Is Neil a fan of David Foster Wallace?

Blue J

I was thinking about that line in The Garden, "Time is still the infinite jest." Infinite Jest, of corse, is the title of David Foster Wallace's longest novel, and I wonder if anybody knows if Neil is a particular fan of Wallace's writing. Or is the occurrence of that lyric purely happenstance?

Not sure, maybe he is simply impressed by the phrase it'self.

Not sure he is a Shakespeare fan either although he has famously para-phrased Bill on more than one occassion.

This is true.

I don't even know who David Foster Wallace is. I think a trip to wikipedia is in order.

To be honest, I started on Infinite Jest, but never finished it. It is just mind-boggling. His first novel, called Broom of the System, published when he was 23 or 24 years old, is really fantastic if you don't mind his quirks (what I'm saying is I can see how he might not appeal to everybody). He also has a couple of collections of short stories, and an unfinished novel, The Pale King, which was published posthumously.

He died by suicide in September of 2008.

:rose:

Edited by Blue J

I don't even know who David Foster Wallace is. I think a trip to wikipedia is in order.

To be honest, I started on Infinite Jest, but never finished it. It is just mind-boggling. His first novel, called Broom of the System, published when he was 23 or 24 years old, is really fantastic if you don't mind his quirks (what I'm saying is I can see how he might not appeal to everybody). He also has a couple of collections of short stories, and an unfinished novel, The Pale King, which was published posthumously.

He died by suicide in September of 2008.

:rose:

I just read what had happened. Aw, dude... :( :rose:

• Like 1

Me either...

I was thinking about that line in The Garden, "Time is still the infinite jest." Infinite Jest, of corse, is the title of David Foster Wallace's longest novel, and I wonder if anybody knows if Neil is a particular fan of Wallace's writing. Or is the occurrence of that lyric purely happenstance?

I'm pretty sure Neil is. I ran across NP's blog because I read that he had reading lists on there; I always like those so I went there. He lists books he has enjoyed and I remember at least one by David Foster Wallace is on there; plus a biography of DFW- "Every Story Is a Ghost Story" that NP read also. I also vaguely remember Neil mentioning DFW and his writing in at least one of his blogs, maybe when that biography came out? (Sorry to be so vague, I am one of those that finds Neil's blogs wordy except when he is writing about his daughter Olivia or being out west in places I have been myself . . .)

Anyway, I was considering Infinite Jest as well and someone told me the same thing; that is was somewhat difficult to get in to; and I didn't get back to it. However, DFW gave a wonderful graduation speech about 10 years ago that has been all over the internet in different forms but if you haven't ever seen it it is worth reading-

http://www.theguardi.../sep/20/fiction

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure Neil is. I ran across NP's blog because I read that he had reading lists on there; I always like those so I went there. He lists books he has enjoyed and I remember at least one by David Foster Wallace is on there; plus a biography of DFW- "Every Story Is a Ghost Story" that NP read also. I also vaguely remember Neil mentioning DFW and his writing in at least one of his blogs, maybe when that biography came out? (Sorry to be so vague, I am one of those that finds Neil's blogs wordy except when he is writing about his daughter or being out west in places I have been myself . . .)

Anyway, I was considering Infinite Jest as well and someone told me the same thing; that is was somewhat difficult to get in to; and I didn't get back to it. However, DFW gave a wonderful graduation speech about 10 years ago that has been all over the internet in different forms but if you haven't ever seen it it is worth reading-

http://moreintellige...n-his-own-words

I am familiar with that speech, though I haven't ever watched/heard it. Thank you! Both for that and the rest of your post.

He was one of my sister's favorites. :) That was mainly how I knew about him, back when.

• Like 1

Yes, he is one of my son's favorites; but he gets into deeper fiction. My son told me about Infinite Jest but it sounded too heavy for me! Not sure why, I enjoy intellectual writing up to a point but then I start wishing it was a who done it mystery !

Right, it is in Hamlet, but there are holes in both my memory and education you could drive a truck through . . . but as I tell my kids, I know all the words to "Stairway to Heaven" and "Anthem," do you, haha :) Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

Yes, he's a huge fan and reviews a couple of his books in Bubba's book club and offers some personal comments about his life since one was about DFW?

And yes, Infinate Jest is considered one of America's great works by many and that is where the line comes from.

• Like 2

I'll add my 2 cents here, I don't think the phrase infinite jest in CA is a reference to DFW work. From reading that link from NEP, he is talking about another one of DFW's work.

Neil does like to quote the Bard but I believe he just likes the way it sounds IMHO. Neil says Candide was one of his influences for CA but I still haven't read it yet.