"Singles"

RUSHHEAD666

This movie is outdated but not bad. It was nice seeing the real Alice In Chains performing. Damn they looked great in the film,

I also really loved the Mother Love Bone music in the background.

So far I think this movie stinks, but it's the music that keeps this movie going into Legendary status. JMO

I love the vinyl records all over the floor scene. Of course Jimi Hendrix right?

Why the R.E.M.?

Oh well, they were a great college radio band back in the day when I was in college.

Once "Orange Crush" was born I wanted to vomit.

I hate R.E.M.

They make my eyes not sleep.

Of course when Jane's Addiction starts playing in this film it makes me want to be 21 again.

God I love Perry, Eric, Dave and Perkins.

This is a movie thread but FUKK THE MOVIE!

It's all about the MUSIC!!!!!

Pearl Jam used to be great too!

Love,

"TEN"

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 2

Totally. That movie was not at all about the Seattle music scene, it just used it as a backdrop to an insipid formulaic dopey romantic comedy. Bull Durham it was not.

I did have a thing fro Bridget Fonda though. Campbell Scott was cool as well. Always like him whenever he shows up in a flick. Did you ever see Big Night? Dude was a pimp!

I love Pearl Jam and Soundgarden and AIC and I did like the soundtrack back in the day. Some great tunes. Heart as an acoustic duo doing Zep? Fuggetaboutit.

I still listen to Peal Jam, every so often I go on PJ binge and listen to them for 3 or 4 days straight and ten thats it. Badmotorfinger and Facelift are great albums. Way better than Nirvana.

Badmotorfinger and Facelift are great albums. Way better than Nirvana.

Nevermind kills those albums.

AiC did a lot better than Facelift (which I do like, but it doesn't come close to Dirt or the self-titled record).

• Like 1

You're right, Earl--the soundtrack is legendary.

Absolutely! The music was the best thing about it!

I actually enjoyed the movie when it was new...but I was 20+ years younger than I am now...so anyway...haven't seen it since back then.

I even thought the Screaming Trees song on that soundrrack was great! But yes, Alice in Chains was the standout. (I thought Facelift was really good, but Dirt blows it away, in my opinion).

Nice thread!

• Like 3

I really like REM.

Eat my poo RUSHHEAD666!

(btw why are you referred to as Earl?)

• Like 1

I actually enjoyed the movie when it was new...but I was 20+ years younger than I am now...so anyway...haven't seen it since back then.

I even thought the Screaming Trees song on that soundrrack was great! But yes, Alice in Chains was the standout. (I thought Facelift was really good, but Dirt blows it away, in my opinion).

Nice thread!

I still listen to that soundtrack from time to time. "State of Love and Trust" might be my favourite Pearl Jam track, and yeah, as someone else mentioned, "Birth Ritual" is amazing.

I saw it again a few years ago, and I too had been a big fan of the film when it came out (I was 21 at the time, I think, pretty much the target demographic of film). It hadn't aged as well as I thought it might, and there was much less about the music scene than I remembered. Still, it wasn't the worst way to spend 90 minutes. It did make me miss Seattle, though, as I'd spent some time hanging out there in the late 90's/early 00's.

• Like 2

Nice thread!

I still listen to that soundtrack from time to time. "State of Love and Trust" might be my favourite Pearl Jam track, and yeah, as someone else mentioned, "Birth Ritual" is amazing.

I saw it again a few years ago, and I too had been a big fan of the film when it came out (I was 21 at the time, I think, pretty much the target demographic of film). It hadn't aged as well as I thought it might, and there was much less about the music scene than I remembered. Still, it wasn't the worst way to spend 90 minutes. It did make me miss Seattle, though, as I'd spent some time hanging out there in the late 90's/early 00's.

Interesting how a couple of people here have now said that the film isn't as good in hindsight as it once was. I remember thinking it was funny and fun, and whatever...

I'll say this- I'm still coming to terms sometimes with the fact that I'm a big person now. :P It reinforces my real age, knowing that something associated with my early adulthood is now considered nostalgic.

:codger:

• Like 1

may have to get this.

In honor of Record Store Day, Cameron Crowe’s lo-fi 1992 touchstoneSingles gets a Blu-ray upgrade with lots of extras.

Let’s not talk about Tinder. Or Hinge or Grindr or whatever new smartphone trick is supposed to obliterate loneliness now for right-swiping millennials. Instead, let’s revisit the dating rituals of 1992, so perfectly preserved in Cameron Crowe’s cult Gen-X classic Singles. Landline busy signals and unspooled answering-machine tapes are actual pivotal plot points. When someone has a pager, it’s because he’s a doctor (Bill Pullman, crinkly-eyed and cuter than a puppy). Video dating exists, but mostly as a VHS novelty; the true talisman of commitment is handing over your garage-door opener.

Romance, in other words, is still pretty analog for the new bohemians—including Matt Dillon, Kyra Sedgwick, Bridget Fonda, and Campbell Scott—who orbit around a Seattle apartment complex like denizens of a scrappier, less spandexed Melrose Place. Sometimes they sit at boxy desktop computers with blinking green cursors, but mostly they meet up at rock shows, hang out in coffee shops, and talk endlessly about love: finding it, keeping it, not blowing it with four-day callback rules. And yes, they’ve got a great soundtrack: Music is practically a main character, with club sets and cameos by grunge-era gods like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains. (Squint and you’ll catch cameos from Tim Burton, Paul Giamatti, Eric Stoltz, and Jeremy Piven, too.) There are more band performances in the EXTRAS, plus 25 deleted and extended scenes, including a whole relationship arc for Fonda and Pullman (who doesn’t even make it to first base in the final cut). Maybe it could have worked out, having her ditch her Doc Martens to become a doctor’s wife; most people’s days of rebellious orthopedic footwear are numbered anyway. But here they’re all still young and flannel-y and full of hope—and nobody needs an app for that. A–

• Complete Live Performances: Soundgarden "Birth Ritual" (SD, Dolby Digital 2.0, 5:26) – Footage from this multi-camera shoot was used in the film. Like a concert video, see the performance in its entirety here.

• Complete Live Performances: Alice in Chains "It Ain't Like That Anymore" (SD, Dolby Digital 2.0, 4:45) - Footage from this multi-camera shoot was used in the film. Like a concert video, see the performance in its entirety here.

• Complete Live Performances: Alice in Chains "Would?" (SD, Dolby Digital 2.0, 4:01) - Footage from this multi-camera shoot was used in the film. Like a concert video, see the performance in its entirety here.

Edited by Rushman14
  • Like 1

I'm not sure that I would care if Singles failed to hold up at this point. When it was new, it had an amazing way of clicking with people who were young and into that particular music scene. It might have been a product of its time, but that's enough for me, as I was there for that time.

And the soundtrack will always rock.

• Like 4

always takes me back to a simpler time.

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd515/flicheri/my%20album/my%20album/singles_rockers.jpg

YESSSSSS. Chris Cornell and his hair. :haz:

• Like 1

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd515/flicheri/my%20album/my%20album/singles_rockers.jpg

:yes:
  • Like 1

I really like REM.

Eat my poo RUSHHEAD666!

(btw why are you referred to as Earl?)

I used to love REM, but they are dead to me now. Everything after Green sucks major donkey balls. The material from the 80s is epic though.
  • Like 2

YESSSSSS. Chris Cornell and his hair. :haz:

It takes me back to a time when I had hair. :)
  • Like 1

Andrew Wood would have been Legendary!

Wait Fukk it! He is!!!!

What if Andrew never died?

What would have be Eddie Vedder's fate?

I will take Andrew over Eddie anyday!!! JMO

A music thread in the video section

Let's poll Eddie V Andrew down below!

Bone China boyz

Badmotorfinger and Facelift are great albums. Way better than Nirvana.

Nevermind kills those albums.

AiC did a lot better than Facelift (which I do like, but it doesn't come close to Dirt or the self-titled record).

Nevermind was a nice little pop record, but nothing epic like Facelift, Dirt, Badmotorfinger or Superunknown.