The reason they are playing all indoor venues...

Nate1647

So we all know that Neil's kit is going to be overly sensitive to temperature and humidity this tour, which is why we assumed they were playing all indoor shows.

HOWEVER

What if there is another reason?

What if they are opening with...

A completely pitch black arena would be the most amazing setting for this. Especially if they visit their more prog-focused earlier years in the first set. Some kind of spacey intro, the opening Moog sounds from 2112 come in, and they play the intro both standing back at the drumset, until the 1:31 mark when it swings into gear, the lights and stage completely pop and come up, and we're off to the races. The badass meter would be completely off the charts. The ONLY thing I can think of is that there is no way Ged would want to open the show by singing Temples (lol), so maybe just the overture? Thoughts?

• Like 2

Correction- They are playing FEWER outdoor venues than past Summer tours.

4 Outdoor shows.

And the humidity in Atlanta could be brutal

I actually love the idea that they're playing almost all indoors on this tour. I prefer that to outdoor shows, even in the summer.

If they did open with a full 2112...well, holy crap! All the better.

• Like 2

They have played at the same outdoor amphitheater in Atlanta for several tours and I hate it! The worst part is that it's still light when they start so you don't have the excitement of the house-lights turning off and everyone going nuts. Instead, the opening video plays and at one point they just walk on stage and there they are. It makes it a very anticlimactic opening. I was hoping that they would play at an indoor arena this time but no!
  • Like 1

Does the band actually choose the venues? I always assumed that was up to the manager, promoter or whoever it is that books the tour.

They're playing outdoors in Austin after playing indoors the last 3 times through. Not happy about that.

They have played at the same outdoor amphitheater in Atlanta for several tours and I hate it! The worst part is that it's still light when they start so you don't have the excitement of the house-lights turning off and everyone going nuts. Instead, the opening video plays and at one point they just walk on stage and there they are. It makes it a very anticlimactic opening. I was hoping that they would play at an indoor arena this time but no!

Agree 100%. The Arena at Gwinnett Center would be perfect. Just over 13, 000 seating capacity and not a "bad" seat in the house.

We have a beloved ampitheater here in NY right on the ocean,Jones Beach.

I HATE IT! Nothing worse than seeing one the finest light shows in rock COMPLETELY ruined by the summer daylight. All ambiance is gone.

Price we pay for living near the ocean. I know, tiny violins. When

LL Cool Ged visits, he wants to see the great Atlantic also. Its an extra hour one way to see them at MSG and The Pru, but worth every second.

Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 1

I think the reason for mostly large arena shows this time is simply to maximize profit with less shows. The tours since reforming have all been at least approx. 90 dates mostly in amphitheaters and small arenas. That was what was necessary to pay for the tour and pay themselves and the crew what they wanted. The band gets a third, the crew a third and the show costs a third. This tour is only 30 something dates. By playing large arenas the 30+dates should equal the attendance of approx. 50 shows on previous tours. When you factor in the substantial increase in ticket prices this tour, income should be around 2/3 of previous tours. I'm expecting a smaller scale show also which will make up for the other 1/3.

Does the band actually choose the venues? I always assumed that was up to the manager, promoter or whoever it is that books the tour.

They're playing outdoors in Austin after playing indoors the last 3 times through. Not happy about that.

I'm sure they can put a little input into where they want to play, Rush has been around long enough to earn that right to do so. If there are certain venues they really enjoy, i'm sure they can say something. But most bands really don't have that much say on where they go unless you're at the level of The Rolling Stones or something. The bands management will book venues based on the bands previous history in that area/venue. If they always do good business somewhere, then it's more likely they will be back when they tour again. Venue availability is an issue as well. An arena may have something else going on when they want to play there so they are forced to get the outdoor venue instead.

I think the reason for mostly large arena shows this time is simply to maximize profit with less shows. The tours since reforming have all been at least approx. 90 dates mostly in amphitheaters and small arenas. That was what was necessary to pay for the tour and pay themselves and the crew what they wanted. The band gets a third, the crew a third and the show costs a third. This tour is only 30 something dates. By playing large arenas the 30+dates should equal the attendance of approx. 50 shows on previous tours. When you factor in the substantial increase in ticket prices this tour, income should be around 2/3 of previous tours. I'm expecting a smaller scale show also which will make up for the other 1/3.

I believe it's always "onward and upward" for them, and I don't believe anything will be less profitable or smaller scale if they can help it. This will be on the level of MP or TMT.

If anything, they're an arena band at heart. Always have been. This way there's maximization of effects and a return to their glory days.

Good gawd, you fabulous Rush nerds. Indoor venues are NEVER better than outdoor venues! Acoustics ALWAYS are better outdoors, along with the added bonus of not having 20 thousand sweat-mucked morons' vast array of stenches rolling over you for 3 hours. I specifically am going outta my way to hit the Irvine show (an outdoor amp) instead of hitting the very last show on the tour at the Forum. As much as I love the Forum thanks to my intimate and long history with its ambiance, and as much as I'd like to hit the very last Rush date on what may be their last tour, I opted for the second to last date at Irvine BECAUSE it's outdoor instead of indoor.

Special effects are great and all, don't get me wrong. But gimme premium sound and fresh air every time over a sweaty stanky dungeon arena. :)

• Like 2

Agree 100%. The Arena at Gwinnett Center would be perfect. Just over 13, 000 seating capacity and not a "bad" seat in the house.

A friend of mine saw Bob Seger at Gwinnett 2 months back, she said it was better than Phillips.

Good gawd, you fabulous Rush nerds. Indoor venues are NEVER better than outdoor venues! Acoustics ALWAYS are better outdoors, along with the added bonus of not having 20 thousand sweat-mucked morons' vast array of stenches rolling over you for 3 hours. I specifically am going outta my way to hit the Irvine show (an outdoor amp) instead of hitting the very last show on the tour at the Forum. As much as I love the Forum thanks to my intimate and long history with its ambiance, and as much as I'd like to hit the very last Rush date on what may be their last tour, I opted for the second to last date at Irvine BECAUSE it's outdoor instead of indoor.

Special effects are great and all, don't get me wrong. But gimme premium sound and fresh air every time over a sweaty stanky dungeon arena. :)

When Rush had to shelve 1/2 of the Video to play the ampitheatre in Tampa during CA, I was pissed the concert film showed me the entire show

And all of the DVD concert was filmed....................wait for it..................

INDOORS!!

This tour they are playing the ARENA in Tampa. You normally lose stage and rigging square footage outside

Edited by Disembodied Spirit

VS!! The overlords finally added side stage seats in NJ! (No seats were avail from "the venue" for months). Still none added at MSG. They are holding onto those like the holy grail!! $500 for any front of stage seats lower bowl within five sections of stage. Anyway...

Outdoor shows...It's much different than that in NY. Jones Beach is right on the ocean and the bay, and the wind is usually blowin. Unless you are within 25 rows, the sounds gonna be doing a Dylan (blowin in the wind). Hey, there goes Lifeson's solo, into the bay.

I'm guessing in LA you don't have excessive humidity nor Mosquitos. Outdoor shows in NY are far from comfy. We all have natural calamities, just those in LA don't interrupt outdoor shows. Add to that there is zero ambience with no light show, to the point seeing Ged Alex and Neil in broad daylight takes all the magic away. Horrifying actually. I mean they are great to watch, but they might as well be playing at the local repair shop.

CMS, you mention a lot of awesome outdoor shows like Kiss, Van Halen,etc. those sure sound like great shows, but those bands usually have opening acts. If so, they play shorter than Rush and can start after sunset. Makes all the difference in half the world.

What do you consider side stage? Sections 114 & 126 have been offered for a weeks now.

Precisely, it took em two months to open up those sections after the sellout. Only a small portion of the side sections went on sale at MSG . Once they added side seats at pru, no longer sellout, and broker tix prices started dropping a bit.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

Gab, I have been following the secondary market for Pru every day since the presale. The tickets today are the highest they have been since the sale started. In February - March, you could still find seats in the $70-$80 per ticket range. Now even the worst seat available is over $100. Those section 10 seats on TM have been there for a couple of weeks.

Here's the thing that puzzles me - section 110. Not once since the presale has a ticket for section 110 appeared on the secondary market. Again, I check this multiple times - every day. I have to believe that some point, TM will release these seats because it's unimaginable that every person who has a ticket in that section (assuming they are out in the market) is holding on to that seat. It's the only section that hasn't had a single ticket available.

dt, I agree, I think the $70-$80 tickets are the first to sell in the secondary market. So when they are sold, the cheapest avail is more.

I should have mentioned I was referring to the outrageous prices close to the stage. There are a few prime seats within 15 rows now in the $700 range, a slight price drop. Still a very scary amount of cash to drop on a single show.