Is Alex underrated or overrated?

Captain Avatar

In the Making of 2112/Moving Pictures documentary Geddy states what Rush fans so often say, which is that Alex is one of the most underrated guitarists ever.

Let me state at the outset, Rush are my favorite band and Alex is a key reason for that. I love his chord choices and his use of arpeggiation. I love the way that he pays attention to the message of the song and does what he can to fit the mood of the song (examples include his "lonely" guitar solo on Limelight, his "exotic" sound on YYZ, evoking travel to distant lands via airplane, and his "spooky" sound on Twilight Zone, to name just a few). He serves the song first, and shows off later, if at all. He's the consummate team player, allowing Geddy and Neil the freedom to grab the technical spotlight time and again. He wants to write great songs, whether or not he ends up standing out technically. For all of those reasons, I love the guy.

But after watching the documentary, I asked myself if I agreed with Geddy or not. Is Alex truly underrated as a guitarist?

My opinion: He's both underrated and overrated, for different reasons.

Why do I think he's underrated? Because Rush are a legendary Rock band with more classic songs and riffs than many other bands can boast, and if we're going by today's oft-quoted polls, so many technically mediocre guitarists are labelled "great" simply because they've been in legendary bands. Guys like George Harrison, John Lennon, Kurt Cobain, and even Jimmy Page (although I don't think he's really mediocre...just not a technical virtuoso) are always near the top of "great guitarists" lists. By that standard alone, Alex should be near the top, given Rush's forty-year resume of classic riffs and songs. Yet so often, he is completely ignored, or found at or near the bottom (Rolling Stone anyone?)

Why do I think he's overrated? Because Rush are always talked about as "masters of their instruments," "musicians' musicians," and "virtuosos." However, I think Neil and Geddy wear that label more accurately than does Alex. It could simply be that, as I argued above, Alex has been content to let Geddy and Neil play the role of virtuoso, but I think it's probably more than that. He's certainly technically much better than many guitarists (including, IMO, the ones I cited above), but I don't think Alex is as good on his instrument as Geddy and Neil are on theirs. If we're simply talking technical ability, Neil and Geddy are legitimate (rock) virtuosos, and Alex is really good. I believe the title "virtuoso" is applied to Alex more because of his connection with Geddy and Neil than because of what he's displayed on Rush albums. In that way, I think he's a bit overrated.

Do you agree? Why or why not?

• Like 1

Underrated, and I think your definition of virtuoso is incorrect in the context you're speaking of. He isn't a full shredder like Vai or a guitarist who singlehandedly changed the style of rock like Page or Hendrix, but he plays the guitar in his own unique way. His technical proficiency is well documented of course, but not a constant barrage of it like Ged and Neil display. He's a lot more subtle with his playing, and has been this way since around Hemispheres onward, when he finally started molding his own style and stopped emulating his influences like he did up to that point.
  • Like 7

He hasn't been hyped by the music media THAT's the problem! He has a distinct style, and people can't appreciate him because they don't hype him like some other guys...and he doesn't win the polls...and isn't a top guitar player in Playboy's skewed poll...etc.....

And with all of that..who cares? he's OURS! :ebert: :clap: :guitar:

Alex has always been underrated especially in comparison to Geddy and Neil. Being in a three piece band makes every individual player stick out, and someone would have to be the least noticed. I always thought it was funny that being the guitar player in a band automatically means you get attention, but with him it never quite worked that way. With Geddy singing, playing keyboards and bass people just looked at him and said "wow!". With all of Neil's use of the extra percussion people would look at him and say "wow!. Then there's poor Alex. :D
  • Like 2

Alex has always been underrated especially in comparison to Geddy and Neil. Being in a three piece band makes every individual player stick out, and someone would have to be the least noticed. I always thought it was funny that being the guitar player in a band automatically means you get attention, but with him it never quite worked that way. With Geddy singing, playing keyboards and bass people just looked at him and said "wow!". With all of Neil's use of the extra percussion people would look at him and say "wow!. Then there's poor Alex. :D

Plus, arguably there are more flashy guitar players who are backed by good-but-not great rhythm sections in the world than there are amazing bassists and drummers. These flashy players tend to get all the exposure. I happen to think Alex can shred with the best of them and has some lead licks that I've never heard anyone else do. He doesn't do a lot of "divebombs" and other flashy tricks like that; when he does something cool with a whammy bar it's usually pretty tasteful, though. But yeah, being in a band with a bassist that is so manic and chopsy and a drummer that seems to have an extra arm, it's hard to stand out.

• Like 2

In the 70's/early 80's underrated.

Now kinda overrated. dude hasn't played anything worth remembering in a while.

I disagree. Once again, I feel quite fortunate that I'm not being chased away by the alleged headache-inducing brickwalling of Clockwork Angels; I'm still loving the album and cheerfully fixing all of Lifeson's great playing into my long-term memory.

• Like 4

I disagree. Once again, I feel quite fortunate that I'm not being chased away by the alleged headache-inducing brickwalling of Clockwork Angels; I'm still loving the album and cheerfully fixing all of Lifeson's great playing into my long-term memory.

Cheers to you. Rock on. :cheers:

See fan boys. that was the appropriate reaction, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

:LOL: :cheers:

• Like 1

Mick

Is it fan boy or fan boi? I think I have seen both... :huh: :)

Mick

I fluctuate depending on my anger

Fan Boi is more an insult to me lol

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

I fluctuate depending on my anger

Fan Boi is more an insult to me lol

Mick

Cool. Thanks for the explanation... :cheers:
  • Like 1