Journey

Xanadu

I'm gonna be honest, I don't really like them. I got so burn out on them in middle school because Glee did a cover of Don't Stop Believing and it was all I heard. It got to the point where I don't want to hear any of their songs. But one time a Journey tribute band called DSB played at my school during my freshman year and they were pretty damn good. I guess I enjoyed that because of the concert-ish atmosphere.

I don't like their music, often times I wind up shirtless with a mic in my hand at a wedding reception signing their songs. Yeah I'm not kidding... :(
  • Like 1

I used to like them back in the Steve Perry days. I thought they had some really good music. It got a lot of radio airplay and after this amount of time people are probably burned out on a lot of it.
  • Like 3

Many moons ago, these guys were my favorite band.

Who else is/was a fan? Do you like their new singer Arnel Pineda?

Not into the new lineup...Steve Perry's their only lead vox I recognize. Escape, Infinity, and Frontiers were their best offerings IMO.

• Like 1

I think "Infinity" is a great album start to finish.

Right on. I picked it up a couple of years ago at a garage sale for a buck.

• Like 2

Journey got NO radio play in Australia. I absolutely love them. They toured Oz for the first time a couple of years ago in a co-headliner with Deep Purple (!) and I thoroughly enjoyed it - even traveled interstate to see them again. Finally seeing those songs played live after all those years - I confess that I lost it a bit!

My God! I'm under the influence! I have seen ever MK of Journey. I THINK JOURNEY IS CRAP NOW! Arnel is Junk. Steve Perry killed the band. I saw the band with Steve Augeri. JUNK

The only Journey albums worth owning are the FIRS THREE LPS! NO STEVE PERRY! They are masterpieces!

"Infinity" is great but after that forget it! NO WONDER STEVE SMITH LEFT! "Frontiers" is AWFUL AOR!!!

Neal is a self absorbed egomaniac. Personally I think Dave Meniketti is a much better guitar player and he can sing! Schon can't do shit except play the same guitar riff over and over again.

Neal is like Carlos Santana. Both from the Bay Area. Both play the same fuckking guitar solo in every song. OVER AND OVER AND OVER!

Sorry if you think am filled with hate this late but man I've seen it all.

Journey is so overrated. I saw that Arnel guy and I walked out. He is so weak. An Internet find. An Internet waste.

Nothing touches the first three albums.

Hey Neal used to play in Santana. Duh! Two of the most overrated guitar players in the world. Same solo. Same riff. Same long boring extended notes.

I'm just a Bay Area Brat.

I respect all of your opinions overseas. Love this band.

I can only love the first four albums.

I loved "Escape" when I was a kid but I grew out if it quickly.

Also the fukking San Francisco Giants used "Don't Stop Believing" in 2012. Made me sick. Steve Perry sang to it live at AT&T Park. UGH!

Anyway I'm just a "Spaceman."

I will always "Look Into The Future!"

Dunbar is a great drummer.

I think "Infinity" is a great album start to finish.

Right on. I picked it up a couple of years ago at a garage sale for a buck.

"Infinity" is their last great record.

Well, not really.

"NEXT" is their last great record.

My God! I'm under the influence! I have seen ever MK of Journey. I THINK JOURNEY IS CRAP NOW! Arnel is Junk. Steve Perry killed the band. I saw the band with Steve Augeri. JUNK

The only Journey albums worth owning are the FIRS THREE LPS! NO STEVE PERRY! They are masterpieces!

"Infinity" is great but after that forget it! NO WONDER STEVE SMITH LEFT! "Frontiers" is AWFUL AOR!!!

Neal is a self absorbed egomaniac. Personally I think Dave Meniketti is a much better guitar player and he can sing! Schon can't do shit except play the same guitar riff over and over again.

Neal is like Carlos Santana. Both from the Bay Area. Both play the same fuckking guitar solo in every song. OVER AND OVER AND OVER!

Sorry if you think am filled with hate this late but man I've seen it all.

Journey is so overrated. I saw that Arnel guy and I walked out. He is so weak. An Internet find. An Internet waste.

Nothing touches the first three albums.

Hey Neal used to play in Santana. Duh! Two of the most overrated guitar players in the world. Same solo. Same riff. Same long boring extended notes.

I'm just a Bay Area Brat.

I respect all of your opinions overseas. Love this band.

I can only love the first four albums.

I loved "Escape" when I was a kid but I grew out if it quickly.

Also the fukking San Francisco Giants used "Don't Stop Believing" in 2012. Made me sick. Steve Perry sang to it live at AT&T Park. UGH!

Anyway I'm just a "Spaceman."

I will always "Look Into The Future!"

Dunbar is a great drummer.

Mate! We disagree!

Let me save the situation by agreeing that Aynsley is indeed awesome. His playing on the first record, especially the way he builds the guitar solo in 'Of A Lifetime' was one of my greatest learning moments as a drummer. He pulled the same trick in Whitesnake's 'Still Of The Night' on 1987.

He toured Oz with Eric Burdon and I saw a 'live in the studio' session on TV and he was just sublime.

Still love Journey though ...

• Like 1

the new Singer...........they're aiming for a perry clone and i'm not buying it, lol. He can sing man but there was only one Perry. THAT was Journey.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Not really sure what to say about Journey.

Really good band, but massively overhyped. Like, after all the flack I get for loving Toto around here, as well as rolled eyes for being a big Bon Jovi fan, I came to this band expecting to be blown away, as they seem to be quite well regarded around here.

I was actually really dissapointed. I think Toto are better by a long shot, and Bon Jovi wrote better singles.

Journey are good, really good. But Steve Perry is a great vocalist who, for whatever reason, sings from the head but not the heart. And I just don't get it sadly.

Two of my favourite AOR bands released genre classics that frequently get overlooked: Trillion and Strangeways. Hey wrote similar style music, but I truly believe they leave a better impression as album artists than Journey ever did, as most who have heard their music agrees.

I like Journey A LOT. But to rattle on and be sarcastic frequently around here for being a fan of AOR and cheese, Journey fall jnto the same category as Queen, another band that fans of "serious" rock seem to love, which confuses me as I find them about the same quality wise as the bands that get laughed at.

Journey wrote the same album over and over. Some greatness, yes, but their lack of variety makes them no better or worse than Bon Jovi, and no where near as varied or musically thrilling than Toto.

I do like them a lot more than Queen though.

Fans of Journey who haven't already should check out these two stunning albums:

Trillion- Trillion

Strangeways- Native Sons

• Like 1

I think Toto wins but just slightly.......but ask me tomorrow you may get a different answer. I think Toto and Journey are very close musically. I always considered them 2 sides of the same coin. some may not hear it but i do.

Mick

I think Toto wins but just slightly.......but ask me tomorrow you may get a different answer. I think Toto and Journey are very close musically. I always considered them 2 sides of the same coin. some may not hear it but i do.

Mick

I don't hear it but I take your word for it!

• Like 1

I have two copies of Infinity (not sure how that happened). I have Escape and Departure also. Not sure why I don't have Evolution. I would have bet anything that I had it. I also have an album pictured below In The Beginning. This album highlights their pre Perry work. I honestly don't recall how good it is or even what its like as I haven't heard it in 35 years probably. I know I would have bought it back in the day because I really wanted to know what pre Infinity Journey sounded like as I am a fan of Gregg Rolie and his vocals and how great they blended with Perry on Infinity. I saw them 3 times back in their heyday (very early 80's) and enjoyed them very much. My wife was a fan too and I think they are the only rock band we ever saw together. Its hard not to enjoy Journey's late 70's early 80's music in my opinion. I know I do... :codger:

http://eil.com/images/main/Journey-In-The-Beginning-423153.jpg

• Like 3

Journey to me was so much hype.

Sadly FM radio has created much of the negativity.

Anytime a band has 3-4 songs pounded to death by FM radio, 30 years on, they are viewed badly.

That being said Journey had some great cuts on albums like Escape.

I have even deleted Don't Stop Believin' from my iPod, never, EVER need to hear it again.

But Still They Ride, Stone In Love ..great tunes

• Like 1

interesting.....Neal Schon the guitar player was originally in Carlos Santana's band in the early 70's. He was all of 14 i think. With Gregg Rolie who became journey's first keyboard player.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Definitely was a fan back in the day, even of the pre-Steve Perry records. They lost me with Raised On Radio though.

Not unlike We Built This City was to The Airplane or Starship or Jefferson whatever... :sigh: :|
  • Like 2