The reason they are playing all indoor venues...

Nate1647

FS, that is not correct at all on east coast.

In summer, its daylight til 8.45pm and Rush starts 7.45pm on average. Typically their entire first sets here are in broad daylight and their lights have minimal effect. Like flushing big money for fancy lights down the loo. Might as well be a summer BBQ with uncle Johnny.

Hey, I'm all for the total visceral experience, but seriously, the sound trumps lasers and pyro every time. I'll take Rush onstage with no gimmicks in an outdoor venue any day over Rush indoors with the full visuals.

Indoor arena stank just...sucks. Smoky, sweaty, flat beer, body odors and general germ-ridden confined audience clusterfuckery....pass if possible.

When was the last time you were at a concert? :) I haven't noticed any of that in the last 20 years. Except for the cluster thing. The folding seats they put on the floor are pretty close together.

Haha. I attend at least a couple dozen concerts a year. Many of them are at the Forum or Staples Center in LA, or Cox Arena or Valley View in San Diego. A fair number of them are in West Hollywood club theatres. And many of them are, as I prefer, outdoors. Hollywood Bowl. Santa Barbara Bowl. The Greek. Shoreline. Chula Vista. If you haven't noticed it, maybe you're just used to it. I am too, don't get me wrong. That doesn't mean I don't notice it every time. It's not like it isn't there, LOL. You can't get 20 thousand people together in a confined, usually warm to hot space, and not have concert stank. Unless you're in a VIP box separated from the unwashed masses, I suppose. :)

• Like 1

VS I hear ya about indoor stank,that's the luck of venue IMHO. I have been at outdoor ones where the seating was so tight I'm surprised I was never served paternity papers and indoor ones with great floor seating.

To better describe what 1st row balcony at Radio City was like, since its a smaller venue, we were the equivalent of 25th row floor, but in the first balcony. We were completely submerged in the colorful light show most of the time, while fairly close to the stage and the lights, yet elevated.

I think they have one more big ten show run at radio city left in them, summer 2017. The press, the aura, the big city. No weather or other outdoor complications. Premium sound and visual venue. Rush and their families together in the city. Would be the ultimate. Hollywood Bowl would be great also. I'm getting a ticket, or 5. Then I woke up.

I dunno if it's luck of the venue. I have yet to attend one indoor show where I didn't noticed the mass stank, and I've literally attended hundreds of shows. Maybe I'm more sensitive to it than some, I guess. I think you guys who prefer them are probably just acclimated to the overall sensory input of an indoor show and don't give it much thought while attending. Neither do I, rest assured. Some of the best shows I've ever seen were in arenas. But that doesn't mean the stank wasn't present, it just means it's always there. :)

Too many possible distractions outdoors.

At summerfest in milwaukee, people on the lawn where more interested in July 4 fireworks than listening to Camera Eye.

• Like 1

FS, those are great pics, thanks for posting. Looks like CA songs which were the second set, after dark. It was broad daylight when subdivisions started for us.

VS, sometimes quality indoor venues can have good AC systems that can keep it cool. Those small venue GA shows can be real stinkers for sure!

Too many possible distractions outdoors.

At summerfest in milwaukee, people on the lawn where more interested in July 4 fireworks than listening to Camera Eye.

Festival gigs are NOT the same thing as outdoor shows for one artist.

I friggin' HATE all day festival gigs like Coachella or Lollapalooza or RibFests or Bonnaroo or Monsters of Rock or whatever.

Festival GA concerts are not the same thing at all. Blaggh.

And I've never sat on the lawn at outdoor sheds or amps and never will. If I wanted to listen to Rush live from afar, I'd just put on a CD. :)

FS, those are great pics, thanks for posting. Looks like CA songs which were the second set, after dark. It was broad daylight when subdivisions started for us.

VS, sometimes quality indoor venues can have good AC systems that can keep it cool. Those small venue GA shows can be real stinkers for sure!

There are very few quality indoor venues that can keep 20 thousand people cool, Gabriel. And much of the time artists tell venue management to keep the blowers to a minimum because it affects vocals when it's too cold.

Like I said...you simply cannot avoid concert stank when 20 thousand people are crammed in a confined space. Beer, weed, body odor, sweat, vomit, urine, general hoopla...it's just not possible. Concert attendees, by and large, are kinda...well, gross on the average. We all know what I"m talkin' about. :)

There are very few quality indoor venues that can keep 20 thousand people cool, Gabriel. And much of the time artists tell venue management to keep the blowers to a minimum because it affects vocals when it's too cold.

Like I said...you simply cannot avoid concert stank when 20 thousand people are crammed in a confined space. Beer, weed, body odor, sweat, vomit, urine, general hoopla...it's just not possible. Concert attendees, by and large, are kinda...well, gross on the average. We all know what I"m talkin' about. :)

You have not experienced stank at a concert until you go to a show at Jannus Live (formerly Jannus Landing) in St. Pete, FL during the summer. The place is an asphalt courtyard enclosed by two story buildings with bars, restaurants and apartments. The courtyard is probably 75' wide and 120' deep and they will sell 3K tickets. It is so packed you can't raise your arms, subsequently everybody is constantly spilling their drinks so you end up drenched in booze. Add to that the asphalt which has been cooking all day in the sun and smells like piss, vomit and old beer. You can literally see the stench rising up from the ground. There is no air movement. It's like the combination of a sauna and a gas station bathroom. Every time I go I swear I'll never go back but they keep getting good acts on the odd occasion.

• Like 1

You have not experienced stank at a concert until you go to a show at Jannus Live (formerly Jannus Landing) in St. Pete, FL during the summer. The place is an asphalt courtyard enclosed by two story buildings with bars, restaurants and apartments. The courtyard is probably 75' wide and 120' deep and they will sell 3K tickets. It is so packed you can't raise your arms, subsequently everybody is constantly spilling their drinks so you end up drenched in booze. Add to that the asphalt which has been cooking all day in the sun and smells like piss, vomit and old beer. You can literally see the stench rising up from the ground. There is no air movement. It's like the combination of a sauna and a gas station bathroom. Every time I go I swear I'll never go back but they keep getting good acts on the odd occasion.

Oh I hear ya man. I'm sure a Florida summer indoor venue is no picnic. Haha. Blaggh. I have been to too many similar venues. Most of the small theaters in Hollywood (the Wiltern, the Palladium, LA Theatre, Music Box, El Capitan, etc.) have the same exact ambiance. Spilled booze everywhere, concrete floors, packed to the gills, smoky and sweaty, puke and piss. But at least it's a dry heat, unlike your humidity out there.

Like I said...I'd really like to see Rush's last show on this tour, since it may be their last show, period, or at least, the last show on a tour of this 'magnitude' whatever that means. But I opted for the second to last show simply because it's outdoors rather than indoors.

A summer night Rush show outdoors in SoCal? Few experiences beat it. :)

• Like 1

Hey, I'm all for the total visceral experience, but seriously, the sound trumps lasers and pyro every time. I'll take Rush onstage with no gimmicks in an outdoor venue any day over Rush indoors with the full visuals.

Indoor arena stank just...sucks. Smoky, sweaty, flat beer, body odors and general germ-ridden confined audience clusterfuckery....pass if possible.

When was the last time you were at a concert? :) I haven't noticed any of that in the last 20 years. Except for the cluster thing. The folding seats they put on the floor are pretty close together.

Haha. I attend at least a couple dozen concerts a year. Many of them are at the Forum or Staples Center in LA, or Cox Arena or Valley View in San Diego. A fair number of them are in West Hollywood club theatres. And many of them are, as I prefer, outdoors. Hollywood Bowl. Santa Barbara Bowl. The Greek. Shoreline. Chula Vista. If you haven't noticed it, maybe you're just used to it. I am too, don't get me wrong. That doesn't mean I don't notice it every time. It's not like it isn't there, LOL. You can't get 20 thousand people together in a confined, usually warm to hot space, and not have concert stank. Unless you're in a VIP box separated from the unwashed masses, I suppose. :)

Must be all of the hippies out there in CA. :D

Actually two indoor venues in NYC are much more comfortable than any outdoor summer venue here, MSG and RadioCity. MSG most of the year is on a sheet of ice, and has a very high ceiling, great for sound and keeping it cool. Same at Radio City, big open venue, great air flow, great sound. Another near the city, the pru, also on a sheet of ice, is an awesome new venue. For those with lower level prime seats, you have access to premium bar and food overlooking the stage. I have not yet been to the recently remodeled MSG, but fans say it's even better, a palace, we shall see!

As we have been discussing, what works in one region very much does not in another. For our humidity, wind, rain, chance of rain and Mosquitos that make outdoor concerts less than par in NY, there are far worse discomforts in other areas of the world. Those that tend to happen on the west coast(I hope they never occur again) luckily do not often impact outdoor shows. Oh, and please say hi the that VS dude, he will be missed around here!

Edited by Gabrielgil513

Nah, it's the white trash. Nationwide, I'd presume. :)

I can tell you one reason why I prefer outdoor venues...hotel cost.

I'm paying 3X for a room within walking distance of the Tampa hockey stadium than I did for the amphitheater.

Red Roof Inn and Kerr's wings.....and a walk across the highway to see RUSH at that shed was GREAT!

Saw the last three shows there!

Edited by RushIslander

Actually two indoor venues in NYC are much more comfortable than any outdoor summer venue here, MSG and RadioCity. MSG most of the year is on a sheet of ice, and has a very high ceiling, great for sound and keeping it cool. Same at Radio City, big open venue, great air flow, great sound. Another near the city, the pru, also on a sheet of ice, is an awesome new venue. For those with lower level prime seats, you have access to premium bar and food overlooking the stage. I have not yet been to the recently remodeled MSG, but fans say it's even better, a palace, we shall see!

As we have been discussing, what works in one region very much does not in another. For our humidity, wind, rain, chance of rain and Mosquitos that make outdoor concerts less than par in NY, there are far worse discomforts in other areas of the world. Those that tend to happen on the west coast(I hope they never occur again) luckily do not often impact outdoor shows. Oh, and please say hi the that VS dude, he will be missed around here!

LOL. We do have 'comfortable' indoor venues here, but it's relative.

Bottom line is, if you put 20k people inside a big concrete building, you're going to have concert stank. That's my point. I'm unsure if some east coasters are insisting that the stank simply doesn't exist (impossible), or that certain venues control it better than others (of course).

If you're saying the concert stank ambiance doesn't exist whatsoever at Radio City or MSG...I don't believe you. :)

If you're saying it's more tolerable in those venues...sure, of course I believe you. :)

It's far more likely that you guys just simply don't notice it, or are so acclimated to it that you don't give it a second thought. :)

I honestly haven't noticed it. Now and then all smell somebody smoking some pot, but that's it. I usually notice how clean the air smells.

Edited by EagleMoon

I honestly haven't noticed it. Now and then all smell somebody smoking some pot, but that's it. I usually notice how clean the air smells.

Consider yourself fortunate. I'm pretty sensitive to my surroundings, LOL. That said, concert attendees in southern California on average aren't exactly repressed in their concert etiquette nor odors. :) Particularly with hard rock acts, whose fanbase often leans toward excess.

Bottom line is, if you put 20k people inside a big concrete building, you're going to have concert stank. That's my point. I'm unsure if some east coasters are insisting that the stank simply doesn't exist (impossible), or that certain venues control it better than others (of course).

If you're saying the concert stank ambiance doesn't exist whatsoever at Radio City or MSG...I don't believe you. :)

If you're saying it's more tolerable in those venues...sure, of course I believe you. :)

It's far more likely that you guys just simply don't notice it, or are so acclimated to it that you don't give it a second thought. :)

VS, we definitely have the stank, myself included unfortunately ;)

But around here, on a warm muggy humid nite, the air conditioning is going to be the choice of preference every time.

And if timing is right, hockey playoffs, Disney on ice, etc, and the ice is set...it's actually chilly at the garden or the pru on or near the floor.

We really need to get back onto those overlord threads...

• Like 1

VS, we definitely have the stank, myself included unfortunately ;)

But around here, on a warm muggy humid nite, the air conditioning is going to be the choice of preference every time.

And if timing is right, hockey playoffs, Disney on ice, etc, and the ice is set...it's actually chilly at the garden or the pru on or near the floor.

We really need to get back onto those overlord threads...

Oh, I'd definitely be miserable with that kind of humidity in the air, agreed. :)

I can tell you one reason why I prefer outdoor venues...hotel cost.

I'm paying 3X for a room within walking distance of the Tampa hockey stadium than I did for the amphitheater.

I booked at the Marriott right by Amalie Arena on the day the tour dates were released, and I got the rate of $150. Not too terrible, although who knows if that rate has ballooned up since then

We're spoiled here in the NYC area. And Rush loves MSG and the Pru, so we're always comfy and cool when they come around! Sound great and smell fine, too. Man, I love it here!