Coffee lovers- what do you like? And where do you buy it?

Blue J

I just had a cup of instant Folgers. :dweez: :P

Folders tastes like leaves and twigs to me. Prefer MH.

Folgers tastes stale. So does Maxwell House. So does Martinson's. So does Eight O'Clock. So does every single coffee you can buy that's pre-ground, because it IS all stale, despite the vacuum packaging. And yes, I realize how totally coffee-snobby that sounds. :)

I agree,

I used to buy the whole beans from Coscto and grind my own. But it has gotten so expensive that I buy what ever is cheaper. Not picky about coffee at all.

When Costco has coffee at a $4 discount, we stock up.

When I retire, good coffee may be a luxury that I phase out. Won't need the caffeine!

That's funny. My dad used to drink Yuban when he worked but in his old age now drinks Peets at home thru a french press. He cant text on a cell phone but at least he understands good coffee.

My dad's tastebuds are dead. He drinks this horrid crap.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41WLUoDTDcL.jpg

He gets it from Aldi. :blink:

• Like 1

Folgers tastes stale. So does Maxwell House. So does Martinson's. So does Eight O'Clock. So does every single coffee you can buy that's pre-ground, because it IS all stale, despite the vacuum packaging. And yes, I realize how totally coffee-snobby that sounds. :)

They also use inferior robusta beans. A much cheaper alternative to the now more popular Arabica beans.

Robusta beans taste like shit. I won't drink anything that isn't 100% Arabica.

They also use inferior robusta beans. A much cheaper alternative to the now more popular Arabica beans.

Any time you see something like this, where they are bragging about being "100% pure coffee".

Beaumont Coffee 100% Pure Coffee, Classic Roast

I guarantee you that that coffee is loaded with robusta beans.

We use a French press to make our coffee, and my wife started putting a dash of cocoa powder in the press with the ground beans. I really like it - it gives a slight chocolate flavor, but isn't sweet. I did notice if it's left in too long, there is a slightly bitter flavor. Overall, I like it.
  • Like 1

I'm drinking an espresso roast that I get at Whole Foods. I don't drink it as espresso though; I drink it as cold brewed coffee, with rice milk (I don't drink milk) and simple syrup. It tastes a bit chocolatey that way, and quite yummy.
  • Like 1

I agree,

I used to buy the whole beans from Coscto and grind my own. But it has gotten so expensive that I buy what ever is cheaper. Not picky about coffee at all.

When I retire, good coffee may be a luxury that I phase out. Won't need the caffeine!

That's funny. My dad used to drink Yuban when he worked but in his old age now drinks Peets at home thru a french press. He cant text on a cell phone but at least he understands good coffee.

Oh black water keep on rollin...

• Like 2

I agree,

Oh black water keep on rollin...

10/10 Doobie Brothers would listen

Had been ummm-ing and ahh-ing for quite some time now but finaly this very week i took the plunge and bought a 3 Cup Moka Jug.. gonna give it a trial run in the morning, though i erred on the side of caution and bought a bag of cheap-o shops-own-brand ground to start off with.

Hey peeps.. just got into the "brewin' - y'r - own" malarky.. Now, i only do a brew on weekends and it's been a case of so far - so good, 'til this w/e that is.. when the bag of grounds i'm using ( originally opened three weeks ago but stored in the fridge ) didn't fill the house with that fresh aroma we all love / crave. Could this be that the grounds have oxidized or that i didn't clean my Moca Pot properly or a combo of the two ?
  • Like 1

I work full time for one of the UK's biggest coffee chains. I love this chain and the coffee.
  • Like 1

Hey peeps.. just got into the "brewin' - y'r - own" malarky.. Now, i only do a brew on weekends and it's been a case of so far - so good, 'til this w/e that is.. when the bag of grounds i'm using ( originally opened three weeks ago but stored in the fridge ) didn't fill the house with that fresh aroma we all love / crave. Could this be that the grounds have oxidized or that i didn't clean my Moca Pot properly or a combo of the two ?

http://www.scaa.org/...coffee-staling/

^^^ Here's a pretty good read on the science of shelf life and coffee going stale. It focuses mainly on bitterness of taste as the outcome, and cites temperature, bitterness and oxygen as the enemies of coffee freshness. But they do say this regarding aroma...

Many studies on staling include a sensory evaluation of coffee aroma, as opposed to taste. Aroma testers in Steinhart and Holscher’s (1991) study noted that coffee one-week off-roast were “distinctly less odor-intensive” and showed “less aroma freshness.” The researchers determined that this was due to quickly dissipating “low boiling” components such as sulfur compounds, Strecker-aldehydes, and alpha-dicarbonyls. Sanz and others (2001) found that eight identified volatile compounds were positively correlated with the sensory rating of aroma freshness and that the greatest rate of freshness loss occurred in the first month of coffee storage.

Another note. You mention grounds. It may seem pretentious, but keeping your coffee in bean form rather than storing it pre-ground makes a big difference.

http://www.coffeeconfidential.org/grinding/ground-coffee/

Edited by goose

http://www.scaa.org/...coffee-staling/

^^^ Here's a pretty good read on the science of shelf life and coffee going stale. It focuses mainly on bitterness of taste as the outcome, and cites temperature, bitterness and oxygen as the enemies of coffee freshness. But they do say this regarding aroma...

Many studies on staling include a sensory evaluation of coffee aroma, as opposed to taste. Aroma testers in Steinhart and Holscher’s (1991) study noted that coffee one-week off-roast were “distinctly less odor-intensive” and showed “less aroma freshness.” The researchers determined that this was due to quickly dissipating “low boiling” components such as sulfur compounds, Strecker-aldehydes, and alpha-dicarbonyls. Sanz and others (2001) found that eight identified volatile compounds were positively correlated with the sensory rating of aroma freshness and that the greatest rate of freshness loss occurred in the first month of coffee storage.

Another note. You mention grounds. It may seem pretentious, but keeping your coffee in bean form rather than storing it pre-ground makes a big difference.

http://www.coffeecon.../ground-coffee/

Thank you Goose.. nice one !

First try of a new coffee this morning- a single hard bean from Nicaragua called El Barril. It's not as dark a roast as I usually drink, but the body is nice and full. It's very good.
  • Like 1

When I'm home, I drink the local grocery store's (Wegman's) Colombian with flavored creamer. When I'm out, I get Dunkin' Donuts flavored coffee (not crazy about latte or macchiato) with cream, or cream and sugar if the flavor isn't sweetened.

Finishing off a bag of Jose Isidro this morning...Honduras.

My favorite coffees in the world come from Central America. This one is good...but I like the things that are grown at higher elevations even better. I think the soil in a place like Costa Rica is richer as well.

But still, I enjoy it. I'll try most anything from Mexico down to Panama. And South America, too. But there's just something about Central America...

:huh: :)

• Like 2