1-0-0-1-0-0-1

It was just nine months ago that Mr. Not reached 50,000 posts -- out of nowhere, too. He went on a 1,500+ post spamming run in a week to get there. It caught me by surprise so I didn't have the 50,000 post level icon ready in time, and quite honestly, once I found out he reached 50k I didn't rush to complete it...because of how he reached it.

And now he's at 61,399 posts. Another 11,000+ posts in under nine months. Once again I had planned to have an icon ready for 60,000, but I haven't even started working on it yet (name and image are already picked out), and I was hardly even thinking about it because I didn't think anyone would get to 60,000 this fast.

Honestly, I'm not all that psyched to finish it now. Not to reward spam. Sorry, Mr. Not -- there's no rule against spamming here, but I'm not inspired to reward it, either. Maybe I sound like a dick for saying all this, and this will probably start some drama, but I'm just being honest. Post level icons and 2112 badges lose some of their meaning for me when people use 95% spam to reach them.

Note: I'm not officially speaking for the rest of the mod staff here. I just looked at the top poster list and started typing.

• Like 16

Am I the only one who thinks that spam shouldn't exist on here? Or perhaps find a way to eliminate posts in Grand Designs from the user's post count?

But seriously, folks. It's just a number.

• Like 5

Am I the only one who thinks that spam shouldn't exist on here? Or perhaps find a way to eliminate posts in Grand Designs from the user's post count?

But seriously, folks. It's just a number.

Making posts in GD not add to users post counts would be easy -- one click of the mouse would do it. But that wouldn't be fair to the people who use GD for what it was designed for -- for mindless word game and goofy humor threads. We included the few spam threads to make the spammers happy, while hoping they wouldn't abuse them.

• Like 2

I'm guilty of racking up quite a few posts in the "What Are You Listening To Thread". That can easily count as spam too

I wouldn't think that would qualify. I don't do it everyday and sometimes not even every week but there are some "real" discussions going on in there from time to time as well and I am curious as to what folks tastes are in music so it has some merit and therefor value. Just my opinion...
  • Like 3

You could borrow this one I made a while back, for any Marathon Mouths

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad190/TDear_1984/MarathonMouth_zpsb9269e83.gif

• Like 5

Are you trying to manipulate us? :) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Better watch out. Isn't 73 your TRF prom date?

• Like 1

I'm guilty of racking up quite a few posts in the "What Are You Listening To Thread". That can easily count as spam too

I wouldn't think that would qualify. I don't do it everyday and sometimes not even every week but there are some "real" discussions going on in there from time to time as well and I am curious as to what folks tastes are in music so it has some merit and therefor value. Just my opinion...

Exactly. I use "What Are You Listening To" Thread more than most, but I don't feel guilty, because I don't use it for post count.

I've been introduced to lots of great bands in there, and introduced other people to great bands. But most importantly, I've made many friends through the "What Are You Listening To" Thread.

• Like 7

You could borrow this one I made a while back, for any Marathon Mouths

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad190/TDear_1984/MarathonMouth_zpsb9269e83.gif

Or this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/TRF_Graphics/SPAMicon_zps8aac347b.gif

Yours might be better.

• Like 1

I always figured the spam thread was just for people to hike up their post count. Otherwise, why have it? Or why even have a post count option at all? I don't really see the point in that. It just encourages random posting to be posting. Unless that's the point?
  • Like 1

Maybe posts should only count if they have the word "rush" in them. Like, "I'm going to rush to the TV after dinner to watch tonight's game" or

"I had to rush to the bathroom after I ate that taco."

• Like 1

I always figured the spam thread was just for people to hike up their post count. Otherwise, why have it? Or why even have a post count option at all? I don't really see the point in that. It just encourages random posting to be posting. Unless that's the point?

There's a difference between going into a spam thread and casually popping off a handful of posts a day, with those spam posts supplementing your other posts in other parts of the board, and sitting there for hours and hours piling up 1.500 posts in a week. Or 11,000 posts in nine months.

• Like 5

Exactly. I use "What Are You Listening To" Thread more than most, but I don't feel guilty, because I don't use it for post count.

I've been introduced to lots of great bands in there, and introduced other people to great bands. But most importantly, I've made many friends through the "What Are You Listening To" Thread.

Rock on my friend... :cheers:
  • Like 1