample a vintage classic of theirs with a mediocre/ decent yodel fest ruins the effort of bringing back prelude.

Hey let's downtune earthshine and ram it into the ending of overture. No a fair comparison, overture is always played, yet the fans would howl at that.

No time to cherish the prelude,  let's trample it with something we warbled thru the last five times we've played here.

View Postbathory, on 22 April 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

those of us younger than 45 can now see one of alex's best solos in kid gloves

red lenses is a head-scratcher but they seem to be doing the opposite of what folks on TRF want them to do, so maybe we should all talk about how we DON'T want to hear xanadu and jacob's ladder. reverse psychology or some shit

Good point, except for that kid gloves stuff.

View Postbigbobby10, on 22 April 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

I dont get how people wouldn't mind Red Lenses, but hate losing it and don't want that live.

I really love Kid Gloves though.

Anarchist is good also

Anarchist is an excellent warble fest, good tune. One CA tune is ok, but any more and they just don't get it after that last set list.

You don't get it, how bout this hypothetical-
Red lenses and kid gloves is released on Kings instead of Xanadu and Cygnus. Probably you wouldn't be reading this because,

They probably never pick up the loyal fan base from the 70s, big enough to keep paying to go to arena shows, after a quick toom Sawyeah  burst ;) not big enough to last so long, and not big enough to have a forum with such a following
:cheerleader: Preach on... :popcorn:

#49 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 3761 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:20 PM

I think I read somewhere that Kid Gloves is one of Alex's favorite solos. So that's likely the reasoning behind playing a pretty 'meh' song.

#50 rocket ignites

rocket ignites

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5530 posts
  • Interests:Poker. Minnesota Vikings/Twins/T-Wolves. Being a glass half-full advocate for post 1982 Rush.

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:33 PM

2-3 songs off of CA seems pretty reasonable to me.  5-6 off of S&A would be great too just for the meltdown in this forum... :16ton:

#51 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27718 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:35 PM

View PostA rocket that ignites itself, on 22 April 2015 - 06:33 PM, said:

2-3 songs off of CA seems pretty reasonable to me.  5-6 off of S&A would be great too just for the meltdown in this forum... :16ton:
My @ss used for hand warmers again if thats the case...

#52 rocket ignites

rocket ignites

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5530 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:38 PM

:clap:

#53 CaressMySteel

CaressMySteel

The Seeker

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:26 PM

I'm hoping for The Anarchist and Carnies. They both rock hard. I would prefer to hear them over anything off CP, RTB or HYF.

#54 Supersyl

Supersyl

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:02 PM

No Electronic Kit = No Red Lenses, Red Sector A, Scars or Mystic Rhythms.... You can't just turn around and play them on the acoustic kit as if nothing ever happened... The WAY to play those songs is dictated by the back kit tom placements and also uses the front kit.. .And back in the P\G days, the 6" and 8" toms were right next to the back kit, now they are way forward..... Unless Neil would drastically reinvent the drums to Red Lenses, I don't see it happening.....

#55 DirkPrattLerxst

DirkPrattLerxst

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1139 posts
  • Interests:Professional air bassist/drummer/guitarist

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:14 PM

No. Red Lenses is the only Rush song I don't like. Kid Gloves is good though.

#56 mrfriendly

mrfriendly

The Seeker

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:23 PM

Some serious dislike for Red Lenses here, what is it that people don't like about it so much, I always thought it had a cool groove, loved the bass line and stands out on that record. Kid Gloves I don't mind but might be the most "normal" sounding straight ahead rock track on that album.

I think we can safely say that Anarchist is the one guarantee in the set based on that crank bunny instagram pic.

#57 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6448 posts
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:34 PM

Well, Alex gave major hint on setlist. Specifically mentioned last tour they explored 80s in depth, such as PoW and HYF, and specifically said they will not be doing that as much this time. From Rush is a Band-

...that the setlist will be comprehensive and that they dug deep for material. They'll be playing a good bit of older material that they haven't played in a while that will include a good cross-section of songs spanning their 40-year career. He also mentioned that since they covered a lot of the 80s material on the last tour, they won't focus on that as much for R40.

#58 JDC

JDC

The Seeker

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:36 PM

View PostSupersyl, on 22 April 2015 - 08:02 PM, said:

No Electronic Kit = No Red Lenses, Red Sector A, Scars or Mystic Rhythms.... You can't just turn around and play them on the acoustic kit as if nothing ever happened... The WAY to play those songs is dictated by the back kit tom placements and also uses the front kit.. .And back in the P\G days, the 6" and 8" toms were right next to the back kit, now they are way forward..... Unless Neil would drastically reinvent the drums to Red Lenses, I don't see it happening.....
Even though he isn't bringing the full electronic kit, he's still got 3 v-drums as part of the R40 kit.  2 on the right above the floor toms and 1 on the left, Neil could pull off any of these songs with his acoustic kit and 3 pads.  He could also change the drum part as he did on The Body Electric on the last tour.  I wouldn't put any song on the "can't play without electronic drums" list.

#59 mrfriendly

mrfriendly

The Seeker

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:40 PM

View PostGabrielgil513, on 22 April 2015 - 08:34 PM, said:

Well, Alex gave major hint on setlist. Specifically mentioned last tour they explored 80s in depth, such as PoW and HYF, and specifically said they will not be doing that as much this time. From Rush is a Band-

He did specifically point out PoW and HYF, so this guys Kid Gloves and Red Lenses spoiler still could be true, found that interesting.

View PostJDC, on 22 April 2015 - 08:36 PM, said:

View PostSupersyl, on 22 April 2015 - 08:02 PM, said:

Even though he isn't bringing the full electronic kit, he's still got 3 v-drums as part of the R40 kit.  2 on the right above the floor toms and 1 on the left, Neil could pull off any of these songs with his acoustic kit and 3 pads.  He could also change the drum part as he did on The Body Electric on the last tour.  I wouldn't put any song on the "can't play without electronic drums" list.

Completely agree, although I would say Red Sector A and Mystic Rhythms should be played with that electronic kit not to say it would be impossible without it but it just fits the song right. Red Lenses could definitely be pulled off without that kit.

#60 CaressMySteel

CaressMySteel

The Seeker

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:43 PM

View PostGabrielgil513, on 22 April 2015 - 08:34 PM, said:

...that the setlist will be comprehensive and that they dug deep for material. They'll be playing a good bit of older material that they haven't played in a while that will include a good cross-section of songs spanning their 40-year career. He also mentioned that since they covered a lot of the 80s material on the last tour, they won't focus on that as much for R40.
Dig deep?  Like Fly By Night deep?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users