What's the best 'sounding' Rush album? I pick 'Counterparts'

Rush Fan in Michigan

I love the sound of S&A, not the writing (though I like most of that, the instrument side of it anyway) but the crispness and power without head-numbing effect of pre-remix VT. The guitar solo in A Larger Bowl is my favorite post-Terry Brown Rush moment.

After S&A I'd add a vote for CP, despite the weakness of the material.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

A Farewell to Kings has a clear sound that no other Rush album has achieved

Yup. A Farewell To Kings for me as well. I has such a great vibe to it.

• Like 2

Is there a Terry Brown album which isn't a good candidate for "best sounding"?
  • Like 2

Signals is debatable around here. I like it.......but some don't

Mick

I was going to suggest that same one. I think some of the songs on it sound fantastic, and some of them are a little iffy- strictly in terms of production values, I'm saying.

• Like 2

Signals is debatable around here. I like it.......but some don't

Mick

I was going to suggest that same one. I think some of the songs on it sound fantastic, and some of them are a little iffy- strictly in terms of production values, I'm saying.

As i said i enjoy it. but i think alex's guitar could have been treated better.

Just a tiny complaint, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Best sounding album? Probably have to go with Moving Pictures, maybe Hemispheres.

I prefer Alex's guitar tone from COS through Hemispheres. We should start a thread on Alex's tone. I'd like to know what others think on that topic.

On the subject of Alex's tone, I'd say Hemispheres, without a doubt. He achieved a tone on that album that was unlike anything he's ever done, before or since. Just outta sight!

In my opinion, Alex's guitar tone has changed a lot in recent years. Best way I can think to describe it is "angry". Over distorted and grindy. For the most part, he's lost the beautiful, soaring tone he had in the past and that's a shame. It was beautiful.

The song you called "Everyday People" is actually called "Everyday Glory".

Of the two, I prefer The Sly and the Family Stone song to the mediocre Rush song.

:rfl: Me too... :cheers:
  • Like 1

The song you called "Everyday People" is actually called "Everyday Glory".

Of the two, I prefer The Sly and the Family Stone song to the mediocre Rush song.

:rfl: Me too... :cheers:

And so on and so on and scobby dooby do.

lol

Mick

• Like 2

Nope....

I love the raw sound of the Debut. Super raw bad@ss guitar. The loud and clear thumping of the bass. The drums are pretty plain and ordinary but I can hear them clearly. I am probably alone on this but I enjoy it. Not unlike the recording of ATWAS. I just love the sound... :rush:
  • Like 1

I love the sound of S&A, not the writing (though I like most of that, the instrument side of it anyway) but the crispness and power without head-numbing effect of pre-remix VT. The guitar solo in A Larger Bowl is my favorite post-Terry Brown Rush moment.

Good call on S & A. It does sound fantastic...a great balance of power and warmth. My favorite post-Brown solo is also on S & A, but it's the solo in the Main Monkey Business. Alex's tone is incredible, beginning at 2:48.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/92710-are-you-a-guys-girl/unread/

Best sounding album? Probably have to go with Moving Pictures, maybe Hemispheres.

I prefer Alex's guitar tone from COS through Hemispheres. We should start a thread on Alex's tone. I'd like to know what others think on that topic.

A

On the subject of Alex's tone, I'd say Hemispheres, without a doubt. He achieved a tone on that album that was unlike anything he's ever done, before or since. Just outta sight!

In my opinion, Alex's guitar tone has changed a lot in recent years. Best way I can think to describe it is "angry". Over distorted and grindy. For the most part, he's lost the beautiful, soaring tone he had in the past and that's a shame. It was beautiful.

Over the last few albums and tours Alex has been using Hughes and Kettner amps of which he has a signature model(expensive!!!).They are loud ,brutish amps and give Marshall a run for their money.Alex went back to Marshalls along with humbucking guitars(Gibson,PRS)on Counterparts which is why it's grungier than RTB.I have played through one of these H&K amps and its like been hit by a bus,thats part of the reason Vapor Trails is so loud apart from the remastering.I personally prefer his sound before H&K.Sorry about all this guitar talk but its this OCD thing
  • Like 1

I love the raw sound of the Debut. Super raw bad@ss guitar. The loud and clear thumping of the bass. The drums are pretty plain and ordinary but I can hear them clearly. I am probably alone on this but I enjoy it. Not unlike the recording of ATWAS. I just love the sound... :rush:

You're not alone. I like it a lot, and I agree it sounds great.

• Like 2

A

Over the last few albums and tours Alex has been using Hughes and Kettner amps of which he has a signature model(expensive!!!).They are loud ,brutish amps and give Marshall a run for their money.Alex went back to Marshalls along with humbucking guitars(Gibson,PRS)on Counterparts which is why it's grungier than RTB.I have played through one of these H&K amps and its like been hit by a bus,thats part of the reason Vapor Trails is so loud apart from the remastering.I personally prefer his sound before H&K.Sorry about all this guitar talk but its this OCD thing

Yeah I would agree it's probably his amp choice but also somewhat due to his decision to add so much gain.

You're not alone. I like it a lot, and I agree it sounds great.

:hug2: .... :LOL:

Good call on S & A. It does sound fantastic...a great balance of power and warmth. My favorite post-Brown solo is also on S & A, but it's the solo in the Main Monkey Business. Alex's tone is incredible, beginning at 2:48.

http://www.therushfo...ys-girl/unread/

I was playing S&A on the way to my 4 year-old son's swimming lesson (we usually listen to They Might Be Giants 123s or ABCs but sometimes he lets me listen to my stuff). He has definite and kind of curious (from my POV) opinions about which songs he likes and which he doesn't. TMMB is his favorite. When I asked him why he said it was the drums. Smart kid if I'm allowed to say. I have to say though that the guitar is what does it for me, mainly. It took me awhile to really appreciate the musicianship on that album but once it clicked it really clicked. I just skip The Way the Wind Blows and I'm content (try it; improves the album greatly).

Edit: I think you posted the wrong link. Here it is I think. My favorite part is at 3:40, but it's one of many here.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 3

I was playing S&A on the way to my 4 year-old son's swimming lesson (we usually listen to They Might Be Giants 123s or ABCs but sometimes he lets me listen to my stuff). He has definite and kind of curious (from my POV) opinions about which songs he likes and which he doesn't. TMMB is his favorite. When I asked him why he said it was the drums. Smart kid if I'm allowed to say. I have to say though that the guitar is what does it for me, mainly. It took me awhile to really appreciate the musicianship on that album but once it clicked it really clicked. I just skip The Way the Wind Blows and I'm content (try it; improves the album greatly).

Edit: I think you posted the wrong link. Here it is I think. My favorite part is at 3:40, but it's one of many here.

That section of the song really does rock.

• Like 1

I love the sound of Vapor Trails for that album. It works.

Best actual sounding album? Tie between Moving Pictures and Test For Echo for me.

I recall telling a friend around 1995 that they had never topped the sound of Moving Pictures but he disagreed and said Counterparts sounded better. We compared and I thought Counterparts did sound better. I still think it has the best overall presentation but I prefer certain aspects of other albums.
  • Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ajfuf9W6B0

Yeah...definitely the wrong link. :laughing guy:

No really, that's not my link. :blush:

I would definitely say Counterparts. In fact, I'd say it's one of the best produced hard rock records that I own by ANY band. Perfect balance of instruments and separation to go with the stripped down arrangements. LOVE listening to that album with headphones. It's like the band is set up and playing right there in the room with you!

I wish they'd hire Kevin Shirley (or Terry Brown) to re-mix Clockwork Angels. I'd listen to that one so much more if it had the clarity and punch of CP, instead of being the brickwalled sludgy mess that it is.

• Like 2