Journey

Xanadu

Definitely was a fan back in the day, even of the pre-Steve Perry records. They lost me with Raised On Radio though.

Not unlike We Built This City was to The Airplane or Starship or Jefferson whatever... :sigh: :|

You mean we built this shitty?

Mick

• Like 1

I loved Journey..saw them twice in concert (One with Perry and one with Arnel.) Both talented.,..both wanted to be the star. ♪♪

What happened to the guy after Perry? Steve Augeri

I loved Journey..saw them twice in concert (One with Perry and one with Arnel.) Both talented.,..both wanted to be the star. ♪♪

apparently Steve Augeri was having some serious voice issues.

BTW, I highly recommend this record from the early 90's. The band is Tall Stories and featured Steve Augeri on vocals. It's Journeyish but rockin.

http://youtu.be/fE9py7N7zfM

Edited by Rushman14

He joined the Swiss National Army and is now a Mountie in the Alps. Part time Sheppard. But hey hes doin what hes always wanted to do with his life.

• Like 1

I don't care if they are made fun of. I put the group of albums from Infinity to Escape up against ANY band.

Mick

I agree wholeheartedly. Up against Steve Perry, most lead singers sound like frogs croaking out a tune.

• Like 2

I always dug Journey. Agree that up to Escape was great and they lost me after.

Steve Perry's voice was incredible. Undeniable talent whatever the current opinion is of him. He was clearly a bit of an ass and broke up the band but his talent was unquestionable.

Good music and they did what they did very well. Every song doesn't have to be an epic masterpiece about the universe and trees and shit. Sometimes it's just a really good catchy song and that's cool, too.

• Like 3

Steve Perry's voice was incredible. Undeniable talent whatever the current opinion is of him. He was clearly a bit of an ass and broke up the band but his talent was unquestionable.

Good music and they did what they did very well. Every song doesn't have to be an epic masterpiece about the universe and trees and shit. Sometimes it's just a really good catchy song and that's cool, too.

Leave it to our KennyLee! :wub: Hiya, Kenny! :hi:

• Like 2

Hi !! :hi:

• Like 1

Hi !! :hi:

Hey Ken. The man knows his sh*t... :cheers: :hi:
  • Like 1

I think this is one of those groups where you had to be there to really like them. to me, they've got the worst of prog and the worst of pop all rolled into one. I do like that lovin touchin squeezin song

I think this is one of those groups where you had to be there to really like them. to me, they've got the worst of prog and the worst of pop all rolled into one. I do like that lovin touchin squeezin song

My daughter (now 28) really loves Journey and she has some kind of "best of" CD. Its hard to listen to that without tapping the toe and singing along and enjoying it for whatever that's worth... :huh:
  • Like 1

The first 3 are excellent.

Evolution & Infinity are perfect pop rock albums. Departure is good.

However, when Greg Rolie was replaced by that hairdresser Jonathan Cain they went downhill fast.

But when they were on it, they were great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vZlnW4RePw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElVNFvLq62U

Agreed on your statement regarding Rolie and Cain for sure. That's why I think Infinity is impeccable. The Rolie Perry combo was great while it lasted...

I read up on him that last time we were on a Journey kick on here. They say he never sings anymore. Some were wondering if that is because he can no longer sing as he used to, and he would rather be remembered for having the capabilities of blowing any other lead singer right off the stage with his powerful voice.

I think Steve Perry's voice was angelic. Between him and Neil Schon's guitar work they were a very tight unit. Steve Smith and Ross Valory were a great rhythm section. I remember learning a lot of Ross's bass parts when I was younger. He is a very tasty player.

• Like 2

They were great in concert too. I had the opportunity to see them in the eighties with Steve Perry.

I saw them on the ROR tour in 1986, and was lucky I got to, because that tour was cut short due to SP's hip issues. And after that, it was all downhill so I am very lucky.

Btw, I disagree that ROR was a crappy album, but I would agree that it wasn't as strong as some of their other work.

• Like 1