The BBQ thread!

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#41 Lost In Xanadu

Lost In Xanadu

Coach Cheesehead

• Members
  • 21420 posts
  • Interests:Drinking, smoking, drugs, Justin Bieber, lying on the internet.

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:47 PM

View PostPrime Mover and Shaker, on 21 April 2015 - 03:42 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 21 April 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 21 April 2015 - 12:38 PM, said:

this is my smoker...
Posted Image

Nothing fancy, just a plain old electric water smoker. I like it because it was fairly cheap ($70 or so at Home Depot) and very consistent. No coals to tend to keep a steady temp. Basically - this is what I do - prep the meat/fish the day before. For pork, I spread a thin layer of mustard on (not a fan of mustard, but you don't taste it much in the final product... it helps with holding the rub and holding that smoke flavor) and then put the rub on.

I smoke pork more than anything, and ribs are the standard 3-2-1 method. (3 hours of smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil, no smoke, 1 hour out of the foil, no smoke) and for the pork (shoulder or loin are great) I smoke for about 6 hours, then wrap in foil for at least 2 more hours without smoke. Basically the same for brisket too. I also "mop" every hour using a spray bottle filled with beer, apple cider and cider vinegar.

I soak wood chips for a half hour or so, I like apple and hickory with everything but fish - cherry and apple are my favorites for fish. I don't like mesquite - too strong. I put a handful around the heating element, fill the water reservoir with only water (only really needed for moisture, not flavor) and let it go.
Very effective pork prep. You're hereby an honorary southern gentleman

I have a similar smoker, but I'm considering upgrading.  I can't add chips without removing the meat, so sometimes I'm low on smoke flavor when all is said and done.  Plus, I'd prefer a front-opening smoker I can see into.

I'm really liking the tri-tips I'm cooking lately.

I've noticed that a strong brine in the water pan can affect flavor a bit, but you're right - it's really more about moisture.

Much more of the flavoring comes from the marinade (which I sometimes inject into the meat), and obviously the rub.
That one is real easy for me... the whole cylinder in the middle lifts off the base using the handles. I pull it up, set it aside, add chips and set it back on the base. Easy as can be. No door needed :)

Sponsored Post

#42 Prime Mover and Shaker

Prime Mover and Shaker

SOCN Court Jester

• Members *
  • 10327 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:50 PM

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 21 April 2015 - 03:47 PM, said:

this is my smoker...
Posted Image

Nothing fancy, just a plain old electric water smoker. I like it because it was fairly cheap ($70 or so at Home Depot) and very consistent. No coals to tend to keep a steady temp. Basically - this is what I do - prep the meat/fish the day before. For pork, I spread a thin layer of mustard on (not a fan of mustard, but you don't taste it much in the final product... it helps with holding the rub and holding that smoke flavor) and then put the rub on.

I smoke pork more than anything, and ribs are the standard 3-2-1 method. (3 hours of smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil, no smoke, 1 hour out of the foil, no smoke) and for the pork (shoulder or loin are great) I smoke for about 6 hours, then wrap in foil for at least 2 more hours without smoke. Basically the same for brisket too. I also "mop" every hour using a spray bottle filled with beer, apple cider and cider vinegar.

I soak wood chips for a half hour or so, I like apple and hickory with everything but fish - cherry and apple are my favorites for fish. I don't like mesquite - too strong. I put a handful around the heating element, fill the water reservoir with only water (only really needed for moisture, not flavor) and let it go.

I have a similar smoker, but I'm considering upgrading.  I can't add chips without removing the meat, so sometimes I'm low on smoke flavor when all is said and done.  Plus, I'd prefer a front-opening smoker I can see into.

I've noticed that a strong brine in the water pan can affect flavor a bit, but you're right - it's really more about moisture.

Much more of the flavoring comes from the marinade (which I sometimes inject into the meat), and obviously the rub.
That one is real easy for me... the whole cylinder in the middle lifts off the base using the handles. I pull it up, set it aside, add chips and set it back on the base. Easy as can be. No door needed :)

Mine basically does the same, but no handles!!!  Infuriating!

It was free, though....  so I guess you get what you pay for.

#43 troutman

troutman

My views are fishy

• Members *
  • 44549 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:05 PM

View Posttroutman, on 21 April 2015 - 03:16 PM, said:

this is my smoker...
Posted Image

Thanks Bro. :ebert:

What about this one?

Its the 3rd one down. $88.00 bucks.

http://www.homedepot...oker?style=List

Edited by troutman, 21 April 2015 - 04:05 PM.

#44 Lost In Xanadu

Lost In Xanadu

Coach Cheesehead

• Members
  • 21420 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:25 PM

I actually had that one too. It was good, but I upgraded a bit. That one does not have a temp dial... but it doesn't matter much - I really never mess with the dial on the one I have now. Plus I left that red one out in the snow and it rusted up on me... It did a great job for years though.

#45 Lost In Xanadu

Lost In Xanadu

Coach Cheesehead

• Members
  • 21420 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:26 PM

View PostPrime Mover and Shaker, on 21 April 2015 - 03:50 PM, said:

this is my smoker...
Posted Image

Get a drill and 2 wooden handles... that'll fix your issue for like $10.

#46 troutman

troutman

My views are fishy

• Members *
  • 44549 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:41 PM

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 21 April 2015 - 04:25 PM, said:

I actually had that one too. It was good, but I upgraded a bit. That one does not have a temp dial... but it doesn't matter much - I really never mess with the dial on the one I have now. Plus I left that red one out in the snow and it rusted up on me... It did a great job for years though.

I didn't see the one you have.

#47 Lost In Xanadu

Lost In Xanadu

Coach Cheesehead

• Members
  • 21420 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:45 PM

View Posttroutman, on 21 April 2015 - 04:41 PM, said:

Yeah, it was a clearance thing a few years back. I think to make room for newer stuff. that red one is very good for an entry level smoker. It comes with lava rock to put under the element, but I leave them out - makes room for the wood chips :)

#48 troutman

troutman

My views are fishy

• Members *
  • 44549 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 21 April 2015 - 04:45 PM, said:

View Posttroutman, on 21 April 2015 - 04:41 PM, said:

Yeah, it was a clearance thing a few years back. I think to make room for newer stuff. that red one is very good for an entry level smoker. It comes with lava rock to put under the element, but I leave them out - makes room for the wood chips :)

Thanks,

Plus I can cover it so it doesn't rust. Probably pick one up in June.

#49 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

• Members *
  • 14440 posts
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:45 PM

Officially the "best" BBQ joint in TN is located less than 15 minutes from my house...it's a dive...and always packed. It was voted on statewide, and beat all takers.

The featured appetizer is saltine crackers and a blue cheese dip that'll blow your mind. It's packed every time the doors are open. If any of you dudes ever make it this way, I'll take you there myself. The owner lives next to my brother in law.  

It's in a "Holler":

Edited by Tombstone Mountain, 21 April 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#50 BowlCity

BowlCity

Cutler's Like a Knife (but it feels so right)

• Members *
  • 10519 posts
  • Interests:Video games, computer programming, guitar, Da Bears and Cubs

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:27 PM

Blue cheese is not yet something I've acquired the taste for, but I keep trying. Some of the funkiest stuff.

#51 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

• Members *
  • 14440 posts
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:35 PM

View PostBowlCity, on 21 April 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

Blue cheese is not yet something I've acquired the taste for, but I keep trying. Some of the funkiest stuff.
Like I said the place is a dive, and the menu has quirks. I never thought it was be a good combination, but it rocks!

#52 Digital Man

Digital Man

He's got a force field and a flexible plan...

• 8407 posts
  • Interests:My Beautiful Fiancee Sundog, all our kids, RUSH, cigars, beer, Tequila, RUSH, bbqing, snow skiing

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:48 PM

this is my smoker...
Posted Image

Haven't tried an electric one yet.  I have a barrel style with the fire box on the side.  It works well but I need to get a bigger one.  Sunny and her kids didn't know if they'd like smoked meats so I bought a small one, it's time to upgrade.  Do they smoke about the same flavor wise? I find that the food is never very tasty for me the first night because I have been standing in the smoke when tending the coals and wood, the leftovers are much better the next day.  I love BBQing and grilling.  I have a smoker, gas grill and a charcoal bbq and sometimes I have all three going at once making food for most of the week.

#53 Digital Man

Digital Man

He's got a force field and a flexible plan...

• 8407 posts
  • Interests:My Beautiful Fiancee Sundog, all our kids, RUSH, cigars, beer, Tequila, RUSH, bbqing, snow skiing

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:49 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 21 April 2015 - 06:35 PM, said:

Like I said the place is a dive, and the menu has quirks. I never thought it was be a good combination, but it rocks!

Blue cheese is amazing, blue cheese dressing is the best dip for hot wings.

#54 BowlCity

BowlCity

• Members *
  • 10519 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:50 PM

View PostDigital Man, on 21 April 2015 - 06:48 PM, said:

this is my smoker...
Posted Image

Haven't tried an electric one yet.  I have a barrel style with the fire box on the side.  It works well but I need to get a bigger one.  Sunny and her kids didn't know if they'd like smoked meats so I bought a small one, it's time to upgrade.  Do they smoke about the same flavor wise? I find that the food is never very tasty for me the first night because I have been standing in the smoke when tending the coals and wood, the leftovers are much better the next day.  I love BBQing and grilling.  I have a smoker, gas grill and a charcoal bbq and sometimes I have all three going at once making food for most of the week.

I'm sure standing in the smoke all day is going to make the smoky food less enjoyable.

But another thing to think about (and something I encourage regardless) is that sometimes smoked BBQ is even better the day after, cause all that flavor in the juices plus the smokiness develops overnight. Leftover smoked chicken on sandwiches :haz:

#55 BowlCity

BowlCity

• Members *
  • 10519 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:51 PM

View PostDigital Man, on 21 April 2015 - 06:49 PM, said:

I usually don't dip my wings, the sauce does its job for me. Living in the Midwest means I'm surrounded by ranch dressing too, possibly one of the worst foods ever created.

#56 Prime Mover and Shaker

Prime Mover and Shaker

SOCN Court Jester

• Members *
  • 10327 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:02 PM

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 21 April 2015 - 04:26 PM, said:

View PostPrime Mover and Shaker, on 21 April 2015 - 03:50 PM, said:

this is my smoker...
Posted Image

Get a drill and 2 wooden handles... that'll fix your issue for like $10.

True, but it robs me of my impetus to get a new one!!!

#57 Xanadu

Xanadu

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1703 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:04 PM

Love BBQ. I could probably live on BBQ alone.

#58 Lost In Xanadu

Lost In Xanadu

Coach Cheesehead

• Members
  • 21420 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:22 AM

View PostBowlCity, on 21 April 2015 - 06:51 PM, said:

View PostDigital Man, on 21 April 2015 - 06:49 PM, said:

I usually don't dip my wings, the sauce does its job for me. Living in the Midwest means I'm surrounded by ranch dressing too, possibly one of the worst foods ever created.
Me either, I like wings straight - no dipping. I will dip celery in blue cheese or ranch dressing.

Blue cheese was definitely something that took a while for me to develop a taste for. One of my favorite salads that I have ever had was at a restaurant in Milwaukee (which I recreate all the time at home.) Basically mixed greens tossed in a red wine vinaigrette topped with candied walnuts, blue cheese and pear segments poached in red wine and grape juice.

#59 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 66878 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:39 AM

Posted Image

A great way to spend Labor Day.

#60 Lost In Xanadu

Lost In Xanadu

Coach Cheesehead

• Members
  • 21420 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:45 AM

View Postgoose, on 22 April 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:

Posted Image

A great way to spend Labor Day.
Posted Image
"Best in the West."  Heh heh heh, that rhymes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users