Rush: Heaviest Prog Band of the 70s?

Geddy's Soul Patch

Ritchie Blackmore 1978:

How do you feel about your music being called heavy metal?

“It’s better than punk, which means inferior. It suits us fine. I know I can play a bloody concerto any day, so it doesn’t bother me at all. It would bother someone who was sensitive and knew their limitations.”

• Like 2

Oh I don't doubt that there were people claiming Rush was Heavy Metal in magazines and on cable access, just that among people I knew that seemed to know something of music with loud guitars, none of them considered Rush Heavy Metal, and this went back to the mid-'70s. As well, I'm sure you can find plenty of magazine articles noting Queen's "Heavy Metal roots" and other such nonsense, for example. Just examples of lazy or stupid journalism, to the extent that it can be thought of as journalism I suppose. There's no shortage of that (but hey, who am I to argue with Mary Campbell of the Frederick Maryland News??? PeW as a "Heavy Metal Epic." :facepalm: ). Even so I'm sure it would be easy to find plenty of articles declaring Rush as something other than Metal. Doesn't prove anything except that people have always used the term differently, or loosely.

BTW, what in the world on AFTK is metal? Could ask the same for the rest of their '70s material but that's the most obvious example. Genuinely curious what makes Rush "Metal."

RUSH are metal mate and that's the end of the matter! Now live with it! :haz: :blaze:

• Like 1

Oh I don't doubt that there were people claiming Rush was Heavy Metal in magazines and on cable access, just that among people I knew that seemed to know something of music with loud guitars, none of them considered Rush Heavy Metal, and this went back to the mid-'70s. As well, I'm sure you can find plenty of magazine articles noting Queen's "Heavy Metal roots" and other such nonsense, for example. Just examples of lazy or stupid journalism, to the extent that it can be thought of as journalism I suppose. There's no shortage of that (but hey, who am I to argue with Mary Campbell of the Frederick Maryland News??? PeW as a "Heavy Metal Epic." :facepalm: ). Even so I'm sure it would be easy to find plenty of articles declaring Rush as something other than Metal. Doesn't prove anything except that people have always used the term differently, or loosely.

BTW, what in the world on AFTK is metal? Could ask the same for the rest of their '70s material but that's the most obvious example. Genuinely curious what makes Rush "Metal."

RUSH are metal mate and that's the end of the matter! Now live with it! :haz: :blaze:

Metal for Muthas?

Metal for Muthas?

I had that album around 1980!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7f/Metal_for_Muthas.jpg

Well the thread's devolved into another "Is Rush Metal?" thread after turning into a debate about whether there was a distinction between "Heavy Metal" and "Hard Rock" in the '70s. So if that's the question -- Is/was Rush Metal? -- I'll vote that Rush is "sui generis," which is part of their genius and a big reason why so many either love them or loathe them; why the statement "Band X wants to be like Rush" is either a huge insult or a great compliment depending on who's saying saying/hearing it. They are neither metal nor hard rock nor prog, yet some of all of them. But mostly hard rock. Hard conceptual rock in their glory years. Unless there was a "Kimono Metal" movement I happened to miss. ;)
  • Like 1

Alex Lifeson: You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f***ed up maybe, but I'm Metal how, I mean Metal like I'm Metallica, I shred for you? I make you headbang, I'm here to f***in' rock you? What do you mean Metal, Metal how? How am I Metal?

x1yyz: Just... you know, how you play your guitars, what?

Alex Lifeson: No, no, I don't know, you said it. How do I know? You said I'm Metal. How the f**k am I Metal, what the f**k is so Metal about me? Tell me, tell me what's Metal!

x1yyz: [long pause] Get the f**k out of here, Alex!

Alex Lifeson: [everyone laughs] Ya m***********! I almost had her, I almost had her. Ya stuttering girl ya. Geddy, was she shaking? I wonder about you sometimes, x1yyz. You may fold under questioning.

Why was I hearing that in a cockney accent? :LOL:

Well the thread's devolved into another "Is Rush Metal?" thread after turning into a debate about whether there was a distinction between "Heavy Metal" and "Hard Rock" in the '70s. So if that's the question -- Is/was Rush Metal? -- I'll vote that Rush is "sui generis," which is part of their genius and a big reason why so many either love them or loathe them; why the statement "Band X wants to be like Rush" is either a huge insult or a great compliment depending on who's saying saying/hearing it. They are neither metal nor hard rock nor prog, yet some of all of them. But mostly hard rock. Hard conceptual rock in their glory years. Unless there was a "Kimono Metal" movement I happened to miss. ;)

I think there's a big difference in having "been there" at the beginning and hearing what people were saying, and reading about it later in a magazine or newpaper. Rush was never considered metal by the general public, but they were mentioned now and then in the media that way.

• Like 2

rush aren't metal and never have been.

i fail to see how anyone could interpret rush as being metal in any way there must be something wrong with you.

:)

I think that 2112 was as "metal" as anything that came out in 1976. I get what you are saying because the term "metal" has evolved over time; Sabbath, Priest, Motörhead and Rush were pretty much considered different examples of the same genre back in the day and I guess your take on the different genre descriptions depends a lot on which music mags you read and what radio shows you tuned into.

sad wings of destiny came out in 76 though

Dream Police [Epic, 1979]

What's always saved this band for me was the jokes, but this time they're just not in the grooves, and there's only so much you can do with funny hats on the cover. A good heavy metal band, sure--be thankful for the fast tempos. But probably not a great heavy metal band. And you know what happens to good heavy metal bands long about the fifth album. B-

robert christgau's review of cheap trick's dream police, published in 79

you can't hear a bit of tool on cygnus x-1?

other than that, AFTK is a sissy album and not metal at all, or even heavy. it rules though

here's somethin crazy - several years ago I used to play xbox with some dude. nice guy, anyway he mentions being into metal so I'm like you dig maiden? and he said maiden were "more classic rock but still pretty cool."

I think we can all agree that maiden is metal. I guess people are just f***ing weird about genres

here's somethin crazy - several years ago I used to play xbox with some dude. nice guy, anyway he mentions being into metal so I'm like you dig maiden? and he said maiden were "more classic rock but still pretty cool."

I think we can all agree that maiden is metal. I guess people are just f***ing weird about genres

Classic rock is not even a genre of music it's a radio term for guitar music that's not from the last 5 to 10 years.

other than that, AFTK is a sissy album and not metal at all, or even heavy. it rules though

Damn you saved yourself right at the end with that one... :)
  • Like 3

Classic rock is not even a genre of music it's a radio term for guitar music that's not from the last 5 to 10 years.

yeah, so imagine the look on my face when someone's saying, "oh, maiden's not metal, it's classic rock"

• Like 4

haha, I could see a fan of the first 4 rush albums buying AFTK when it came out and thinking, "what's with these sissy bird noises and wind chimes??"

• Like 1

haha, I could see a fan of the first 4 rush albums buying AFTK when it came out and thinking, "what's with these sissy bird noises and wind chimes??"

The chimes I loved from the get go. The Yes fan in me loved every second of it. Damn what a time that was from 74'ish to 79'ish. The best of the best right on top of their respective games and great live recordings out the @ss... :codger:
  • Like 2

yeah, so imagine the look on my face when someone's saying, "oh, maiden's not metal, it's classic rock"

I was talking to this guy about Mastodon and he said he didn't like them because they were too soft. This was before Blood Mountain came out so he was talking about Remission and Leviathan. Soft albums right? He also said he saw them live and he didn't like their goth makeup. I didn't say anything after that and I've always wondered what f***ing band he was actually talking about. Metalheads are weird.

• Like 2

I think there's a big difference in having "been there" at the beginning and hearing what people were saying, and reading about it later in a magazine or newpaper. Rush was never considered metal by the general public, but they were mentioned now and then in the media that way.

Perfectly put. You have that knack. :cheers:

Re media mentions, from 20,000 ft a football field looks just like a lacrosse field, but up close they don't look at all alike. A lot of people paid to produce print in the media are flying at 20,000 ft over the subjects they are writing about, including Rush, more often than not it would seem. From that altitude I suppose hard rock looks like metal. IOW, if either Katrina and the Waves or Wayne Newton is your thing, then all those long-hairs with their loud guitars are all heavy metal I'd guess.

• Like 1

Dream Police [Epic, 1979]

What's always saved this band for me was the jokes, but this time they're just not in the grooves, and there's only so much you can do with funny hats on the cover. A good heavy metal band, sure--be thankful for the fast tempos. But probably not a great heavy metal band. And you know what happens to good heavy metal bands long about the fifth album. B-

robert christgau's review of cheap trick's dream police, published in 79

Well that's surprising, but he does have roots in jazz, and later punk, so maybe he has that 20,000 ft perspective I mentioned above when it comes to long hair rock. Still, Cheap Trick "Heavy Metal"? I continued to love them after Budokan, but they clearly became of pop act. Great tunes but top 40 radio friendly all the same. Can't imagine a real metal head claiming Cheap Trick as one of their own.

Still, he labeled Rush "Medieval Pomp Rock," so if one was to make a case for Rush being metal, he's maybe not the best advocate ;) .

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

I didn't say anything after that and I've always wondered what f***ing band he was actually talking about. Metalheads are weird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpsyYWK9d8o

• Like 1