So I have a cool idea, and I'd like your advice...

Entre_Perpetuo

So I'm a junior in high school and I'm in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program. For the IB program (which lasts through both my junior and senior years), I have to write a four thousand word extended essay on a topic of my choice. I have chosen the topic of Rush's 2112, namely its lyrics and its mass cultural impact. Put (semi) simply, over the course of the next year (starting about now), I will be writing a four thousand word essay examining the lyrics and cultural impact of Rush's breakthrough album in order to explore the question of why 2112 had and has continued to have such a prominent cultural impact including its lasting and incredible effect on Rush's fanbase.

At the present moment I have not begun writing yet, but I am gathering a list of sources which I may intend to cite in the paper. While I was talking with my school librarian earlier about finding good sources for such an essay, she suggested I try to find a way of setting up some kind of interview (anything from exchanging e-mails to meeting in person) with the man behind the lyrics, Neil Peart. I think this would be absolutely awesome, but I'm not sure how to make it happen.

So I've come here to ask you all: what do you guys think of the idea of setting up some kind of interview with Neil where I can ask him questions about his lyrics on 2112 and his opinions about the reasons for the albums humongous and lasting popularity and impact? If I were to do this, what would be the best way to contact Neil and set this up? What kind of interview should it be? Email? Social media? In person? What do you guys want to know that I could ask Neil regarding the topics my essay will be covering (2112, lyrics, cultural impact, effect on fanbase, etc.)? Should I ask questions regarding anything other than my essay What other ideas/opinions do you guys have that might be useful?

I'm asking the fan base's advice on this, so feel free to ask other Rush fans you know what they think.

...and go. :)

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 3

Your best bet would be to send a few questions to Anthem and hope they forward it to Neil. Anything attempted directly will lead to your name being added to the creepy guy list NP keeps.

So I'm a junior in high school and I'm in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program. For the IB program (which lasts through both my junior and senior years), I have to write a four thousand word extended essay on a topic of my choice. I have chosen the topic of Rush's 2112, namely its lyrics and its mass cultural impact. Put (semi) simply, over the course of the next year (starting about now), I will be writing a four thousand word essay examining the lyrics and cultural impact of Rush's breakthrough album in order to explore the question of why 2112 had and has continued to have such a prominent cultural impact including its lasting and incredible effect on Rush's fanbase.

At the present moment I have not begun writing yet, but I am gathering a list of sources which I may intend to cite in the paper. While I was talking with my school librarian earlier about finding good sources for such an essay, she suggested I try to find a way of setting up some kind of interview (anything from exchanging e-mails to meeting in person) with the man behind the lyrics, Neil Peart. I think this would be absolutely awesome, but I'm not sure how to make it happen.

So I've come here to ask you all: what do you guys think of the idea of setting up some kind of interview with Neil where I can ask him questions about his lyrics on 2112 and his opinions about the reasons for the albums humongous and lasting popularity and impact? If I were to do this, what would be the best way to contact Neil and set this up? What kind of interview should it be? Email? Social media? In person? What do you guys want to know that I could ask Neil regarding the topics my essay will be covering (2112, lyrics, cultural impact, effect on fanbase, etc.)? Should I ask questions regarding anything other than my essay What other ideas/opinions do you guys have that might be useful?

I'm asking the fan base's advice on this, so feel free to ask other Rush fans you know what they think.

Find Neil's address and just knock on his door. Make sure you wear a Rush shirt, he likes that.

• Like 9

Find Neil's address and just knock on his door. Make sure you wear a Rush shirt, he likes that.

Knowing enough about Peart and his preferences with fans, somehow I don't think that would end very well...

Thanks anyway! :)

Start by trying to get to Rush's publicist Shelly Nott. (If she is still there)

She will let you know if this is even possible.

Your chances are slim and very slim.

Keep the dream alive

• Like 1

Keep the dream alive

I doubt there's any universe in which you'll get an interview with Neil, but good luck with the essay anyway. :)

Thanks! Advice (and realistic prediction) appreciated! :)

• Like 2

As I seriously doubt you'll get much headway with a face-to-face interview, I would try writing a letter (not an email). I would take the advice above about going through management, but I would also try sending the letter directly to him. Make sure to keep the "creep factor" to a minimum.

As a plan B, I would just look into getting all previous interviews with Peart on 2112...he's answered questions about this song hundreds of times. Maybe not your specific ones, but ones very similar.

• Like 5

As I seriously doubt you'll get much headway with a face-to-face interview, I would try writing a letter (not an email). I would take the advice above about going through management, but I would also try sending the letter directly to him. Make sure to keep the "creep factor" to a minimum.

As a plan B, I would just look into getting all previous interviews with Peart on 2112...he's answered questions about this song hundreds of times. Maybe not your specific ones, but ones very similar.

Thanks for your input. I'll definitely be looking up other sources, but to have my exact questions answered would certainly be most helpful. I hadn't considered a regular letter; it sounds interesting, and probably a great idea.

:)

Keep the dream alive

I thought she died from cancer a few years back? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Keep the dream alive

I thought she died from cancer a few years back? Or am I thinking of someone else?

:(

That's sad...

If you want you could try getting in touch with Dona Halper (I think). She's good friends with Rush and might be able to pass on some questions to Neil. She's on Facebook and Twitter but Facebook will probably be best since there's no word limit. Might seem a bit creepy but just a suggestion :)

Just going through old interviews and stuff like that will probably be best if there's no way to contact Neil. Also read some Ayn Rand since that's what the song is based on. I don't know which book exactly.

Edited by LittleRushmonkey
  • Like 1

In my honest opinion....I think a letter with your intentions, along with some questions that you want answered would be best served by sending them directly to Rush's office...wherever that might be...

Unlike years back when you could shoot a letter to Modern Drummer Magazine, and they'd forward it so you could get a post card back, I think their office's are your best bet. If THAT makes it through, you may even get an email address that you might be able to submit a few more questions to, and at the best case, maybe a phone interview.

I think it's a pretty broad undertaking, but you never know....Good luck with it!

• Like 1

If you are intent on going through with the interview format I would plan for a plan B consisting of a fake interview. He has said enough about the album through past interviews and such that you could find more than enough responses to any number of hypothetical questions. Of course you'd have to append a disclaimer explaining the facade. Though, I do think a plan A of showing up at his door with a 2112 baseball t on is the best plan. Greet him with a resounding, "DUDE, you're AWESOME!" Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 3

If you want you could try getting in touch with Dona Halper (I think). She's good friends with Rush and might be able to pass on some questions to Neil. She's on Facebook and Twitter but Facebook will probably be best since there's no word limit. Might seem a bit creepy but just a suggestion :)

Just going through old interviews and stuff like that will probably be best if there's no way to contact Neil. Also read some Ayn Rand since that's what the song is based on. I don't know which book exactly.

Anthem. But be warned, teachers are often liberal, and liberals have an irrational hatred of all thing Rand.

• Like 2

Go to Google Scholar and try "Rush 2112" as a keyword search - you'll find a crapload of sources. I think your teacher(s) will be just as impressed (if not more so) with your critical examination of published sources as they would by your getting insights from the man himself - which I agree with others is a pretty unlikely scenario.

http://scholar.google.ca/scholar?q=Rush+2112&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5

• Like 1

Oh the wonderful EE! I received my IB diploma in 2003, but back then they strongly advised candidates to have multiple types of sources for the EE. Perhaps you have already done so, but I would also consider both album reviews and concert reviews as potentially compelling references. Concert reviews might seem a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack at times, but you may find a reviewer describing the audience reaction to 2112 material in a manner that supports your argument. Another interesting thing that you can do with 2112 is note the development of its significance and reception over time.

The essay can be a bit of a beast but good luck; I hope you have a lot of fun with it! I don't have much to offer in terms of reaching Peart, though, sorry!

• Like 1

Dude you are terrible!

;)

Edited by JohnRogers

Keep the dream alive

Now that you mention it, you may be right Lorraine

Keep the dream alive

Now that you mention it, you may be right Lorraine

She's the one in the Rio documentary, right? She's the one that died. I think in 2008. Somewhere around that time.

As others have pointed out, be sure to read Anthem by Ayn Rand which 2112 is based on.

Here is another little tidbit about the cultural impact of 2112 that you could include: A comic book issue of Defenders was supposedly based on 2112. I bought this 20 years or so ago, and I didn't really get the reference. Here is a link for it: http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/comicbook-thedefenders.php