The reason they are playing all indoor venues...

Nate1647

The most stank I ever personally experienced at a concert was Led Zepplin in 1977 at the Capital Centre in Largo, MD...

Smelled like puke everywhere, and all night!

Oh wait... maybe that was me

• Like 1

So we all know that Neil's kit is going to be overly sensitive to temperature and humidity this tour, which is why we assumed they were playing all indoor shows.

HOWEVER

What if there is another reason?

What if they are opening with...

A completely pitch black arena would be the most amazing setting for this. Especially if they visit their more prog-focused earlier years in the first set. Some kind of spacey intro, the opening Moog sounds from 2112 come in, and they play the intro both standing back at the drumset, until the 1:31 mark when it swings into gear, the lights and stage completely pop and come up, and we're off to the races. The badass meter would be completely off the charts. The ONLY thing I can think of is that there is no way Ged would want to open the show by singing Temples (lol), so maybe just the overture? Thoughts?

This would be very Cool!

2112 Overture "and the meek shall inherit the earth"

Far Cry

Oh that works very nicely!

:haz: :rush: :haz:

Reviving an old one VS. I checked out 2 mins of the Austin show and thought of this topic.

Austin start time was 8.15 local time, about 30 mins later than many outdoor start times, yet no light show effect as it's still daylight.

Austin fans very lucky as they squeezed the show in between days of rain.

And the outdoor amphitheater has no elevation near the stage like hockey arena, so it's a sea of heads (and phones ;)).

They all can't be as good as the HB!

Out of all the shows I've been to, outdoor shows have always sounded better. Also, at venues such as the Marcus Amphitheater in Milwaukee, the stage is at the bottom of the amphitheater so even if you sit in the 30th row of the center section, you still have a clear view of the stage. I saw Rush in an arena in Oklahoma City from the 17th row and saw nothing but backs of heads.

Out of all the shows I've been to, outdoor shows have always sounded better. Also, at venues such as the Marcus Amphitheater in Milwaukee, the stage is at the bottom of the amphitheater so even if you sit in the 30th row of the center section, you still have a clear view of the stage. I saw Rush in an arena in Oklahoma City from the 17th row and saw nothing but backs of heads.

saw them two years ago there on a beautiful july night in about the 25th row, probably right in front of you. I much prefer Marcus to that barn in Chicago, United Center, that eats all their sound

Reviving an old one VS. I checked out 2 mins of the Austin show and thought of this topic.

Austin start time was 8.15 local time, about 30 mins later than many outdoor start times, yet no light show effect as it's still daylight.

Austin fans very lucky as they squeezed the show in between days of rain.

And the outdoor amphitheater has no elevation near the stage like hockey arena, so it's a sea of heads (and phones ;)).

They all can't be as good as the HB!

I'm aware. And I'm not the retirement police. I'm just using the evidence to date to be realistic.

Heck, I hope I'm wrong. I'd like another album. The odds are not favoring it, though.

And I agree that other states don't have the kinda outdoor venues Cali has. Cali has several of the best in the country.

Colorado, however, has the number one venue indoors or outdoors.

Outdoor venues always have better acoustics. There's no reverb echo that arenas, no matter how well sound proofed, are always going to produce at least a little bit with high volume shows.
  • Like 2

Outdoor venues always have better acoustics. There's no reverb echo that arenas, no matter how well sound proofed, are always going to produce at least a little bit with high volume shows.

Definitely better, I wouldn't say always, if there is no wind...in my ear...shifting and drifting...the sound ;)

I thought the sound in Austin was very good on the scope. I didn't like the flat theatre, but that's just one place. Starting at 8.15 helped in a big way also, because the lights started to take effect within 30 mins. I have been to shows within a month of the long days of June 20, that start at 7.40 and the entire first sets in the daylight.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

Definitely better, I wouldn't say always, if there is no wind...in my ear...shifting and drifting...the sound ;)

I thought the sound in Austin was very good on the scope. I didn't like the flat theatre, but that's just one place. Starting at 8.15 helped in a big way also, because the lights started to take effect within 30 mins. I have been to shows within a month of the long days of June 20, that start at 7.40 and the entire first sets in the daylight.

Yes, I recall your aversion to Jones Beach. LOL, we don't have anything like that out here. You should come check it out sometime. Little things can beat a Rush outdoor gig in southern California. Trust me. :)

I can't listen to the Scope. I listened to a few minutes of the first two shows as they occurred, but then quit. It's become a principle thing, dang it. ;)

Ah well, 'tis probably for the best. I don't wanna get all Rush'd out on the main setlist before my show.

I hear you on the scope. In this case, because of the excitement from the scope, I will be spending a lot more cash on Rush than originally planned for R40. Very lucky I bought a new car last year! Rush really deserves a cut of hotels and travel expenses ;)

I hear you on the Hollywood Bowl VS. I'm watching the Duchovny Cali show on netflix now (only up to season two) and there was a scene filmed with music at the HB. I could tell that place has some serious acoustics .

In very grateful for Rush doing this tour. I wish somehow we coulda got a years notice if this was planned to be a final tour. Tough not to sound wine-y (thx autocorrect). I have two summer vacations that were booked before the career finality was disclosed, and would have loved getting to see them once in SoCal, Vegas and/or PHX. I'm juggling and clawing trying to adjust schedule and somehow score valid tix anywhere in the northeast. I hope Neil is in tune to what his talent and sacrifice has meant to so many Rush fans.

I hear you on the scope. In this case, because of the excitement from the scope, I will be spending a lot more cash on Rush than originally planned for R40. Very lucky I bought a new car last year! Rush really deserves a cut of hotels and travel expenses ;)

I hear you on the Hollywood Bowl VS. I'm watching the Duchovny Cali show on netflix now (only up to season two) and there was a scene filmed with music at the HB. I could tell that place has some serious acoustics .

In very grateful for Rush doing this tour. I wish somehow we coulda got a years notice if this was planned to be a final tour. Tough not to sound wine-y (thx autocorrect). I have two summer vacations that were booked before the career finality was disclosed, and would have loved getting to see them once in SoCal, Vegas and/or PHX. I'm juggling and clawing trying to adjust schedule and somehow score valid tix anywhere in the northeast. I hope Neil is in tune to what his talent and sacrifice has meant to so many Rush fans.

Well, I don't think it really matters where you see 'em on this R40 tour as long as you DO see them. It will be...difficult...for a lot of fans, if not outright impossible, to ever see them again after this year. If they do decide to play a few gigs, people who wanna see 'em will have to travel to NY, Toronto, or LA to do it. Plus the ticket costs will be OUTRAGEOUS.

I know a lotta folks are wishing they could see the last show at the Forum in LA, for obvious reasons. Might be the last time they play as a trio live, ever. I chose Irvine over Inglewood because of the outdoor thing, but in retrospect, I'm thinking of selling the Irvine VIP Silver Tix we have and hitting the Forum instead....just to say I was there, LOL. THE LAST TIME RUSH PLAYED. There definitely is some cache in being able to say that for yourself, I admit. But it would quickly lose its exclusivity if Rush DOES decide to play again after that last show. :)

That said, the Forum is totally sold out except for the secondary market of course. My tix at Irvine are pretty much the best in the house outside of the front row pit. I probably shouldn't give 'em up. But....what to do, what to do.

Yeah, I wouldn't part with silver tix! I got silver for NJ(gorgeous new hockey arena)very excited about that, and will be directly across the rink from them 10 rows off the floor at MSG, where rumors are, something special will be played. Great view for the lights. MSG also newly renovated. They say it's awesome. Time for my thrice daily check for valid tickets for DC, Boston or Philly (TM or TM+) seemingly fruitless endeavor.

I don't want to go to both shows. I rarely see bands more than once on a tour. Unless said tour spans over 2-3 years, in which case I've done it for Rush and Van Halen a few times, LOL.

We really do have the best seats at Irvine for acoustics and sightlines. I'd be a fool to sell 'em. But...I might. Just to hit The Last Rush Show.

Doh. I said it. ;)

Yup, I'll even take a state fair outside over an arena if I have to.

Arenas are dungeons. Some of them are pits. Some are holes.

Only a handful in this country are 'nice.' MSG is almost certainly one of them (never been).

I can't even think of a 'nice' arena in California. The newly renovated Forum (managed now by coinkydink, MSG people) has AWESOME acoustics now...whatever they did to tweak the sound in there worked big time.

But it's still in Inglewood. It's still got trails for mezzanine and concessions, and the bathrooms are still underground in the pits of despair.

That said, you won't find a better LA dog than outside the Forum after a show lets out at midnight. I love the Forum. Because of my history with it. But I'll take Hollywood Bowl, Costa Mesa Pacific Amp, or the Greek any day over it...or Staples.

Fresh air really does make concerts better. Too many people in a cramped space suxxxxxxxxxxx........................