2112's synthesizer intro vs Eddie Van Halen's "1984"

fraroc

22 members have voted

1. 1. 2112 intro vs 1984

• 2112 intro

I might be committing horrifying blasphemy against the Rush fanbase but.....when it comes to keyboard intros, I definitley like 1984 more. It's a much more melodic piece unlike 2112's intro which is just a bunch of spaced out sound effects on the Moog. I would have always preferred it if Geddy had played his own synthesizer solo during live preformances before launching into 2112.
  • Like 1

I might be committing horrifying blasphemy against the Rush fanbase but.....when it comes to keyboard intros, I definitley like 1984 more. It's a much more melodic piece unlike 2112's intro which is just a bunch of spaced out sound effects on the Moog. I would have always preferred it if Geddy had played his own synthesizer solo during live preformances before launching into 2112.

I agree but i find it hard to compare them. 1984 is supposed to be a melodic opening to the song, whereas 2112 is supposed to be more of a shock and atmospheric effect.

And to be fair to Geddy, he is self taught on the keyboards whereas Eddie is a trained classical pianist.

• Like 1

Now that were on the Flat Iron Steak Forum, Flat Iron Steak is becoming one of my favorite cuts of steak. The thing that is the coolest thing about it, that it is a cut of beef from the cheapest part of the chuck. It can have the tenderness of tenderloin and twice the flavor when properly cut. I buy the whole "Top Blade" roast and filet them my self where it costs about $4-5/lb which is pretty cheap for beef in Florida these daze. Back on subject 2112 intro is way better that 1984's as Rush is a way better band than VanHalen. Don't get me wrong I enjoy some of the songs VH & VanHagar put out but they aint no Rush.

I learned tonight that flat iron is a decent cut...it's no ribeye but tasty.

Flat iron is great! Perfect for fajitas!

Yeah I can see that now.

Van Halen died with 1984. Eugh...do not like it.

2112 is atmospheric and sets the scene perfectly for what remains my favourite sidelong epic from Rush.

I swear you gotta be on drugs to enjoy that intro to Overture. I never understood how people liked that.

I love the intro, but I do feel like people seem to make it overhyped