The reason they are playing all indoor venues...

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 Nate1647

Nate1647

The Seeker

• Members
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Rush...Rush.

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:05 PM

So we all know that Neil's kit is going to be overly sensitive to temperature and humidity this tour, which is why we assumed they were playing all indoor shows.

HOWEVER

What if there is another reason?

What if they are opening with...

A completely pitch black arena would be the most amazing setting for this. Especially if they visit their more prog-focused earlier years in the first set. Some kind of spacey intro, the opening Moog sounds from 2112 come in, and they play the intro both standing back at the drumset, until the 1:31 mark when it swings into gear, the lights and stage completely pop and come up, and we're off to the races. The badass meter would be completely off the charts. The ONLY thing I can think of is that there is no way Ged would want to open the show by singing Temples (lol), so maybe just the overture? Thoughts?

Sponsored Post

#2 Johnny Gilbert

Johnny Gilbert

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:08 PM

That would be cool!  But they are not playing all indoor venues.  The Atlanta/Alpharetta show is at a "shed".  Think there are a handful of other dates at outdoor amphitheaters.

Edited by Johnny Gilbert, 15 April 2015 - 02:09 PM.

#3 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts
  • Interests:Turned down the role of Billy Hicks in 'St. Elmo's Fire' Worked at WorldCom, Enron and AIG before realizing work is dumb. Once asked Sarah McLachlan out on a date, and was promptly turned down.

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:10 PM

Correction- They are playing FEWER outdoor venues than past Summer tours.
4 Outdoor shows.
And the humidity in Atlanta could be brutal

#4 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 17671 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:18 PM

I actually love the idea that they're playing almost all indoors on this tour. I prefer that to outdoor shows, even in the summer.

If they did open with a full 2112...well, holy crap! All the better.

#5 TheBluePhoenix

TheBluePhoenix

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:37 PM

They have played at the same outdoor amphitheater in Atlanta for several tours and I hate it!  The worst part is that it's still light when they start so you don't have the excitement of the house-lights turning off and everyone going nuts.  Instead, the opening video plays and at one point they just walk on stage and there they are.  It makes it a very anticlimactic opening.  I was hoping that they would play at an indoor arena this time but no!

#6 CaressMySteel

CaressMySteel

The Seeker

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:46 PM

I'm going to see them in Austin.  It's at an amphitheater.  

http://austin360amph...e/amphitheater/

#7 mrfriendly

mrfriendly

The Seeker

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:46 PM

Yeah I know what you mean, I'll probably end up hitting the bristow show and that's one of the few amphitheater shows, would have preferred an arena. Theres nothing like the craziness of a crowd that occurs once the whole arena just turns dark.

#8 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:51 PM

Does the band actually choose the venues?  I always assumed that was up to the manager, promoter or whoever it is that books the tour.

They're playing outdoors in Austin after playing indoors the last 3 times through.  Not happy about that.

#9 30kwpa

30kwpa

The Seeker

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Pink Floyd and RUSH memorabilia, fireworks, North Carolina Tar Heels - ACC - college basketball, weird places - useless facts/trivia, recycling beer at the beach, collecting 70's junk and other weird stuff, frying things, building stuff - houses, porches, decks, structural repairs, etc., smelling things, dreams and dreaming, paranormal stuff, space shuttle missions

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:05 PM

View PostTheBluePhoenix, on 15 April 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

They have played at the same outdoor amphitheater in Atlanta for several tours and I hate it!  The worst part is that it's still light when they start so you don't have the excitement of the house-lights turning off and everyone going nuts.  Instead, the opening video plays and at one point they just walk on stage and there they are.  It makes it a very anticlimactic opening.  I was hoping that they would play at an indoor arena this time but no!
Agree 100%. The Arena at Gwinnett Center would be perfect. Just over 13, 000 seating capacity and not a "bad" seat in the house.

#10 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6461 posts
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:18 PM

We have a beloved ampitheater here in NY right on the ocean,Jones Beach.

I HATE IT! Nothing worse than seeing one the finest light shows in rock COMPLETELY ruined by the summer daylight. All ambiance is gone.

Price we pay for living near the ocean. I know, tiny violins. When
LL Cool Ged visits, he wants to see the great Atlantic also. Its an extra hour one way to see them at MSG and The Pru, but worth every second.

Edited by Gabrielgil513, 15 April 2015 - 03:20 PM.

#11 Faithless Mover

Faithless Mover

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:25 PM

I think the reason for mostly large arena shows this time is simply to maximize profit with less shows. The tours since reforming have all been at least approx. 90 dates mostly in amphitheaters and small arenas. That was what was necessary to pay for the tour and pay themselves and the crew what they wanted. The band gets a third, the crew a third and the show costs a third. This tour is only 30 something dates. By playing large arenas the 30+dates should equal the attendance of approx. 50 shows on previous tours. When you factor in the substantial increase in ticket prices this tour, income should be around 2/3 of previous tours. I'm expecting a smaller scale show also which will make up for the other 1/3.

#12 CaressMySteel

CaressMySteel

The Seeker

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:30 PM

I don't mind outdoor venues at all.  I've seen bands like Kiss, Metallica, Ted Nugent, Anthrax, Kid Rock, Guns N Roses, The Scorpions, Van Halen, etc. at outdoor venues.  They were all great concerts.

#13 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9825 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:55 PM

View PostTexMike, on 15 April 2015 - 02:51 PM, said:

Does the band actually choose the venues?  I always assumed that was up to the manager, promoter or whoever it is that books the tour.

They're playing outdoors in Austin after playing indoors the last 3 times through.  Not happy about that.

I'm sure they can put a little input into where they want to play, Rush has been around long enough to earn that right to do so. If there are certain venues they really enjoy, i'm sure they can say something. But most bands really don't have that much say on where they go unless you're at the level of The Rolling Stones or something. The bands management will book venues based on the bands previous history in that area/venue. If they always do good business somewhere, then it's more likely they will be back when they tour again. Venue availability is an issue as well. An arena may have something else going on when they want to play there so they are forced to get the outdoor venue instead.

#14 upstateNYfan

upstateNYfan

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:56 PM

View PostFaithless Mover, on 15 April 2015 - 03:25 PM, said:

I think the reason for mostly large arena shows this time is simply to maximize profit with less shows. The tours since reforming have all been at least approx. 90 dates mostly in amphitheaters and small arenas. That was what was necessary to pay for the tour and pay themselves and the crew what they wanted. The band gets a third, the crew a third and the show costs a third. This tour is only 30 something dates. By playing large arenas the 30+dates should equal the attendance of approx. 50 shows on previous tours. When you factor in the substantial increase in ticket prices this tour, income should be around 2/3 of previous tours. I'm expecting a smaller scale show also which will make up for the other 1/3.

I believe it's always "onward and upward" for them, and I don't believe anything will be less profitable or smaller scale if they can help it. This will be on the level of MP or TMT.

If anything, they're an arena band at heart. Always have been. This way there's maximization of effects and a return to their glory days.

#15 JDC

JDC

The Seeker

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:46 PM

Ok I'll bite - how do we know drum shells made from1500 year old oak are more sensitive to temperature and humidity than maple?

#16 bobo32

bobo32

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:57 PM

Weird I had the same exact thought of the concert opening with overture and closing with an r40 medley/grand finale

#17 GeminiRising79

GeminiRising79

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2707 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:02 PM

View PostDisembodied Spirit, on 15 April 2015 - 02:10 PM, said:

Correction- They are playing FEWER outdoor venues than past Summer tours.
4 Outdoor shows.
And the humidity in Atlanta could be brutal

Might make that POS dw kit sound respectable.

#18 Bard

Bard

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1164 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:13 PM

Good gawd, you fabulous Rush nerds. Indoor venues are NEVER better than outdoor venues! Acoustics ALWAYS are better outdoors, along with the added bonus of not having 20 thousand sweat-mucked morons' vast array of stenches rolling over you for 3 hours. I specifically am going outta my way to hit the Irvine show (an outdoor amp) instead of hitting the very last show on the tour at the Forum. As much as I love the Forum thanks to my intimate and long history with its ambiance, and as much as I'd like to hit the very last Rush date on what may be their last tour, I opted for the second to last date at Irvine BECAUSE it's outdoor instead of indoor.

Special effects are great and all, don't get me wrong. But gimme premium sound and fresh air every time over a sweaty stanky dungeon arena. :)

#19 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts
  • Interests:Turned down the role of Billy Hicks in 'St. Elmo's Fire' Worked at WorldCom, Enron and AIG before realizing work is dumb. Once asked Sarah McLachlan out on a date, and was promptly turned down.

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:54 PM

View Post30kwpa, on 15 April 2015 - 03:05 PM, said:

View PostTheBluePhoenix, on 15 April 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

Agree 100%. The Arena at Gwinnett Center would be perfect. Just over 13, 000 seating capacity and not a "bad" seat in the house.
A friend of mine saw Bob Seger at Gwinnett 2 months back, she said it was better than Phillips.

#20 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:59 PM

View PostVan Squalen, on 15 April 2015 - 09:13 PM, said:

Good gawd, you fabulous Rush nerds. Indoor venues are NEVER better than outdoor venues! Acoustics ALWAYS are better outdoors, along with the added bonus of not having 20 thousand sweat-mucked morons' vast array of stenches rolling over you for 3 hours. I specifically am going outta my way to hit the Irvine show (an outdoor amp) instead of hitting the very last show on the tour at the Forum. As much as I love the Forum thanks to my intimate and long history with its ambiance, and as much as I'd like to hit the very last Rush date on what may be their last tour, I opted for the second to last date at Irvine BECAUSE it's outdoor instead of indoor.

Special effects are great and all, don't get me wrong. But gimme premium sound and fresh air every time over a sweaty stanky dungeon arena. :)
When Rush had to shelve 1/2 of the Video to play the ampitheatre in Tampa during CA, I was pissed the concert film showed me the entire show

And all of the DVD concert was filmed....................wait for it..................

INDOORS!!

This tour they are playing the ARENA in Tampa. You normally lose stage and rigging square footage outside

Edited by Disembodied Spirit, 15 April 2015 - 09:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users