Coffee lovers- what do you like? And where do you buy it?

Blue J

I remember from the time I was a young kid, I loved the way that coffee smelled, when my mother made it. And the first time she let me taste it, I was about eleven or twelve years old- and I hated it! :LOL:

But I started drinking it regularly during my first term in college...to this day, I never start a day without it. Back in the mid 1990s, I used to get it by mail order from Starbucks (as this was long before Starbucks had a store on every streetcorner in America)...

I am fortunate to live in a place that its own local roastery, Boston Stoker (www.bostonstoker.com). It's wonderful stuff. The only drawback for me is that they only really have two choices as far as dark roast is concerned (that's what I always drink- dark roast, straight black).

I also have ordered from Vienna Coffee Company in Maryville, Tennessee, for about three years now. Highly recommended. Great coffee, and great variety. www.viennacoffeeco.com

I generally favor the single hard bean varieties originating in Mexico and Central America- Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Honduras in particular. I think they grow the best coffee beans in the world!

What do you all like the most? And where do you get it?

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

I have never really been a coffee drinker. I would drink a mocha latte once in a while in college because it hid the coffee taste. When I started my summer job at AT&T Bell Labs, everyone drank coffee and I started having a cup or two every day. When I would go home for the weekend, I wouldn't drink coffee and got the worst headaches.

I stayed away from coffee from then until about a year ago. My wife and I went to Hawaii and had kona coffee every morning. Man, that was some great coffee.

We now have 1 cup a day. No more than that - I never feel like I need coffee to get going in the morning, and never get a headache if I don't have it.

We buy coffee from 1 of 2 places, either at the grocery story or directly from a local roaster. We stick to 2 brands:

Cafe Fair - organically, fair traded coffee.

Door County Coffee - fair traded coffee, locally roasted.

I too really like Central American beans. We usually get Guatemalan, but Cafe Fair has a coffee from Peru that is really good too. Has a nice chocolate flavor to it.

Edited by Lost In Xanadu
  • Like 1

No coffee ever. Only :d13: ... Love the aroma however Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 1

Black with a little sugar. If I get it myself no sugar because I'm incredibly lazy.

Dunkin Donuts, baby!! :haz:

Who said Donuts! :drool:

I can send you a sh** load from work if you like? :LOL: :P

I am not picky about coffee. The cheap stuff works for me. I only drink one or two cups a day. Plus, I can get it for free at work. :D

I never waste my money at places like Starbucks. :boo hiss:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 2

No coffee ever. Only :d13: ... Love the aroma however

I'm the opposite. :d13: makes my teeth tingle.

Is that a bad thing? :)

• Like 1

She said her teeth... ;)
  • Like 3

I am not picky about coffee. The cheap stuff works for me. I only drink one or two cups a day. Plus, I can get it for free at work. :D

Yeah, I haven't given Starbucks any money since the 1990s...once they became the huge conglomerate that they are, it just turned me off.

But that's why I like to patronize locally owned, small-batch roasteries. They know what they're doing. ;) And they do it very, very well.

I cut my consumption down by a lot. When I was about 21-22 years old, I drank about 15 cups a day. Started having heart problems (go figure!). I cut it down to about four cups a day, and that's where I've stayed ever since.

• Like 2

She said her teeth... ;)

:LOL:

I know!

• Like 1

Yeah, I haven't given Starbucks any money since the 1990s...once they became the huge conglomerate that they are, it just turned me off.

But that's why I like to patronize locally owned, small-batch roasteries. They know what they're doing. ;) And they do it very, very well.

I cut my consumption down by a lot. When I was about 21-22 years old, I drank about 15 cups a day. Started having heart problems (go figure!). I cut it down to about four cups a day, and that's where I've stayed ever since.

I only drink enough in the morning to wake up,

Rarely after that. It upsets my stomach.

15 - holy crap!!

My cousin's ex-hubby was a big weightlifter, and took caffeine pills, drank diet pepsi... all to get "more" out of his workouts. (competitive lifter) He was having issues one day, went to the doc and he was told to stop drinking the diet pepsi because the 15+ cans a day was eating away his esophagus. He switched to coffee.... but never was a fan of the taste.

I only drink enough in the morning to wake up,

Rarely after that. It upsets my stomach.

I know what you mean- I can get like that too, if I have too much (plus, it gives me the jitters!). But four cups is just about right for me. I drink two cups at home before I go to work, and the rest of my daily allotment goes with me, in a travel mug.

• Like 1

15 - holy crap!!

My cousin's ex-hubby was a big weightlifter, and took caffeine pills, drank diet pepsi... all to get "more" out of his workouts. (competitive lifter) He was having issues one day, went to the doc and he was told to stop drinking the diet pepsi because the 15+ cans a day was eating away his esophagus. He switched to coffee.... but never was a fan of the taste.

Yeah, I have an addictive personality, to be sure. In any area of my life that I have achieved moderation (or abstinence, in the case of alcohol), it has taken both time and rigid discipline.

I have four cups of coffee and normally two cans of Caffeine Free (but not Diet) Coke per day.

• Like 1

I work at one of Denmark's largest suppliers of coffee so that's where I get my coffee from. I prefer double roasted espresso beans made in a French press. Gives it a more 'earthly' taste. I'm not at all into which countries produce the best beans for my taste yet. Every friday I get a pack and I don't drink it fast enough, so I have already packed around 17 pounds in a box :LOL:

Everyday I get to work in the delicious odor of freshly roasted coffee :drool: :coffee:

• Like 2

I work at one of Denmark's largest suppliers of coffee so that's where I get my coffee from. I prefer double roasted espresso beans made in a French press. Gives it a more 'earthly' taste. I'm not at all into which countries produce the best beans for my taste yet. Every friday I get a pack and I don't drink it fast enough, so I have already packed around 17 pounds in a box :LOL:

Everyday I get to work in the delicious odor of freshly roasted coffee :drool: :coffee:

Coffee through a French press is wonderful!

There's a coffee shop where I live that is just called Press. It's the only way they serve it. :)

• Like 1

She said her teeth... ;)

:LMAO: (sorry)
  • Like 1

Love coffee. I was drinking Sanka with my grandfather every morning when I was four years old. My mother got in a tizzy about it, but the doctor told her not to worry.

In high school, I became a tea drinker. When I started working, I switched to coffee with milk. When I went into my first rehab in 1981, I became an avid black coffee drinker and have remained one to this day.

My favorite coffee ever I used to buy from a NYC street vendor. I worked on Hanover Square andm on my way there from the WTC, I used to stop and buy it. He sold his coffee by the pound as well.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy what would be my favorite coffee out here. It is almost ten dollars a pound. Sometimes it goes on sale around the holiday for six or seven dollars. I get it then. The stronger the bean, the better I like it.

• Like 4

Love coffee. I was drinking Sanka with my grandfather every morning when I was four years old. My mother got in a tizzy about it, but the doctor told her not to worry.

In high school, I became a tea drinker. When I started working, I switched to coffee with milk. When I went into my first rehab in 1981, I became an avid black coffee drinker and have remained one to this day.

My favorite coffee ever I used to buy from a NYC street vendor. I worked on Hanover Square andm on my way there from the WTC, I used to stop and buy it. He sold his coffee by the pound as well.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy what would be my favorite coffee out here. It is almost ten dollars a pound. Sometimes it goes on sale around the holiday for six or seven dollars. I get it then. The stronger the bean, the better I like it.

Another dark roast lover. :cheers:

What is the coffee that you referred to as your favorite, where you are now?

• Like 1

Another dark roast lover. :cheers:

What is the coffee that you referred to as your favorite, where you are now?

Folgers :P

Does anyone have a recommendation for a coffee with a kick??

I am on the road often, I drink Dunkin' Starbucks, and alot of local shops in various states, but nothing picks me up.

Wakes me up per say. The caffeine does little to me. I was wondering if someone knows a brand, a technique, a method to get that boost.

At home about half the time working, and make my own. Open to flavors, styles anything. Love coffee, but my 2-3 cups don't do much for me.

And NO I'm not talking booze, looking for any legit methods- Booze is a rarity for me now.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a coffee with a kick??

I am on the road often, I drink Dunkin' Starbucks, and alot of local shops in various states, but nothing picks me up.

Wakes me up per say. The caffeine does little to me. I was wondering if someone knows a brand, a technique, a method to get that boost.

At home about half the time working, and make my own. Open to flavors, styles anything. Love coffee, but my 2-3 cups don't do much for me.

And NO I'm not talking booze, looking for any legit methods- Booze is a rarity for me now.

I wouldn't recommend flavors at all- but have you tried straight espresso?

Also, for when you make it yourself, see if you can find a gold filter instead of using a paper filter. When you brew it that way, by the time you get to the bottom of the cup, it's almost like silt. :):coffee:

• Like 1