Your personal top ten favorite Rush albums

CaressMySteel

Pardon me if this has been done before (I'm sure it has). But, since I'm pretty new to the board, I thought it would be interesting to see how the members rate their top ten favorite studio albums. I always find it interesting how opinions differ on these types of things.

My personal top ten (any given day could shuffle the ultimate arrangement I suppose):

10. Snakes and Arrows - Rush's best album in more than two decades when it came out in 2007. It brought me back and even made me give albums like Test for Echo and Counterparts another shot.

9. Power Windows - I was 13 when Power Windows came out. My older brothers had already turned me on to 2112, Moving Pictures, etc. But, this was MY first Rush album. Big Money has nooooo Soul!

8. Clockwork Angels - Just a masterful album start to finish. If it is the band's Coda, it's a worthy way to punctuate such a remarkable career.

7. Signals - The one, two punch of Subdivisions and The Analog Kid to open the album is awesome. Digital Man, New World Man, Countdown. I like them all.

6. Hemispheres - An example of everything that makes Rush different than any other rock band in the world.

5. Permanent Waves - Not a weak song on the album. The beginning riff of The Spirit of Radio is one of the all-timers and Lee's vocals at the end of Freewill are unforgettable.

4. Fly By Night - I love this album from the beginning heavy riffs of Anthem to the ending echoes of In the End. I even like Rivendell (so sue me).

3. A Farewell to Kings - It features two of my favorite Rush songs of all time, Closer to the Heart and Xanadu. For me, Xanadu is Rush's Magnum Opus.

2. Moving Pictures - Yeah, it rocks. This album stands the test of time. The drum fills on YYZ, Tom Sawyer and Limelight feature Neil Peart at his finest.

1. 2112 - This is where it all started for me. This is the gold standard as far as I am concerned and the soundtrack to much of my youth.

Edited by CaressMySteel
  • Like 3

Pardon me if this has been done before (I'm sure it has). But, since I'm pretty new to the board, I thought it would be interesting to see how the members rate their top ten favorite studio albums. I always find it interesting how opinions differ on these types of things.

My personal top ten (any given day could shuffle the ultimate arrangement I suppose):

10. Snakes and Arrows - Rush's best album in more than two decades when it came out in 2007. It brought me back and even made me give albums like Test for Echo and Counterparts another shot.

9. Power Windows - I was 13 when Power Windows came out. My older brothers had already turned me on to 2112, Moving Pictures, etc. But, this was MY first Rush album. Big Money has nooooo Soul!

8. Clockwork Angels - Just a masterful album start to finish. If it is the band's Coda, it's a worthy way to punctuate such a remarkable career.

7. Signals - The one, two punch of Subdivisions and The Analog Kid to open the album is awesome. Digital Man, New World Man, Countdown. I like them all.

6. Hemispheres - An example of everything that makes Rush different than any other rock band in the world.

5. Permanent Waves - Not a weak song on the album. The beginning riff of The Spirit of Radio is one of the all-timers and Lee's vocals at the end of Freewill are unforgettable.

4. Fly By Night - I love this album from the beginning heavy riffs of Anthem to the ending echoes of In the End. I even like Rivendell (so sue me).

3. A Farewell to Kings - It features two of my favorite Rush songs of all time, Closer to the Heart and Xanadu. For me, Xanadu is Rush's Magnum Opus.

2. Moving Pictures - Yeah, it rocks. This album stands the test of time. The drum fills on YYZ, Tom Sawyerand Limelight feature Neil Peart at his finest.

1. 2112 - This is where it all started for me. This is the gold standard as far as I am concerned and the soundtrack to much of my youth.

Cool that you have 2112 at the top of your list. Believe it or not it doesn't get all the respect it deserves around here in my opinion. Of course the Debut is nowhere to be found. Nothing unusual around here either. Its probably barely out of my top 10 also. Can't remember. I would have to go find my list around here somewhere to be sure or make another one. AFTK is always at the top of mine...
  • Like 1

OK.........I'm doing this cause still quiet here. lol

1. Hemispheres

2. Permanent Waves

3. Power Windows

4. Signals

5. Caress of Steel

6. Presto

7. Moving Pictures

8. Hold your Fire

9. Snakes (Shut up, lol)

10. 2112

Mick

• Like 1

Me too - anything so I don't fall asleep at the board.

1. Hemispheres

2. Permanent Waves

3. Signals

4. A Farewell To Kings

5. Moving Pictures

6. Fly By Night

7. Caress of Steel

8. Test For Echo

9. Clockwork Angels

I don't have ten top favorites. These nine are my favorite albums. The others I can take or leave. I included CA because I think it's the best they've done since Signals even though I don't care for that many songs on the album.

• Like 4

I found my post and list from last September. Nothing has really changed much it doesn't appear....

Ask and ye shall receive. Studio albums only as we should all know what my absolute favorite is by now....

A Farewell To Kings (Xanadu and a steaming pile according to some :) )

2112 (I love both sides alot)

Permanent Waves

Hemispheres

Moving Pictures

Caress Of Steel

Signals

Rush

Fly By Night

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Clockwork Angels

Counterparts

Test For Echo

Roll The Bones

Snakes & Arrows

Vapor Trails (the sound is just to awful. It probably has better songs than at least the three above but the sound puts it at the bottom)

None of these surprise me much. I do really love the elite 8 of HYF but I can't move it past 85' and before. Just can't. Some I admit may just be nostalgia but it is what it is...

Edited by Narpski, 10 September 2014 - 08:21 PM.

Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 2

1. Hemispheres

2. A Farewell to Kings

3. Permanent Waves

4. Moving Pictures

5. 2112

6. Signals

7. Caress of Steel

8. Fly By Night

9. Power Windows

10. Test For Echo

• Like 2

2. Moving Pictures - Yeah, it rocks. This album stands the test of time. The drum fills on YYZ, Tom Sawyerand Limelight feature Neil Peart at his finest.

Cool that you have 2112 at the top of your list. Believe it or not it doesn't get all the respect it deserves around here in my opinion. Of course the Debut is nowhere to be found. Nothing unusual around here either. Its probably barely out of my top 10 also. Can't remember. I would have to go find my list around here somewhere to be sure or make another one. AFTK is always at the top of mine...

I can see 2112 not getting as much respect as it deserves on a Rush forum. It's one of those that people just take for granted. Kind of like Tom Sawyer. You've heard Tom Sawyer a million times, doesn't make it any less bad ass. And, yes, the debut is probably right outside the top ten for me. That and Caress of Steel.

Caress Of Steel

Hemispheres

Farewell To Kings

Moving Pictures

Permanent Waves

Fly By Night

Clockwork Angels

Rush

Signals

• Like 3

Tied in 1st:

Counterparts

Grace Under Pressure

3. Hemispheres

4. Signals

5. Moving Pictures

6. Clockwork Angels

7. Power Windows

8. Permanent Waves

9. Snakes And Arrows

10. 2112

Counterparts contends to be the "best sounding" album and rocks really hard, while retaining their virtuosic chips they're known for. Ged returned to the Fender, Alex rarely sounds better than he does on here, boy does he tear it up, and Neil goes absolute ham as usual. Excellent songs such as Nobody's Hero, Everyday Glory, Cut To The Chase.

Grace Under Pressure was the first album I loved at first whole listen through. A lot of people poop on Red Lenses but it is a fantastic song, and the rest of the album rocks pretty hard. The one-two punch of DEW and Afterimage is enough to make your spine crawl.

Hemispheres is Hemispheres. I shouldn't need to say more.

Apart from Chemistry, Signals has some of their best songs, Subdivisions, Analog Kid, The Weapon, and underrated gems like Countdown and Digital Man.

Moving Pictures, same as Hemispheres.

Clockwork Angels is that album that shows a band who's been around for 40 years can truly deliver work that can race neck and neck with their earlier stuff. I am still blown away by this one, and I'm glad the band went to new heights with this one and the tour.

Power Windows, their last truly good album of their younger peak years (78-85). Geddy's best album for vocals, and Alex's guitar work on Marathon alone is worth the price of admission.

Permanent Waves has one of their finest tracks ever written, Natural Science. The album is good from beginning to end with lots of different moods. Jacob's Ladder still hasn't won me over yet, but it's growing ever so slowly.

Snakes And Arrows, while it has its sameness throughout that people bitch about a lot, has some really good songs, and hidden gems. Some of Geddy's best and most inventive bass playing is on here, and I like Alex's more extensive use of the acoustic guitar.

2112 is the reverse rotten sandwich. The bread (title track and SFN) is the finest bread in the world, then things are still pretty good as you go deeper (Bangkok and Tears), then it gets disgustingly bad in the middle (Twilight Zone and Lessons). That being said, Lessons is a grower. Twilight Zone remains one of their worst recordings ever, though.

For shits and giggles, the last 10.

11. Vapor Trails

12. Test For Echo

13. Hold Your Fire

14. A Farewell To Kings

15. Fly By Night

16. Caress Of Steel

17. Roll The Bones

18. Presto

19. Rush

• Like 1

OK.........I'm doing this cause still quiet here. lol

1. Hemispheres

2. Permanent Waves

3. Power Windows

4. Signals

5. Caress of Steel

6. Presto

7. Moving Pictures

8. Hold your Fire

9. Snakes (Shut up, lol)

10. 2112

Mick

ATTABOY SNAKES!

• Like 1

10: 2112

A wonderful first side, I often think of 2112 as being one of the pinnacles of the sidelong epic era. Not as enamoured with the second half, which is overall consistently good, but I often return to the first side of this album only. A moving story, with beautiful music, lyrics and exceptional vocals from Geddy Lee, would rank this album as an 8/10, with a 10/10 first side.

9. Hemispheres

So I am quite harsh towards this album. I just never quite manage to enjoy it as much as other fans, but it has a phenomenal second side (LVS, anyone?), with a not-to-shabby first side to boot. I may prefer 2112's epic to this albums, but overall I enjoy the whole of this album a lot more. Not a fan of the artwork either (not that I am judging the music by that image). 8/10

8. Caress Of Steel

Now I just absolutely love everything about this album! Bastille Day is one of my very favourite Rush songs ever, and I Think I'm Going Bald is a massively underrated gem, with its goofball humour matching mine exactly (listen close and you can hear the "Eat My Poo!"'s muffled in the mix). I also really enjoy Lakeside Park and The Necromancer is a real gem. Now The Fountain Of Lamneth is the making of this album, and it is a sublime, yet imperfect, showcase for the bands talents, and their ambition. One big weakness is the spoken word segemnts of The Necromancer. They neither sound clear, or keep the pace of the otherwise fantastic song. Annoying (but the solo's make up for it!). Near perfect, Caress Of Steel is just phenomenal. 9/10

7. Vapor Trails/Remix

A controversial album. But a classic one! If Freeze and Out Of The Cradle were removed, this would be a 10/10 and a top three album, no lie. Sweet Miracle, Earthshine, Nocturne, Peacable Kingdom, Ceilings Unlimited, Ghost Rider...I love it all! Near flawless, the harsh production actually enhances the urgency and bitterness of the music. 9/10

6. Presto

Now Rush are not an AOR band. But based on Presto alone, it is apparent that if they were, they could have been a mighty good one! I love every song on this album, with only one small caveat: the backing vocals during the chorus of Superconductor. Trivial, maybe. But honestly, I enjoy the song a lot aside from that massive flaw. Chain Lightning, Presto, Available Light and The Pass are four of my top ten Rush songs, with CL being perhaps my favourite of them all. Cannot explain why, but I love that song so much. 9/10

5. Grace Under Pressure

Not a flaw, or a blemish. But it does have one great song noticeably less great than the rest: Red Lenses. The weakest song of any album in my top five, it is the sole reason this is no longer top four. But Distant Early Warning, Afterimage, Red Sector A and The Body Electric are amongst my highest rated tracks of any band. Many say this is a disappointing album, but I think it is a lot better than Signals. The darkness of the music is perfectly accentuated by the coldness of the production, and no review of this album is complete without praise for the gorgeous artwork. And I also really enjoy The Police, so the influence evident in this album is a plus point (but overall, this album doesn't come across as derivative). 10/10

4. Permanent Waves

I cannot fault this album. Until recently I had grown cold towards it, but upon revisiting it all of those urgent, enthusiastic feelings that I initially had towards it the first time I discovered this band came flooding back! Just an all round great album. Natural Science is perhaps my pick of a great bunch. 10/10

3. Hold Your Fire

My top three could be ordered anyway you like, as it changes constantly. But their is no denying that this is an important part of my top three, and some days Hold Your Fire is my favourite. Second Nature, Mission, Turn The Page, Tai Shan...great song after great song, alongside some sterling production and many exquisite melodies, I also find this to be one of my favourite albums for Alex. Some great playing is to be heard on this release. 10/10

2. Moving Pictures

Red Barchetta and Witch Hunt on one album. Also included: The Camera Eye, YYZ, Limelight, Tom Sawyer...Vital Signs....10/10

1. A Farewell To Kings

Occasionally usurped by HYF or MP in my affections, this is another flawless Rush album. Playing it recently, I was also struck by just how beautiful Madrigal is as a standalone track as well. But for me, side A with the title track and Xanadu is what rocks my world. This album will always be my absolute favourite, even if on occasion it does take a slight back seat to the two previous albums. I also really admire the cover art. 10/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

1. Hemispheres

2. A Farewell to Kings

3. Permanent Waves

4. Moving Pictures

5. 2112

6. Caress of Steel

7. Fly By Night

8. Power Windows

9. Signals

10. Grace Under Pressure

Great list but I'm getting your wife on the phone anyway... :LOL:
  • Like 1

1. Hemispheres

2. A Farewell to Kings

3. Permanent Waves

4. Moving Pictures

5. 2112

6. Caress of Steel

7. Fly By Night

8. Power Windows

9. Signals

10. Grace Under Pressure

i love this list.

My man keeping it 85' and earlier. Can't make any mistakes doing that... :cheers: :codger: Gonna have to talk to his wife however about AFTK not being first. He might be spending a couple nights on the couch... :LOL: Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 2

A wonderful first side, I often think of 2112 as being one of the pinnacles of the sidelong epic era. Not as enamoured with the second half, which is overall consistently good, but I often return to the first side of this album only. A moving story, with beautiful music, lyrics and exceptional vocals from Geddy Lee, would rank this album as an 8/10, with a 10/10 first side.

9. Hemispheres

So I am quite harsh towards this album. I just never quite manage to enjoy it as much as other fans, but it has a phenomenal second side (LVS, anyone?), with a not-to-shabby first side to boot. I may prefer 2112's epic to this albums, but overall I enjoy the whole of this album a lot more. Not a fan of the artwork either (not that I am judging the music by that image). 8/10

8. Caress Of Steel

Now I just absolutely love everything about this album! Bastille Day is one of my very favourite Rush songs ever, and I Think I'm Going Bald is a massively underrated gem, with its goofball humour matching mine exactly (listen close and you can hear the "Eat My Poo!"'s muffled in the mix). I also really enjoy Lakeside Park and The Necromancer is a real gem. Now The Fountain Of Lamneth is the making of this album, and it is a sublime, yet imperfect, showcase for the bands talents, and their ambition. One big weakness is the spoken word segemnts of The Necromancer. They neither sound clear, or keep the pace of the otherwise fantastic song. Annoying (but the solo's make up for it!). Near perfect, Caress Of Steel is just phenomenal. 9/10

7. Vapor Trails/Remix

A controversial album. But a classic one! If Freeze and Out Of The Cradle were removed, this would be a 10/10 and a top three album, no lie. Sweet Miracle, Earthshine, Nocturne, Peacable Kingdom, Ceilings Unlimited, Ghost Rider...I love it all! Near flawless, the harsh production actually enhances the urgency and bitterness of the music. 9/10

6. Presto

Now Rush are not an AOR band. But based on Presto alone, it is apparent that if they were, they could have been a mighty good one! I love every song on this album, with only one small caveat: the backing vocals during the chorus of Superconductor. Trivial, maybe. But honestly, I enjoy the song a lot aside from that massive flaw. Chain Lightning, Presto, Available Light and The Pass are four of my top ten Rush songs, with CL being perhaps my favourite of them all. Cannot explain why, but I love that song so much. 9/10

5. Grace Under Pressure

Not a flaw, or a blemish. But it does have one great song noticeably less great than the rest: Red Lenses. The weakest song of any album in my top five, it is the sole reason this is no longer top four. But Distant Early Warning, Afterimage, Red Sector A and The Body Electric are amongst my highest rated tracks of any band. Many say this is a disappointing album, but I think it is a lot better than Signals. The darkness of the music is perfectly accentuated by the coldness of the production, and no review of this album is complete without praise for the gorgeous artwork. And I also really enjoy The Police, so the influence evident in this album is a plus point (but overall, this album doesn't come across as derivative). 10/10

4. Permanent Waves

I cannot fault this album. Until recently I had grown cold towards it, but upon revisiting it all of those urgent, enthusiastic feelings that I initially had towards it the first time I discovered this band came flooding back! Just an all round great album. Natural Science is perhaps my pick of a great bunch. 10/10

3. Hold Your Fire

My top three could be ordered anyway you like, as it changes constantly. But their is no denying that this is an important part of my top three, and some days Hold Your Fire is my favourite. Second Nature, Mission, Turn The Page, Tai Shan...great song after great song, alongside some sterling production and many exquisite melodies, I also find this to be one of my favourite albums for Alex. Some great playing is to be heard on this release. 10/10

2. Moving Pictures

Red Barchetta and Witch Hunt on one album. Also included: The Camera Eye, YYZ, Limelight, Tom Sawyer...Vital Signs....10/10

1. A Farewell To Kings

Occasionally usurped by HYF or MP in my affections, this is another flawless Rush album. Playing it recently, I was also struck by just how beautiful Madrigal is as a standalone track as well. But for me, side A with the title track and Xanadu is what rocks my world. This album will always be my absolute favourite, even if on occasion it does take a slight back seat to the two previous albums. I also really admire the cover art. 10/10

Nice numero uno mr segue. The rest ain't to bad either. Dig deep on 2112 side two if you already haven't. Love it myself. Its fun, it rocks and is poignant all rolled into one... :cheers: my friend
  • Like 2

1. Hemispheres

2. A Farewell to Kings

3. Permanent Waves

4. Moving Pictures

5. 2112

6. Caress of Steel

7. Fly By Night

8. Power Windows

9. Signals

10. Grace Under Pressure

i love this list.

My man keeping it 85' and earlier. Can't make any mistakes doing that... :cheers: :codger: Gonna have to talk to his wife however about AFTK not being first. He might be spending a couple nights on the couch... :LOL:

Saturday we sat outside drinking and listening to music. I told her Hemispheres is my favorite now and she was just like "well it is a perfect album, play it." I don't think she's jumping ship with me though. I should've said it was Test for Echo. Now that would've got a WTF reaction. :LOL:

• Like 1

1) A Farewell To Kings

2) Hemispheres

3) Caress Of Steel

4) 2112

5) Fly By Night

6) RUSH

7) Permanent Waves

big drop off . . .

Signals

Moving Pictures

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 4

1) A Farewell To Kings

2) Hemispheres

3) Caress Of Steel

4) 2112

5) Fly By Night

6) RUSH

7) Permanent Waves

big drop off . . .

Signals

Moving Pictures

^^^ Nice...
  • Like 1

Tied in 1st:

Counterparts

Grace Under Pressure

3. Hemispheres

4. Signals

5. Moving Pictures

6. Clockwork Angels

7. Power Windows

8. Permanent Waves

9. Snakes And Arrows

10. 2112

Counterparts contends to be the "best sounding" album and rocks really hard, while retaining their virtuosic chips they're known for. Ged returned to the Fender, Alex rarely sounds better than he does on here, boy does he tear it up, and Neil goes absolute ham as usual. Excellent songs such as Nobody's Hero, Everyday Glory, Cut To The Chase.

Grace Under Pressure was the first album I loved at first whole listen through. A lot of people poop on Red Lenses but it is a fantastic song, and the rest of the album rocks pretty hard. The one-two punch of DEW and Afterimage is enough to make your spine crawl.

Hemispheres is Hemispheres. I shouldn't need to say more.

Apart from Chemistry, Signals has some of their best songs, Subdivisions, Analog Kid, The Weapon, and underrated gems like Countdown and Digital Man.

Moving Pictures, same as Hemispheres.

Clockwork Angels is that album that shows a band who's been around for 40 years can truly deliver work that can race neck and neck with their earlier stuff. I am still blown away by this one, and I'm glad the band went to new heights with this one and the tour.

Power Windows, their last truly good album of their younger peak years (78-85). Geddy's best album for vocals, and Alex's guitar work on Marathon alone is worth the price of admission.

Permanent Waves has one of their finest tracks ever written, Natural Science. The album is good from beginning to end with lots of different moods. Jacob's Ladder still hasn't won me over yet, but it's growing ever so slowly.

Snakes And Arrows, while it has its sameness throughout that people bitch about a lot, has some really good songs, and hidden gems. Some of Geddy's best and most inventive bass playing is on here, and I like Alex's more extensive use of the acoustic guitar.

2112 is the reverse rotten sandwich. The bread (title track and SFN) is the finest bread in the world, then things are still pretty good as you go deeper (Bangkok and Tears), then it gets disgustingly bad in the middle (Twilight Zone and Lessons). That being said, Lessons is a grower. Twilight Zone remains one of their worst recordings ever, though.

For shits and giggles, the last 10.

11. Vapor Trails

12. Test For Echo

13. Hold Your Fire

14. A Farewell To Kings

15. Fly By Night

16. Caress Of Steel

17. Roll The Bones

18. Presto

19. Rush

NUmber 6 is real nice

• Like 1

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

A Farewell to Kings

Moving Pictures

Signals

Caress of Steel

Fly By Night

Grace Under Pressure

Clockwork Angels

Today, anyway...

• Like 3

(No order)

Hemispheres

A Farewell to Kings

Counterparts

Test for Echo

Signals

Power Windows

Grace Under Pressure

Vapor Trails (Remix)

Permanent Waves

Clockwork Angels is close as well as Moving Pictures

Edited by DirkPrattLerxst

9. Hemispheres

8. Caress Of Steel

7. Vapor Trails/Remix

6. Presto

5. Grace Under Pressure

4. Permanent Waves

3. Hold Your Fire

2. Moving Pictures

1. A Farewell To Kings

Nice numero uno mr segue. The rest ain't to bad either. Dig deep on 2112 side two if you already haven't. Love it myself. Its fun, it rocks and is poignant all rolled into one... :cheers: my friend

I do like every song on 2112...so that at least sets me apart from most of the naysayers!

• Like 1