2112 concept album

toymaker

With a bit of tweaking of songs, I think they could have made 2112 into an entire album-length concept. Bear with me here, I'm a procrastinator and I'm dying for something to take me away of what actually pays the bills around there. . . Anyway, here's the track listing:

1. Twilight Zone. I know some people don't care for this song, but it would theoretically act as the prologue to the concept, since it's about unusual tales, and we're about to be treated to one. As the last note of the solo sounds, it blends with the opening synth notes to

2. 2112 Overture

3. Temples of Syrinx.

4. Discovery, after which, instead of going right into presentation, we get

5. Lessons. Before going to the priests, the hero goes home to his parents. They warn him that he's going to get in trouble for not listening.

6. Presentation.

7. Tears. The hero goes to his squeeze for some solace, but doesn't find understanding or sympathy

8. Passage to Bangkok. When all else fails, turn to other forms of comfort. In a dope-induced haze, the hero wanders off and takes a nap, only to experience

9. Oracle: The Dream. This could also be followed by Tears.

10. Soliloquy

11. Grand Finale

12. Something for Nothing. The moral presented at the end. If the hero had stood up for his beliefs, instead of trying to sleep away his sorrow, he might still be alive to contribute to the new society.

Just goofin' around. Could work, though, maybe? No?

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 6

With a bit of tweaking of songs, I think they could have made 2112 into an entire album-length concept. Bear with me here, I'm a procrastinator and I'm dying for something to take me away of what actually pays the bills around there. . . Anyway, here's the track listing:

1. Twilight Zone. I know some people don't care for this song, but it would theoretically act as the prologue to the concept, since it's about unusual tales, and we're about to be treated to one. As the last note of the solo sounds, it blends with the opening synth notes to

2. 2112 Overture

3. Temples of Syrinx.

5. Lessons. Before going to the priests, the hero goes home to his parents. They warn him that he's going to get in trouble for not listening.

6. Presentation.

7. Tears. The hero goes to his squeeze for some solace, but doesn't find understanding or sympathy

8. Passage to Bangkok. When all else fails, turn to other forms of comfort. In a dope-induced haze, the hero wanders off and takes a nap, only to experience

10. Soliloquy

11. Grand Finale

12. Something for Nothing. The moral presented at the end. If the hero had stood up for his beliefs, instead of trying to sleep away his sorrow, he might still be alive to contribute to the new society.

Nicely done but I love the album cover to cover. Would love to hear it that way somehow. I bet I would enjoy the heck out of it... :cheers:
  • Like 2

2. 2112 Overture

3. Temples of Syrinx.

6. Presentation.

10. Soliloquy

11. Grand Finale

Nicely done but I love the album cover to cover. Would love to hear it that way somehow. I bet I would enjoy the heck out of it... :cheers:

I may have to make it for myself. Another way to put off being responsible! For a while, anyway.

• Like 1

I would think Tears would fit either after Presentation or at the end. A Passage to Bangkok could even be at the beginning...what starts off the entire thing.
  • Like 1

I would think Tears would fit either after Presentation or at the end. A Passage to Bangkok could even be at the beginning...what starts off the entire thing.

The whole thing is a weeeeed dreeeeeaammmm . . .

• Like 2

The whole thing is a weeeeed dreeeeeaammmm . . .

Sweet Jamaican pipe dreams. :LOL:

• Like 1

Great topic - very interesting !!!!!

I will go a step further and bring in a song from another album that I think could fit, both atmospherically and in regards to meaning ...

Here's my 2112 ULTIMATE EDITION:

I - 2112 Overture ( with extended synth in the beginning, complete w/ added tubular bells and Alex's volume swells )

II - Temples of Syrinx

III - Discovery ( sans the tuning of the guitar - love the idea, and the "discovery" aspect and water rippling, but no tuning up )

IV - Presentation

V - Oracle: The Dream

VI - Soliloquy

VII - Jacob's Ladder - somehow segue the end of one man's fight with the start of the overall battle

VIII - Grand Finale

Edited by Lucas

Great topic - very interesting !!!!!

I will go a step further and bring in a song from another album that I think could fit, both atmospherically and in regards to meaning ...

Here's my 2112 ULTIMATE EDITION:

I - 2112 Overture ( with extended synth in the beginning, complete w/ added tubular bells and Alex's volume swells )

II - Temples of Syrinx

III - Discovery ( sans the tuning of the guitar - love the idea, and the "discovery" aspect and water rippling, but no tuning up )

IV - Presentation

V - Oracle: The Dream

VI - Soliloquy

VII - Jacob's Ladder - somehow segue the end of one man's fight with the start of the overall battle

VIII - Grand Finale

Well, sure, if you want to go outside of the album. I was thinking about how to make the original album all fit together, though.

2. 2112 Overture

3. Temples of Syrinx.

6. Presentation.

10. Soliloquy

11. Grand Finale

I may have to make it for myself. Another way to put off being responsible! For a while, anyway.

Please do. :cheers: I would love that.

In my continuing effort to find a Unifying Theory of Rush tunes . . . warning: Rush fanboy geeking out ahead . . . this fan forum is one of the few places I can go to express the adolescent nerd that still lurks inside.

I've long thought that a cool idea for a movie would be an animated thing - that sort of "photo-real" style of animation like you see in The Adventures of TinTin. They could weave together the various narratives from the songs, interspersed with animated concert footage.

The main character, bored with life, travels to find Xanadu and becomes imprisoned, forever to be a hero of various stories, full of ennui and apparently doomed never to find the answer. In one story, he is By-Tor, vanquished by the Snow Dog. By-Tor is given a second chance by the gods. He's sent back from hell to get rid of the necromancer, which he does. So he's been reborn as a young hero, but after the celebration has ended, he finds himself bored and wondering what it's all for. So he goes to find Lamneth, discovering there that life is nothing without some kind of dream.

While he's been gone, the Solar Federation has come and subjugated the population, bringing their technology and computers. Time passes, but he grows no older. Every effort to find some meaning or purpose is thwarted, including his effort to bring music and self-expression. Even though he tries to commit suicide, he is brought back once again.

The new order turns out to be not much different from the old one. There is still war (cue Jacob’s Ladder), fear and mistrust (Witch Hunt) and general malaise (A Farewell to Kings). He begins to look towards the stars, becoming intrigued by the black hole. He joins the space program and becomes an astronaut; on a routine mission, he goes rogue and heads toward Cygnus, knowing that the mystery of the unknown is better than his dull existence on earth. In the black hole, he is psychically torn apart and is disembodied. Over the course of centuries, he witnesses the entire history of strife in the world that he left behind. Finally, he breaks free with his soundless scream. He is turned into a god and sent back in human form to live as a more balanced individual.

As a youth, he is moved by human beauty and human potential (Analog Kid). As he gets more experienced (but not older), he tries to spread his message of balance and broader perspectives about the world and life (Natural Science), but he has difficulty getting through to the people of the city, living their fast-paced lives (The Camera Eye). The world is becoming polluted and dystopian, and people’s freedoms are stripped away once again, even driving. In defiance of the law, he borrows a sports car and outraces the authorities. Sitting with his uncle by the fireside, however, he realizes that he has become a Digital Man, constantly under observation in a subdivided and synthetic world. He decides he is done with journeying and will try just to exist, living through paranoia and war, watching television (soaking up the cathode rays) and experiencing the same malaise he once suffered. He realizes he has no mission. The one thing he hasn’t tried or experienced, lasting love, turns out to be too fraught in this chaotic life.

One night in a dream (Secret Agent?) he discovers the way to get to the lake between the sun and moon, where he can be reborn. Waking up, he finds himself in a strange place, where everything is governed by a mysterious entity known as the Watchmaker. This is his last adventure – he finds something meaningful, finally, and the wardens of the caves of ice are finally satisfied.

I figure about 14 hours ought to be enough.

• Like 3

In my continuing effort to find a Unifying Theory of Rush tunes . . . warning: Rush fanboy geeking out ahead . . . this fan forum is one of the few places I can go to express the adolescent nerd that still lurks inside.

I've long thought that a cool idea for a movie would be an animated thing - that sort of "photo-real" style of animation like you see in The Adventures of TinTin. They could weave together the various narratives from the songs, interspersed with animated concert footage.

The main character, bored with life, travels to find Xanadu and becomes imprisoned, forever to be a hero of various stories, full of ennui and apparently doomed never to find the answer. In one story, he is By-Tor, vanquished by the Snow Dog. By-Tor is given a second chance by the gods. He's sent back from hell to get rid of the necromancer, which he does. So he's been reborn as a young hero, but after the celebration has ended, he finds himself bored and wondering what it's all for. So he goes to find Lamneth, discovering there that life is nothing without some kind of dream.

While he's been gone, the Solar Federation has come and subjugated the population, bringing their technology and computers. Time passes, but he grows no older. Every effort to find some meaning or purpose is thwarted, including his effort to bring music and self-exp<b></b>ression. Even though he tries to commit suicide, he is brought back once again.

The new order turns out to be not much different from the old one. There is still war (cue Jacob’s Ladder), fear and mistrust (Witch Hunt) and general malaise (A Farewell to Kings). He begins to look towards the stars, becoming intrigued by the black hole. He joins the space program and becomes an astronaut; on a routine mission, he goes rogue and heads toward Cygnus, knowing that the mystery of the unknown is better than his dull existence on earth. In the black hole, he is psychically torn apart and is disembodied. Over the course of centuries, he witnesses the entire history of strife in the world that he left behind. Finally, he breaks free with his soundless scream. He is turned into a god and sent back in human form to live as a more balanced individual.

As a youth, he is moved by human beauty and human potential (Analog Kid). As he gets more experienced (but not older), he tries to spread his message of balance and broader perspectives about the world and life (Natural Science), but he has difficulty getting through to the people of the city, living their fast-paced lives (The Camera Eye). The world is becoming polluted and dystopian, and people’s freedoms are stripped away once again, even driving. In defiance of the law, he borrows a sports car and outraces the authorities. Sitting with his uncle by the fireside, however, he realizes that he has become a Digital Man, constantly under observation in a subdivided and synthetic world. He decides he is done with journeying and will try just to exist, living through paranoia and war, watching television (soaking up the cathode rays) and experiencing the same malaise he once suffered. He realizes he has no mission. The one thing he hasn’t tried or experienced, lasting love, turns out to be too fraught in this chaotic life.

One night in a dream (Secret Agent?) he discovers the way to get to the lake between the sun and moon, where he can be reborn. Waking up, he finds himself in a strange place, where everything is governed by a mysterious entity known as the Watchmaker. This is his last adventure – he finds something meaningful, finally, and the wardens of the caves of ice are finally satisfied.

I figure about 14 hours ought to be enough.

Cool idea. I particularly like how you connect 2112 and Hemispheres.

* First of all, 2112 is a masterpiece that make me speechless. It's close to "perfection", in so many ways. Really love the idea, it comes from imagination and observation; from feeling and reason. It's really an amazing album. :clap:

* Second, your animation: everything's connected in a certain created time-space and it's all about Rush. It does relate with song's meanings.

The way you described it, seems a great thing to do. :D

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 1

Thanks - I really do think a lot of the stories would make good cinema. I don't think it would work as a stage thing, like what Queen did (and Abba, I guess). I think it needs to be a big screen sfx extravaganza with monstrous surround sound and thudding bass.
  • Like 1

This is why Neil is the way he is

You mean tweaked out by fans who analyze his every word and his every move? You're probably right.

However, when you publish words, you put yourself out there for scrutiny and analysis. In his own words, he loves to share his thoughts and insights.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1