New R40 Les Paul announced

elvtnedge

I had a tip about this about 2 months ago but couldn't say anything. Here it is from musicians friend

In celebration of Rush's 40th Anniversary, Gibson Custom presents the Limited Edition Alex Lifeson R40 Les Paul Axcess, offered in a run of 50 guitars with a 7A Quilt Maple top, hand-signed and played by Alex Lifeson in a lush Ruby Red R40 finish. It also features a Limited Edition "Starman" R40 die-caste medallion covering the rhythm/treble switch access cavity.

Created through extensive work with Alex Lifeson himself, the Gibson Custom Signed Alex Lifeson 40th Anniversary Les Paul Axcess Quilt similarly redefines the boundaries of the classic Les Paul: packed in a single remarkable instrument, this guitar carries all of the traditional tones that have made the Les Paul legendary, along with unprecedented levels of sonic and performance versatility.

In addition to its traditional Les Paul tonewoods, the Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess carries two high-output humbucking pickups with series/parallel wiring options via its push-pull volume controls, and a Floyd Rose licensed unit that not only provides the world's most efficient vibrato system, but is also loaded with Graph Tech Ghost piezo bridge saddles.

Access traditional Gibson magnetic humbucker tones, mix it up with fat and funky series/parallel options, tap the Ghost's realistic acoustic tones, or blend acoustic and magnetic voices - the sky's the limit from this sonic chameleon whose sound-shifting depths are virtually limitless. What’s more, you can route it all through a traditional mono jack (labeled "Regular") using a single guitar cable, or use two cables to split your sonic trickery off into separate output paths using the "Regular" and the "Life-O-Sound" output jacks together.

All this, and the Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess still presents that timeless Les Paul look that has remained a classic for more than 50 years. Hardshell case included.

FEATURES

Body

Body shape: Single cutaway

Body type: Solid body

Body material: Solid wood

Top wood: Maple 7A quilted

Body wood: Mahogany

Body finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose

Orientation: Right handed

Neck

Neck shape: Rounded axcess profile

Neck wood: Mahogany 1-piece

Joint: Set-in

Scale length: 24.75"

Truss rod: Standard

Neck finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose

Fretboard

Material: Rosewood bound

Radius: 12"

Fret size: Medium jumbo

Number of frets: 22

Inlays: Trapezoid

Nut width: 1.687" (42.8mm)

Pickups

Configuration: HH

Neck: 496R

Middle: Not applicable

Bridge: 498T

Brand: Gibson

Active or passive: Passive

Series or parallel: Switchable

Piezo: Yes

Active EQ: No

Special electronics: Push/pull volume controls, Dual outputs

Controls

Control layout: Volume 1, volume 2, volume 3, master tone

Pickup switch: 3-way

Coil tap or split: No

Kill switch: No

Hardware

Bridge type: Tremolo/Vibrato

Bridge design: Graphtech Ghost piezo system-equipped Floyd Rose

Tailpiece: Not applicable

Tuning machines: Kluson deluxe

Color: Chrome

Other

Number of strings: 6-string

Special features: Pickups, Signature model

Case: Hardshell case

Accessories: Certificate of authenticity

Country of origin: United States

Only 25 signed by Alex are available worldwide. Order yours.

7A quilt? Seriously? I am sure it's pretty. I wonder how many thousands this thing will be. More cashing in...

7A quilt? Seriously? I am sure it's pretty. I wonder how many thousands this thing will be. More cashing in...

$10,699. Here's the link

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-custom-alex-lifeson-40th-anniversary-of-rush-les-paul-axcess-signed?rNtt=alex%20lifeson&index=3

$10,699. Here's the link

http://www.musicians...lifeson&index=3

A limited run of 50 will sell out, even at that price, because there are at least 50 Rush geeks out there with disposable income that will buy one because they can. And that's fine -- Gibson is making a product in a limited quantity that they know will sell at a high price, and that's just business. Sure it's a shameless money grab, but it's business. Of course it makes someone like me NOT want one even more.

• Like 4

Probably a beautiful guitar. But no way in hell would I pay for that, when I could get the regular Axcess model for a 1/4th of the price. Gibson with a tremolo bar is a Gibson with a tremolo bar. Pickup swapping is well within my capabilities.

Good god! That's the street price. Seriously you could get any Les Paul and put that stuff on it and it would still be less than $3500. Looks like the regular version AL LP Axcess is still in production, at least according to the Gibson site with an MSRP of $4599 which means the street price is closer to $3000. Still a bit much, but it's pretty tricked out. Guitar prices are out of hand.
  • Like 1

$10,699. Here's the link

A limited run of 50 will sell out, even at that price, because there are at least 50 Rush geeks out there with disposable income that will buy one because they can. And that's fine -- Gibson is making a product in a limited quantity that they know will sell at a high price, and that's just business. Sure it's a shameless money grab, but it's business. Of course it makes someone like me NOT want one even more.

Yeah, I agree with NOT wanting one, as well as people with disposable income buying them. You could get 3 different Les Pauls for that price.

I tricked my Lester out myself but I would like to add a piezo bridge. Don't really need a whammy.

Good god! That's the street price. Seriously you could get any Les Paul and put that stuff on it and it would still be less than $3500. Looks like the regular version AL LP Axcess is still in production, at least according to the Gibson site with an MSRP of $4599 which means the street price is closer to $3000. Still a bit much, but it's pretty tricked out. Guitar prices are out of hand.

With Korean and Japanese guitar manufacturers starting to up their build quality, American companies are happy to jack up the price of their "Made in USA" guitars.

$10,699. Here's the link

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-custom-alex-lifeson-40th-anniversary-of-rush-les-paul-axcess-signed?rNtt=alex%20lifeson&index=3

...and an MSRP of $15,056.00. I'd rather put $10,000.00 into sometime that reproduces music, not creates it.

With Korean and Japanese guitar manufacturers starting to up their build quality, American companies are happy to jack up the price of their "Made in USA" guitars.

In the case of Fender some of the foreign models out play the Americans already. Some Epiphones are nice but there is something about a good Gibson that feels more substantial compared to the corresponding Epi. X factor stuff. The ratios and angles are not quite the same. But yeah, there are good Chinese made guitars being made these days too. But they can be sketchy as well.

In this case you're definitely only paying for the autograph and the little starman toggle switch indicator. It would be a little different if it was a different color or included some of Alex's blood in the paint. :D

Well he's played a model like this for years, not so with the acoustic. Either way it's a marketing ploy for Big Al's pending retirement. This is the first time I've seen a 7A maple in a description. 5 had been the prime for so long. It's all marketing. Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

$10,699. Here's the link

Demand must be low. It's already on sale. :huh:

$10,699. Here's the link

Demand must be low. It's already on sale. :huh:

:LOL:

• Like 1

Well, if you want to a 5A budget version, in a limited run of 200, this one is for you!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-custom-alex-lifeson-40th-anniversary-of-rush-les-paul-axcess?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=COvyoMm8jMUCFZWCaQod-lUAjQ&kwid=productads-plaid^18283950120-sku^J22066000001000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^46504699467#productDetail

I'd give $25 for one of the R40 medallions and put it on my Epiphone LP, if they were for sale. :)

So that is 3 versions of this guitar from Gibson. That we know of.

There are plenty of better things to do with ten grand than spend it on a new guitar. :)

There are plenty of better things to do with ten grand than spend it on a new guitar. :)

For you, perhaps (for me too), but it's not a universal rule. Different strokes for different folks.

Yes for me. And you apperantly. Who said it's a universal truth? The only ones who think this is a good idea are guitar manufacturers.

Like spend it on LOTS OF GUITARS

Right. You can get 3 or 4 Les Pauls for that price.

• Like 1

Yes for me. And you apperantly. Who said it's a universal truth? The only ones who think this is a good idea are guitar manufacturers.

You and your absolutes. ;)

I noticed that they are using the 496 and 498 pickups...gah, those are sterile and harsh sounding. I had them in my Gibson and swapped them out. in a day and age where bassoons, violins, and classical guitars require mortgages, 10k is not outrageous for an instrument....production model gibby? Maybe too much by more than half.