Journey

Xanadu

Not really sure what to say about Journey.

Really good band, but massively overhyped. Like, after all the flack I get for loving Toto around here, as well as rolled eyes for being a big Bon Jovi fan, I came to this band expecting to be blown away, as they seem to be quite well regarded around here.

I was actually really dissapointed. I think Toto are better by a long shot, and Bon Jovi wrote better singles.

Journey are good, really good. But Steve Perry is a great vocalist who, for whatever reason, sings from the head but not the heart. And I just don't get it sadly.

Two of my favourite AOR bands released genre classics that frequently get overlooked: Trillion and Strangeways. Hey wrote similar style music, but I truly believe they leave a better impression as album artists than Journey ever did, as most who have heard their music agrees.

I like Journey A LOT. But to rattle on and be sarcastic frequently around here for being a fan of AOR and cheese, Journey fall jnto the same category as Queen, another band that fans of "serious" rock seem to love, which confuses me as I find them about the same quality wise as the bands that get laughed at.

Journey wrote the same album over and over. Some greatness, yes, but their lack of variety makes them no better or worse than Bon Jovi, and no where near as varied or musically thrilling than Toto.

I do like them a lot more than Queen though.

Fans of Journey who haven't already should check out these two stunning albums:

Trillion- Trillion

Strangeways- Native Sons

BJ,

Better singles? :laughing guy:

• Like 1

Really good band, but massively overhyped. Like, after all the flack I get for loving Toto around here, as well as rolled eyes for being a big Bon Jovi fan, I came to this band expecting to be blown away, as they seem to be quite well regarded around here.

I was actually really dissapointed. I think Toto are better by a long shot, and Bon Jovi wrote better singles.

Journey are good, really good. But Steve Perry is a great vocalist who, for whatever reason, sings from the head but not the heart. And I just don't get it sadly.

Two of my favourite AOR bands released genre classics that frequently get overlooked: Trillion and Strangeways. Hey wrote similar style music, but I truly believe they leave a better impression as album artists than Journey ever did, as most who have heard their music agrees.

I like Journey A LOT. But to rattle on and be sarcastic frequently around here for being a fan of AOR and cheese, Journey fall jnto the same category as Queen, another band that fans of "serious" rock seem to love, which confuses me as I find them about the same quality wise as the bands that get laughed at.

Journey wrote the same album over and over. Some greatness, yes, but their lack of variety makes them no better or worse than Bon Jovi, and no where near as varied or musically thrilling than Toto.

Trillion- Trillion

Strangeways- Native Sons

BJ,

Humour him......it's his latest Segue phase. it'll pass.

Mick

• Like 2

Saw them up here back in the mid 80's,

The demand was so great they played another night or two. Maybe three. Great concert and sound considering the arena. :codger:

That's one group I wish I'd gone to see when SP was singing for them.

• Like 1

Many moons ago, these guys were my favorite band.

Who else is/was a fan? Do you like their new singer Arnel Pineda?

My God! I'm under the influence! I have seen ever MK of Journey. I THINK JOURNEY IS CRAP NOW! Arnel is Junk. Steve Perry killed the band. I saw the band with Steve Augeri. JUNK

The only Journey albums worth owning are the FIRS THREE LPS! NO STEVE PERRY! They are masterpieces!

"Infinity" is great but after that forget it! NO WONDER STEVE SMITH LEFT! "Frontiers" is AWFUL AOR!!!

Neal is a self absorbed egomaniac. Personally I think Dave Meniketti is a much better guitar player and he can sing! Schon can't do shit except play the same guitar riff over and over again.

Neal is like Carlos Santana. Both from the Bay Area. Both play the same fuckking guitar solo in every song. OVER AND OVER AND OVER!

Sorry if you think am filled with hate this late but man I've seen it all.

Journey is so overrated. I saw that Arnel guy and I walked out. He is so weak. An Internet find. An Internet waste.

Nothing touches the first three albums.

Hey Neal used to play in Santana. Duh! Two of the most overrated guitar players in the world. Same solo. Same riff. Same long boring extended notes.

I'm just a Bay Area Brat.

I respect all of your opinions overseas. Love this band.

I can only love the first four albums.

I loved "Escape" when I was a kid but I grew out if it quickly.

Also the fukking San Francisco Giants used "Don't Stop Believing" in 2012. Made me sick. Steve Perry sang to it live at AT&T Park. UGH!

Anyway I'm just a "Spaceman."

I will always "Look Into The Future!"

Dunbar is a great drummer.

Mate! We disagree!

Let me save the situation by agreeing that Aynsley is indeed awesome. His playing on the first record, especially the way he builds the guitar solo in 'Of A Lifetime' was one of my greatest learning moments as a drummer. He pulled the same trick in Whitesnake's 'Still Of The Night' on 1987.

He toured Oz with Eric Burdon and I saw a 'live in the studio' session on TV and he was just sublime.

Still love Journey though ...

It's cool that we disagree but I totally get it! No worries! I am done with Journey! May you enjoy them until the end!

Ironically the only way I would ever see them again would be with a Perry reunion.

That will never happen.

Actually the current drummer is Journey is fukking awesome. He can sing better than wimpy ARNEL! JMO!

• Like 1

Trillion- Trillion

Strangeways- Native Sons

Well stated. Your rock AOR knowledge is excellent. I have "Trillion" on Japanese cd. It's also remastered on Rock Candy I believe.

Strangeways I don't have.

Trillion- Trillion

Strangeways- Native Sons

BJ,

Humour him......it's his latest Segue phase. it'll pass.

Mick

My current phase is Nightwish, Paradise Lost and Strangeways.

Jovi phase passed. I still think they are awesome.

I hear them enough on the radio.

Dig deeper,

:guitar: :D

Dude, I've been listening to this stuff for 35 years. They do have some great tunes its no lie, some phenomenal music.

They are a Greatest Hits band for me. Plain and simple.

Thats fine,

My point was I posted a tune that I personally have never heard on the radio. :D

• Like 1

I don't mind Journey, love the Escape album but haven't listened to much else. Steve Perry is a great singer, one of my favs!
  • Like 1

Saw them up here back in the mid 80's,

The demand was so great they played another night or two. Maybe three. Great concert and sound considering the arena. :codger:

You know, I was thinking about them last night when I was attempting to do the nightly impossible - fall asleep.

I remembered that I didn't know one person back in the eighties who didn't like them. Even those people who were worlds apart from myself when it came to taste in music - Journey was the common ground and meeting place.

And we all ran to see them in concert.

• Like 2

I always dug Journey. Agree that up to Escape was great and they lost me after.

Steve Perry's voice was incredible. Undeniable talent whatever the current opinion is of him. He was clearly a bit of an ass and broke up the band but his talent was unquestionable.

Good music and they did what they did very well. Every song doesn't have to be an epic masterpiece about the universe and trees and shit. Sometimes it's just a really good catchy song and that's cool, too.

I think Steve Perry's voice was angelic. Between him and Neil Schon's guitar work they were a very tight unit. Steve Smith and Ross Valory were a great rhythm section. I remember learning a lot of Ross's bass parts when I was younger. He is a very tasty player.

Agreed. Stone In Love was one of the first complete pieces I remember learning on bass. Interesting line and then sweet melodic runs at the end. Melody has always intrigued me.

• Like 3

This was one of my favorites off Infinity.

Winds of March

Great song but they all are on that one... :)
  • Like 1

I always dug Journey. Agree that up to Escape was great and they lost me after.

Steve Perry's voice was incredible. Undeniable talent whatever the current opinion is of him. He was clearly a bit of an ass and broke up the band but his talent was unquestionable.

Good music and they did what they did very well. Every song doesn't have to be an epic masterpiece about the universe and trees and shit. Sometimes it's just a really good catchy song and that's cool, too.

I think Steve Perry's voice was angelic. Between him and Neil Schon's guitar work they were a very tight unit. Steve Smith and Ross Valory were a great rhythm section. I remember learning a lot of Ross's bass parts when I was younger. He is a very tasty player.

Agreed. Stone In Love was one of the first complete pieces I remember learning on bass. Interesting line and then sweet melodic runs at the end. Melody has always intrigued me.

That's true - great bass line on Stone In Love. Also love the bass line on Who's Crying Now.

• Like 3

Journey became my favorite band on Christmas Day, 1980 when I got their album "Departure". It is still my favorite Journey album. They were pushed down the list a bit when I discovered Rush two years later. But I got their back catalog and eventually "Escape" in 1981. "Infinity" to "Escape" are the best, although I like the Gregg Rolie years better than Jonathan Cain.

"I'm Cryin'" from Departure:

"People and Places" from Departure:

Edited by circumstantial tree

Love Journey. Never got to see them with Steve Perry. Saw them with one of the newer singers (Steve A.?) and they were very good but still a little disappointing. Expected more. Than saw them with Arnel. Wow!!!!

Have seen them multiple times since and they are just great live - every time.