Jump to content


Coffee lovers- what do you like? And where do you buy it?


  • Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#141 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 76088 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:54 AM

View PostFred Star, on 29 August 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

Hey peeps.. just got into the "brewin' - y'r - own" malarky.. Now, i only do a brew on weekends and it's been a case of so far - so good, 'til this w/e that is.. when the bag of grounds i'm using  ( originally opened three weeks ago but stored in the fridge )  didn't fill the house with that fresh aroma we all love / crave. Could this be that the grounds have oxidized or that i didn't clean my Moca Pot properly or a combo of the two ?
http://www.scaa.org/...coffee-staling/

^^^ Here's a pretty good read on the science of shelf life and coffee going stale.  It focuses mainly on bitterness of taste as the outcome, and cites temperature, bitterness and oxygen as the enemies of coffee freshness.  But they do say this regarding aroma...

Many studies on staling include a sensory evaluation of coffee aroma, as opposed to taste. Aroma testers in Steinhart and Holscher’s (1991) study noted that coffee one-week off-roast were “distinctly less odor-intensive” and showed “less aroma freshness.” The researchers determined that this was due to quickly dissipating “low boiling” components such as sulfur compounds, Strecker-aldehydes, and alpha-dicarbonyls. Sanz and others (2001) found that eight identified volatile compounds were positively correlated with the sensory rating of aroma freshness and that the greatest rate of freshness loss occurred in the first month of coffee storage.

Another note.  You mention grounds.  It may seem pretentious, but keeping your coffee in bean form rather than storing it pre-ground makes a big difference.
http://www.coffeecon.../ground-coffee/

Edited by goose, 30 August 2016 - 10:58 AM.


Sponsored Post

#142 Fred Star

Fred Star

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 6330 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:U.K, (South Wales).
  • Interests:Varied.. (all above board and legal-like)

Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:31 PM

View Postgoose, on 30 August 2016 - 10:54 AM, said:

View PostFred Star, on 29 August 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

Hey peeps.. just got into the "brewin' - y'r - own" malarky.. Now, i only do a brew on weekends and it's been a case of so far - so good, 'til this w/e that is.. when the bag of grounds i'm using  ( originally opened three weeks ago but stored in the fridge )  didn't fill the house with that fresh aroma we all love / crave. Could this be that the grounds have oxidized or that i didn't clean my Moca Pot properly or a combo of the two ?
http://www.scaa.org/...coffee-staling/

^^^ Here's a pretty good read on the science of shelf life and coffee going stale.  It focuses mainly on bitterness of taste as the outcome, and cites temperature, bitterness and oxygen as the enemies of coffee freshness.  But they do say this regarding aroma...

Many studies on staling include a sensory evaluation of coffee aroma, as opposed to taste. Aroma testers in Steinhart and Holscher’s (1991) study noted that coffee one-week off-roast were “distinctly less odor-intensive” and showed “less aroma freshness.” The researchers determined that this was due to quickly dissipating “low boiling” components such as sulfur compounds, Strecker-aldehydes, and alpha-dicarbonyls. Sanz and others (2001) found that eight identified volatile compounds were positively correlated with the sensory rating of aroma freshness and that the greatest rate of freshness loss occurred in the first month of coffee storage.

Another note.  You mention grounds.  It may seem pretentious, but keeping your coffee in bean form rather than storing it pre-ground makes a big difference.
http://www.coffeecon.../ground-coffee/

Thank you Goose.. nice one !

#143 ILSnwdog

ILSnwdog

    King Of Car Porn

  • Members *
  • 50875 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago Suburbs
  • Interests:My kids. My Corvette. Music. Cars. Sports. Snowmobiling. Just about anything outdoors.

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:04 PM

View PostJack Aubrey, on 30 August 2016 - 08:50 AM, said:

I may have to get this shirt.

Posted Image

#144 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

    73

  • Admin
  • 35403 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:08 PM

My new favorite coffee comes from here: Tend Coffee

Local roasters of organic and fair trade beans. This is really good, freshly roasted coffee. I get the Rhino Chaser, which as the name would suggest is their strongest roast.

#145 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20696 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:46 AM

First try of a new coffee this morning- a single hard bean from Nicaragua called El Barril. It's not as dark a roast as I usually drink, but the body is nice and full. It's very good.

#146 ILSnwdog

ILSnwdog

    King Of Car Porn

  • Members *
  • 50875 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago Suburbs
  • Interests:My kids. My Corvette. Music. Cars. Sports. Snowmobiling. Just about anything outdoors.

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:29 PM

We have a coffee bar here in the office.  They serve this stuff, and it's pretty damn good.

http://www.metropoliscoffee.com/

I get a double shot of espresso and top it off with French roast.

#147 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20696 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:54 AM

View PostILSnwdog, on 04 October 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:

We have a coffee bar here in the office.  They serve this stuff, and it's pretty damn good.

http://www.metropoliscoffee.com/

I get a double shot of espresso and top it off with French roast.

Another Chicago original that I'll have to try. ;)

#148 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20696 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:55 AM

I'm enjoying an Ethiopian Sidamo this morning. I haven't had this in a long time. It's even better than I remember it being. :)

#149 1 of the 7

1 of the 7

    Geddy, Geddy, Gumdrops!

  • Members
  • 11919 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Syracuse, NY, USA

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:37 PM

When I'm home, I drink the local grocery store's (Wegman's) Colombian with flavored creamer. When I'm out, I get Dunkin' Donuts flavored coffee (not crazy about latte or macchiato) with cream, or cream and sugar if the flavor isn't sweetened.

#150 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20696 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:55 AM

Finishing off a bag of Jose Isidro this morning...Honduras.

My favorite coffees in the world come from Central America. This one is good...but I like the things that are grown at higher elevations even better. I think the soil in a place like Costa Rica is richer as well.

But still, I enjoy it. I'll try most anything from Mexico down to Panama. And South America, too. But there's just something about Central America...

:huh: :)

#151 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20696 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:55 AM

View Post1 of the 7, on 27 October 2016 - 12:37 PM, said:

When I'm home, I drink the local grocery store's (Wegman's) Colombian with flavored creamer.

I've had cake from Wegman's bakery. But not the coffee.

#152 Wayne

Wayne

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 201 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:35 AM

Their economy might be going down the pan, but my do they produce nice coffee.

Venezuelan Viennese Roast

Dark bodied, medium roasted with hints of richness. Absolutely delicious.

#153 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20696 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:25 AM

View PostWayne, on 30 November 2016 - 06:35 AM, said:

Their economy might be going down the pan, but my do they produce nice coffee.

Venezuelan Viennese Roast

Dark bodied, medium roasted with hints of richness. Absolutely delicious.

Viennese and full city roasts are the best!

:cheers: :coffee:

#154 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20696 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:09 AM

First taste this morning, of something I just picked up this week. The beans were just roasted on Monday, as a matter of fact.

Bella Vista, Bourbon.


No, it's not bourbon, it's coffee...from Brazil.

#155 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

    Spaceman Spiff

  • Members *
  • 102631 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:running and hiding

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:27 AM

Cold Brew High Brew's Black & Bold has been my go-to for a while now

#156 Carvan Alex

Carvan Alex

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 209 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:La Habra, CA
  • Interests:Music, LA Sports (Dodgers/Kings/Rams), Comics, Movies, Theme Parks, England.

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:23 PM

I have a Keurig so I've been sampling some flavors that I like.  First, I love the Vanilla Crème Puff Donut Shop (and donut shop in general).  I will be trying Cinnebon and regular Dunkin Donuts.

#157 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20696 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:15 AM

El Llano Organic, from the Guanacaste region of Costa Rica. Love it!

:coffee:

#158 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20696 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:57 AM

Ardi Sidamo, from Ethiopia.

:coffee:

#159 pjbear05

pjbear05

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3768 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:56 AM

Sumtran whole bean, in bulk at Lucky's Market.
Half and half and one sugar,

#160 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 76088 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:01 PM

It's a dreary, rainy day in the valley, and I just made myself an espresso.  I don't use this thing enough...

Posted Image




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users