So I have a cool idea, and I'd like your advice...

Entre_Perpetuo

If you do attempt to contact Neil, requesting a written or emailed response would be best. The man seems to communicate thoughts well in writing, and he can do it on his own time so as not to be burdened by scheduling a meeting. Whatever you do, wait until a month after the tour is over to request the interview. He's too busy between now and then and your request will likely be lost.
  • Like 3

I think the idea of contacting Donna Halper is a good one. I'm friends with her on Facebook and she seems really nice and open to talk to. She talks to the guys on a regular basis.
  • Like 1

I think the idea of contacting Donna Halper is a good one. I'm friends with her on Facebook and she seems really nice and open to talk to. She talks to the guys on a regular basis.

Why not try and interview her and/or others who were/are close to the band?

• Like 3

So I'm a junior in high school and I'm in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program. For the IB program (which lasts through both my junior and senior years), I have to write a four thousand word extended essay on a topic of my choice. I have chosen the topic of Rush's 2112, namely its lyrics and its mass cultural impact. Put (semi) simply, over the course of the next year (starting about now), I will be writing a four thousand word essay examining the lyrics and cultural impact of Rush's breakthrough album in order to explore the question of why 2112 had and has continued to have such a prominent cultural impact including its lasting and incredible effect on Rush's fanbase.

At the present moment I have not begun writing yet, but I am gathering a list of sources which I may intend to cite in the paper. While I was talking with my school librarian earlier about finding good sources for such an essay, she suggested I try to find a way of setting up some kind of interview (anything from exchanging e-mails to meeting in person) with the man behind the lyrics, Neil Peart. I think this would be absolutely awesome, but I'm not sure how to make it happen.

So I've come here to ask you all: what do you guys think of the idea of setting up some kind of interview with Neil where I can ask him questions about his lyrics on 2112 and his opinions about the reasons for the albums humongous and lasting popularity and impact? If I were to do this, what would be the best way to contact Neil and set this up? What kind of interview should it be? Email? Social media? In person? What do you guys want to know that I could ask Neil regarding the topics my essay will be covering (2112, lyrics, cultural impact, effect on fanbase, etc.)? Should I ask questions regarding anything other than my essay What other ideas/opinions do you guys have that might be useful?

I'm asking the fan base's advice on this, so feel free to ask other Rush fans you know what they think.

...and go. :)

I would seek out any employee of the Yukon Blade Grinder...they bring home the gold Holmes!

Seriously, I'm going to think about this and get back with you. Give it your all and you'll either succeed or fail gloriously!

• Like 2

Find Neil's address and just knock on his door. Make sure you wear a Rush shirt, he likes that.

:laughing guy: And be sure to tell him he's a god. He gets pissed when you forget that part.

• Like 1

If you want you could try getting in touch with Dona Halper (I think). She's good friends with Rush and might be able to pass on some questions to Neil. She's on Facebook and Twitter but Facebook will probably be best since there's no word limit. Might seem a bit creepy but just a suggestion :)

Just going through old interviews and stuff like that will probably be best if there's no way to contact Neil. Also read some Ayn Rand since that's what the song is based on. I don't know which book exactly.

Anthem. But be warned, teachers are often liberal, and liberals have an irrational hatred of all thing Rand.

In 1982, Rand died of cancer brought on by her excessive smoking habit. Although not exactly popular in her lifetime, she became a massive figure in the ’80s and ’90s among the very rich and a certain brand of libertarian. One of the things she was most admired for was the way she stuck to her principles throughout her life . . . or so it seemed. In 2011, it was revealed that Rand had spent the last eight years of her life receiving Social Security and Medicare benefits. At the time of her death, her estate was valued at $500,000 (around $1.2 million in today’s money), suggesting her decision was motivated less by rationality than by the sort of parasitic greed she’d always claimed to despise.

What’s most interesting about all this is how Rand and her followers conspired to keep this fact a secret, even as they preached total self-reliance.

Other famous libertarians, like Isabel Paterson, stuck by their guns to the bitter end, dying in poverty rather than take Social Security. But not Rand. When the time came, she betrayed everything she stood for and kept this betrayal quiet for nearly a decade. Perhaps politicians who invoke her name to bash “welfare queens” should do their best to remember this next time.

Live By The Sword.

Fixed.

If you want you could try getting in touch with Dona Halper (I think). She's good friends with Rush and might be able to pass on some questions to Neil. She's on Facebook and Twitter but Facebook will probably be best since there's no word limit. Might seem a bit creepy but just a suggestion :)

Just going through old interviews and stuff like that will probably be best if there's no way to contact Neil. Also read some Ayn Rand since that's what the song is based on. I don't know which book exactly.

Anthem. But be warned, teachers are often liberal, and liberals have an irrational hatred of all thing Rand.

In 1982, Rand died of cancer brought on by her excessive smoking habit. Although not exactly popular in her lifetime, she became a massive figure in the ’80s and ’90s among the very rich and a certain brand of libertarian. One of the things she was most admired for was the way she stuck to her principles throughout her life . . . or so it seemed. In 2011, it was revealed that Rand had spent the last eight years of her life receiving Social Security and Medicare benefits. At the time of her death, her estate was valued at $500,000 (around $1.2 million in today’s money), suggesting her decision was motivated less by rationality than by the sort of parasitic greed she’d always claimed to despise.

What’s most interesting about all this is how Rand and her followers conspired to keep this fact a secret, even as they preached total self-reliance.

Other famous libertarians, like Isabel Paterson, stuck by their guns to the bitter end, dying in poverty rather than take Social Security. But not Rand. When the time came, she betrayed everything she stood for and kept this betrayal quiet for nearly a decade. Perhaps politicians who invoke her name to bash “welfare queens” should do their best to remember this next time.

Live By The Sword.

Fixed.

Case in point. Irrational thinking and ad hominem attacks instead of critical examination of ideas...

• Like 2

Just trying to keep it on SOCN. I didn't realize, if I choose of my own free will to be liberal, I was full of irrational hatred.

Edit....

;)

Edited by Gabrielgil513

Just trying to keep it on SOCN. I didn't realize, if I choose of my own free will to be liberal, I was full of irrational hatred.

Oh, and beware the strawmen. Emphasize the Rand connection at your grade's peril.

• Like 2

Oh, and beware the strawmen. Emphasize the Rand connection at your grade's peril.

Wizard of Oz? I'd only mention my agreement with Ms Rand that SS is important, but I'd be....grade? I didn't get an A in poly sci? Isn't defending 70s Rush over that 80s stuff more important?

So I'm a junior in high school and I'm in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program. For the IB program (which lasts through both my junior and senior years), I have to write a four thousand word extended essay on a topic of my choice. I have chosen the topic of Rush's 2112, namely its lyrics and its mass cultural impact. Put (semi) simply, over the course of the next year (starting about now), I will be writing a four thousand word essay examining the lyrics and cultural impact of Rush's breakthrough album in order to explore the question of why 2112 had and has continued to have such a prominent cultural impact including its lasting and incredible effect on Rush's fanbase.

At the present moment I have not begun writing yet, but I am gathering a list of sources which I may intend to cite in the paper. While I was talking with my school librarian earlier about finding good sources for such an essay, she suggested I try to find a way of setting up some kind of interview (anything from exchanging e-mails to meeting in person) with the man behind the lyrics, Neil Peart. I think this would be absolutely awesome, but I'm not sure how to make it happen.

So I've come here to ask you all: what do you guys think of the idea of setting up some kind of interview with Neil where I can ask him questions about his lyrics on 2112 and his opinions about the reasons for the albums humongous and lasting popularity and impact? If I were to do this, what would be the best way to contact Neil and set this up? What kind of interview should it be? Email? Social media? In person? What do you guys want to know that I could ask Neil regarding the topics my essay will be covering (2112, lyrics, cultural impact, effect on fanbase, etc.)? Should I ask questions regarding anything other than my essay What other ideas/opinions do you guys have that might be useful?

I'm asking the fan base's advice on this, so feel free to ask other Rush fans you know what they think.

Find Neil's address and just knock on his door. Make sure you wear a Rush shirt, he likes that.

Knowing enough about Peart and his preferences with fans, somehow I don't think that would end very well...

Thanks anyway! :)

Get a leather jacket and BMW hat.

Wizard of Oz? I'd only mention my agreement with Ms Rand that SS is important, but I'd be....grade? I didn't get an A in poly sci? Isn't defending 70s Rush over that 80s stuff more important?

If I put the word "many" in front of "liberals", would your objections subside? You seem to be proving my point as misinterpreted and as intended.

• Like 1

Led, we both know libs take a beating on TRF. I saw 'irrational hatred' and replied. That's it. It's unfair that I chose your post to bring it up. No points to be proven. No in depth libertarian discussion from me. I avoid SOCN for a reason. I'd rather share our like of 70s Rush as the best darn era of Rush music. And I do enjoy Neil's perspective. If I wanted to hangout with only libs I'd stay in the Pearl Jam or Radiohead forums, not TRF.
  • Like 1

I agree with this, and was going to suggest the same thing. I'd be very surprised if Donna Halper wouldn't be receptive to this. I honestly also believe Neil Peart would be receptive and helpful too, although as others have suggested, email or possibly phone correspondence is far more likely than an in-person interview.

As a side note, I also predict that Neil will think this is an ill-advised topic for your paper, and suggest you choose something more literarily renowned to base your paper on.

• Like 2

I agree with this, and was going to suggest the same thing. I'd be very surprised if Donna Halper wouldn't be receptive to this. I honestly also believe Neil Peart would be receptive and helpful too, although as others have suggested, email or possibly phone correspondence is far more likely than an in-person interview.

As a side note, I also predict that Neil will think this is an ill-advised topic for your paper, and suggest you choose something more literarily renowned to base your paper on.

:goodone:

This is the best way to get a definitive answer.

• Like 1

There's nothing creepy about OP's interest in deriving information from the source. Anyone who thinks in this fashion is a pathetic @ss-kisser. Op, take every avenue possible and be genuine, clear and concise in your presentation to Neil. All he can do is ignore ur request or write back and say no. Don't let anyone dissuade u. Good luck.. Edited by GeminiRising79
  • Like 3

There's nothing creepy about OP's interest in deriving information from the source. Anyone who thinks in this fashion is a pathetic @ss-kisser. Op, take every avenue possible and be genuine, clear and concise in your presentation to Neil. All he can do is ignore ur request or write back and say no. Don't let anyone dissuade u. Good luck..

http://www.mainlesson.com/books/baldwin/quixote/zpage080.gif

Charge on!

• Like 3

I don't know. I actually think Neil would be receptive if approached properly - there have been several good suggestions. I really think his "aversion" to fans has been way over-stated. He doesn't like being approached in public, unannounced, but I get that.
  • Like 1