Cygnus X-1 Book II

LedRush

I believe in Hemispheres. Hemispheres helped make my love for Rush. And I raised my love of Rush in the Hemispheres fashion.

But there are issues with Cyguns X-1 Book II. I love this song as well, but it is among my least favorite epics. Why?

1. The song is musically less interesting than most other epics. The initial theme is repeated for too long, and there isn't enough variation in the song.

2. The narrative is incomprehensible. It simply doesn't make sense as a narrative.

3. The concept is too simple. Extreme view bad. Other extreme view bad. Moderation good.

The other epics seem to tell better stories, more comprehensibly, and with more musical variation.

I still love and believe in Book II, but that love is tempered in comparison to Rush's better work.

• Like 1

It's got an epic twist :smoke:

I've listened to it many times high and sober, and haven't noticed the twist. Instead I see an attempt to connect the song to Book I, but in a way that makes no sense.

• Like 2

I've listened to it many times high and sober, and haven't noticed the twist. Instead I see an attempt to connect the song to Book I, but in a way that makes no sense.

Yeah the story is for sure a bit goofy and it makes sense that they didn't have it planned out when they wrote Cygnus X-1; the music however, is nothing short of exceptional
  • Like 1

Yeah the story is for sure a bit goofy and it makes sense that they didn't have it planned out when they wrote Cygnus X-1; the music however, is nothing short of exceptional

I find the music more repetitive and less inventive than virtually any other epic. The first 10 minutes or so are basically the same theme.

• Like 1

It's a fantasy story, isn't it? Even if it isn't the highest literary art, I think it's presenting an apt metaphor for each person's individual struggle (psychomachia?). It's hard not to consider it trite, perhaps, because we've all nodded through English classes in which similar analogies were trotted out (at a time when we really didn't give a rat's patoot, because . . . hot women, etc.). You could say A Wizard of Earthsea has kind of an obvious analogy, but it's still taught in schools. There was a high school teacher where I was who taught Hemispheres in his English class. It was a great way of introducing the class to mythological archetypes and brought some clarity to a concept that, again, may seem pretty standard to us now. When I was young, I was fascinated by the idea that the two sides of my brain controlled different aspects of my personality, and that we all struggled to keep our reason and emotion, or id and ego, in check. To me it was a saving grace, because I felt probably just as pissed off at the world as any other kid, and it helped me to understand that those things were normal and everyone else felt the same way.

I wouldn't say the narrative is incomprehensible. I don't think we're meant to take it too literally, either. It has a certain simplicity that you find in folk tales and myths. In the struggle to find meaning, people often do flock to extreme points of view (I think Peart is still writing about this theme, actually) especially when we are younger. Whether you find something meaningful in Ayn Rand or anyone else who peddles a relatively graspable point of view, it takes a while before you put things into perspective. Your struggles with faith or humanism, your struggles with growing into responsibility as opposed to having fun--you have to learn moderation. At this point, everyone is thinking, "well, duh!" - but young people need this reinforcement.

I read something about how Peart was interested in the idea that the black hole was a dimensional thing. The story of an outsider who comes into the story and witnesses this pointless struggle and cries out against it, bringing a new perspective and sealing up the schism I think works well - again, maybe a bit trite, but I still think it's meaningful (especially to listeners at a certain point in their lives). Lest we forget, this music was made by relatively young people for relatively young people, and I think it speaks to them. 2112 - is that an original narrative? A story of a young rebellious artist reacting against a sterile establishment? That's Footloose or any other movie directed at teens, in some ways. It's true that Peart could probably have been a bit more concise in describing the dionysus/apollo thing, but . . . I rather like the parallel structure in those verses. I would hazard a guess that many fans probably find those sections of the song the least interesting, but to me they're quite melodic and also reinforce the sometimes lengthy phases that people go through when they're finding their way . . . yeah, oh yeah.

Lots of procrastinating going on tonight!!

Just my opinions . . . meandering and wuzzy, like usual, but it's been another long day . . .

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 6

It's true that Peart could probably have been a bit more concise in describing the dionysus/apollo thing, but . . . I rather like the parallel structure in those verses. I would hazard a guess that many fans probably find those sections of the song the least interesting, but to me they're quite melodic and also reinforce the sometimes lengthy phases that people go through when they're finding their way

Those sections are the best parts of the song.

The best tales - esp in fantasy and science fiction - are rooted in humanity and sentiments that we can relate to, and that provoke feelings that paint a meaningful picture ...

HEMISPHERES was the culmination of a fantastic era for RUSH, one they had begun constructing for years .. but within this, we had three very diverse and creative people ( ... actually four if you include Terry Brown ) ...... Lyrically, Neil had begun to stylize some of his Ayn Rand concepts, although "Apollo" and "Dionysus" were featured in a Rand essay years earlier ...

Is it possible that, considering the personalities within the band, Peart was inspired by what was happening to RUSH at the time:

We can walk our road together

If our goals are all the same

We can run alone and free

If we pursue a different aim

Let the truth of love be lighted

Let the love of truth shine clear

Sensibility

Armed with sense and liberty

With the heart and mind united in a single

Perfect

Sphere

Again, RUSH was about to undergo a transformation - not unlike our eventual God Of Balance .....

This era is fascinating to me because is embodies everything that I love about the band, and it combines humanity, imagery, and enough ambiguity to make it continually interesting and thought provoking .....

I am not sure how much has been discussed by Peart, or the rest of those involved, but I suspect that Peart might have felt as an outsider for a long time within the band ... This is NOT to say that RUSH did not get along or feel like family, but Peart himself has described his place in the band up until this time as a "dark tunnel" .....

To me, there undoubtedly must be a pretty significant chunk of personal feelings and meaning within these lyrics

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 5

My first Rush album bought in 79,still have it,still love it,but the vinyl is unplayable.Middle section seems to lose me momentarily but it ends brilliantly,especially The Spere.Lyrically I wondered what these guys had been smoking.The drummer wrote the lyrics for heavens sake.
  • Like 1

My favorite of the epics- glorious in every respect. To my ears, it's also the most dynamic of all of them, though I can understand how others might not feel that way, compared to 2112, for example. I think it just has to do with what that particular piece of music (Book II) does for me when I listen to it.

Inconsistencies and whatnot in terms of the storytelling? I try not to be too critical, or to overthink it. It's damn ambitious for a group of guys who were in their mid 20s when they committed it to tape.

• Like 2

What is with all the Hemispheres talk?! Are you guys TRYING to make me have a conniption? Edited by Disk98

What is with all the Hemispheres talk?! Are you guys TRYING to make me have a conniption?

:laughing guy:

Everybody else in the room is seeing the brilliance. Could be you, Doc?

No secret I'm a Hemispheres freak. Love it!

The story is as simple as any other if you over simplify it. The way he compares the battle in our brain with an epic ancient battle led by gods... there's the genius.

It's not what you say, it's how you say it. It would be like saying Confucius was just saying be nice, try hard, don't be a d*ck. He was, but how he said it is what made him memorable and special.

Hemispheres is special and like others have said... then on to PeW and then Moving Pictures... what a run!!

• Like 2

I transcribed some of BTLS for Lorraine, how the band talks about the challenge of recording Hemispheres. Just as the story goes, interesting how TRF Hemispheres chat split into three different pieces...its mostly Ged n Neil...

The Hemispheres side of that album was incredibly complex....it was so ambitious, so demanding, so experimental...it was manic, we worked through the nights, no time off...even the short songs are very complex. We tried to lay the (LVS) bed track down in one take, we spent 11 days on that alone. We could not do it, we had to walk away and take a break.

We had written material a little beyond us...we knew at the time we were overreaching...we agreed in 1978 we are not doing this again, the epics...the heaviness of Hemispheres made us want to run away from that kind of album...

(PeW)...the songs just came together boom boom boom...

I transcribed some of BTLS for Lorraine, how the band talks about the challenge of recording Hemispheres. Just as the story goes, interesting how TRF Hemispheres chat split into three different pieces...its mostly Ged n Neil...

The Hemispheres side of that album was incredibly complex....it was so ambitious, so demanding, so experimental...it was manic, we worked through the nights, no time off...even the short songs are very complex. We tried to lay the (LVS) bed track down in one take, we spent 11 days on that alone. We could not do it, we had to walk away and take a break.

We had written material a little beyond us...we knew at the time we were overreaching...we agreed in 1978 we are not doing this again, the epics...the heaviness of Hemispheres made us want to run away from that kind of album...

(PeW)...the songs just came together boom boom boom...

Bless their hearts for going through that. I wish they could look back at it with more pride instead of the "wow that was hard". Seems like they almost regret it. I'm sure it was difficult but isn't that where our greatest moments always come from? The hardest trial?

• Like 1

I get what people are saying in analyzing the lyrics and the story, but I just find it more simple and trite than any other epic. Fountain is, lyrically, their most interesting and subtle (not that it's really subtle, just in comparison) epic, and the music is quite varied and fits the music. 2112 works well as a story, too, and also has more musical variation. Cygnus doesn't work as well as 2112 or FoL as a story, but it is a much shorter piece and focuses a lot more on one aspect of a journey than the others, again, while still having a very unique sound.

Don't get me wrong, Hemispheres remains my second favorite album, and I love it dearly. But with all the "Hemispheres is perfect" and "Hemispheres sucks"(yeah, right!) talk going on, I thought I'd present a more nuanced criticism.

• Like 1

Kenny, that's exactly how I experience it! I am so grateful for that effort and their drive to perfect the epic. I listened to Hemis this am and focused of what you said as a bass player, and Geds playing is off the charts!

Its ironic that in some respects PeW and MP, both great albums, seem to be what they fought so hard not to do at 2112. PeW amazes me because the short songs are great, yet they still had "some" of that Hemispheres prog juice on JL and NS.

I get what people are saying in analyzing the lyrics and the story, but I just find it more simple and trite than any other epic. Fountain is, lyrically, their most interesting and subtle (not that it's really subtle, just in comparison) epic, and the music is quite varied and fits the music. 2112 works well as a story, too, and also has more musical variation. Cygnus doesn't work as well as 2112 or FoL as a story, but it is a much shorter piece and focuses a lot more on one aspect of a journey than the others, again, while still having a very unique sound.

Don't get me wrong, Hemispheres remains my second favorite album, and I love it dearly. But with all the "Hemispheres is perfect" and "Hemispheres sucks"(yeah, right!) talk going on, I thought I'd present a more nuanced criticism.

Led, its ironic you refer to Hemispheres as simple, considering how the band describes the challenges of that recording (I posted some of their comments a little earlier). As you say, its not for everyone.

BLASPHEMOUS THREAD!!!

:cool:

Some people just have to complain!! Just sit back and enjoy, you wannabe critics :facepalm:

So acknowledging that I love the song yet offering mild criticism is complaining and bad, but your whining complaining is ok? Got it.

BLASPHEMOUS THREAD!!!

:cool:

Some people just have to complain!! Just sit back and enjoy, you wannabe critics :facepalm:

So acknowledging that I love the song yet offering mild criticism is complaining and bad, but your whining complaining is ok? Got it.

Good. I'm glad you got it! ;) ;) ;)

• Like 1