Rush Bootleg Official Releases?

tas7

Not seen a topic thread on this but who's releasing all these bootlegs officially. Have just seen one called The Lady Gone Electric 1974 which has entered the UK rock charts. Due for release on 27th April is Rush at the Kiel Auditorium 1980. Are they being re mastered? Who is releasing them and are they official releases?

I think it they were "official" you'd see them on the Rush website...They're still bootlegs, and unless someone found a more pristine version of the original tapes, I'd be willing to bet that they are the same ones that we've been listening to for 20+ years...

The only bootleg that have become official is ABC 1974. It is the same recording as The Fifth Order Of Angels.

Rest of the bootlegs that are being sold are just from people that make them.

The only bootleg that have become official is ABC 1974. It is the same recording as The Fifth Order Of Angels.

How do you figure? If it's NOT on Rush's site, then it's NOT official!

ABC 1974 is not official.

Read this, and also click on the link that I have linked on that thread. Then you guys will see that it is a official release!

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/90398-abc-1974-is-a-official-album/page__hl__1974

Edited by YYZumbi

yes, you can pay money to people that have nothing to do with Rush for a product which you could have easily gotten for free at any point over the last 15 years. As an added bonus, some of these recordings for sale are of inferior quality (verified from MP3 sources) compared to the previously free and lossless versions. It's a classic lose-lose-lose trifecta!

ABC 1974 is not official.

Read this, and also click on the link that I have linked on that thread. Then you guys will see that it is a official release!

http://www.therushfo.../page__hl__1974

None of that proves anything...if it were an official release, then Rush would be selling it at shows and on their website, bottom line! That's just a silver bootleg that gets around the copyright laws. If the person that's selling it is sending them royalties, then good for him....

yes, you can pay money to people that have nothing to do with Rush for a product which you could have easily gotten for free at any point over the last 15 years. As an added bonus, some of these recordings for sale are of inferior quality (verified from MP3 sources) compared to the previously free and lossless versions. It's a classic lose-lose-lose trifecta!

80 to 90 % of this stuff is crap!!!!
  • Like 1

80 to 90 % of this stuff is crap!!!!

Not sure if you're agreeing with me or are one of those that like to waste money buying from bootleggers?

Edited by cygnify

The labels are not associated with the band (The 3 Rush "Grey market" releases, including this St. Louis 80 release, are on the labels: "Left Field Media", "Rox Vox" and "Sonic Boom".) These are labels fabricated to exploit a loophole in the law that allows them to sell radio broadcasts from the USA in the UK without remuneration to Rush or Rush's label. Fans around the world then spend their money to import a disc that is actually sourced from MP3 files that are freely available on trading sites. I understand if people want to have a "collectible", but they should know that they are paying for a bootleg. Apparently, none of the money goes to Rush - but some douche bag probably makes out really well...
  • Like 1

If the band didn't want them out there, they'd stop them...some bands are totally against bootlegs of any type being distributed in any way (i.e. Robert Fripp and anything King Crimson related)

Some don't want them sold, some don't care.. And I'm sure in some cases, it's more of a hassle to get them pulled, than it is to to just leave them be...and they are out there...

The labels are not associated with the band (The 3 Rush "Grey market" releases, including this St. Louis 80 release, are on the labels: "Left Field Media", "Rox Vox" and "Sonic Boom".) These are labels fabricated to exploit a loophole in the law that allows them to sell radio broadcasts from the USA in the UK without remuneration to Rush or Rush's label. Fans around the world then spend their money to import a disc that is actually sourced from MP3 files that are freely available on trading sites. I understand if people want to have a "collectible", but they should know that they are paying for a bootleg. Apparently, none of the money goes to Rush - but some douche bag probably makes out really well...

As you said, the common thread in the three releases thus far are that they were originally broadcast in the US. There is at least one other low hanging fruit -- the Grace Under Pressure tour first simulcast in 1986 still left. That one won't be touched because Rush released it themselves.

http://www.amazon.co...y gone electric

http://www.amazon.co...kiel auditorium

Being listed on Amazon means official release? First one has charted in the UK.

Official Releases:

http://www.rushbacks...iscs/index.html

Why is Grace under pressure tour (1984) not listed?

It was part of the Replay Box Set:

http://www.rushbackstage.com/rushbackstage/media-260/dvd-and-video/rush-replay-x3-dvd.html

Rush's input on bootlegs

http://www.rushtrader.com/rushon.htm

Yeah, I remember reading some of those at one point....

I just think that most of the time it's just not worth the hassle since they aren't doing anything that's overly detrimental to the band's existence by releasing or trading a live concert..unless you're a control freak like Robert Fripp (and subsequently Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree, who started working with him a few years back, and he got his "attitude" about these kinds of things) that doesn't want anything that he doesn't have a hand in released! (and seeing that Robert started releasing his own "bootlegs" of shows, he wants to make all of the money)

Like the disclaimer on Dimeadozen reads: "BTW, the ROIOs (Recordings Of Indeterminate Origin) exist, you can't make them vanish. So, why not let your fans get them for free from one another instead of having to purchase them from commercial bootleggers on auction sites?"

My theory...if a good boot comes out and someone is selling it...do what we did back in the day...pool your money...buy ONE and freely trade it with people...and if you see someone bidding on it on E-Bay or something...send them an email and say "send me some blanks" and I'll send you a copy! We did a LOT of that way way back! Otherwise...trade away people!

"ABC 1974" and "The Spirit of the Airwaves" are both offered on iTunes, which leads me to believe that Rush does indeed see income from these.

Just out of curiosity I wandered over...couldn't find either?