What's the best 'sounding' Rush album? I pick 'Counterparts'

Rush Fan in Michigan

OK, I know there aren't a lot of 'Counterparts' fans in the forum. But I've been playing it a lot for this week's R40 Countdown entry, and it dawned on me that this is the best sounding Rush album.

We all know about the issues with "Vapor Trails" and I've heard beefs about "Clockwork Angels." But playing "Counterparts" this week it seems crisp. Neil's drums, from the first strikes of "Animate," seem to hit right in the chest. There's breathing room around the guitar and bass and Geddy's vocals aren't dubbed into mush. I have no trouble making out everything he sings.

I don't know if this is a mixing thing or a recording thing or an engineering thing. But it just jumps out of the speakers more so than other Rush albums. Am I alone here?

As for the actual songs. there's a lot to like here. I confess I haven't dived too deeply into it in a while. But I ended up liking it more than I remembered. Love "Cold Fire" and "Everyday Glory." I still don't know what the heck is going on in "Double Agent."

Anyway, here's our post for the week. I've got "Counterparts" at No. 8, and Will has "Hemispheres."

Rush R40 Countdown at No.8: Complicated 'Counterparts' sounds superior

Edited by Rush Fan in Michigan
  • Like 1

Agreed. Counterparts sounds great. All th instruments have space. And Geddys singing is good too. IMO sound quality went down hill after Countetparts.
  • Like 2

The song you called "Everyday People" is actually called "Everyday Glory".

Of the two, I prefer The Sly and the Family Stone song to the mediocre Rush song.

• Like 5

Counterparts is top 5 as far as good 'sounding' albums go. The Caveman really pulled it out of the boys.

BUT, the BEST 'sounding' Rush album is Permanent Waves. The perfect blend of power, clarity, tone, mixing, etc.

• Like 6

Counterparts sounds really good. I also like Signals, Hemispheres and if you go by the Sector versions, even the debut sounds really good.
  • Like 1

Best sounding album? Probably have to go with Moving Pictures, maybe Hemispheres.

I prefer Alex's guitar tone from COS through Hemispheres. We should start a thread on Alex's tone. I'd like to know what others think on that topic.

• Like 4

It's impossible to pick just one. I guess Moving Pictures or Caress of Steel or Clockwork Angels would be my choices. Counterparts sounds pretty good too.

Honestly I think they all sounded really good up through Signals. After that it was a bit hit or miss.
  • Like 3

Counterparts,Moving Pictures and ,ahem,i like the shiny panoramic sound of RTB(yes,i am ducking already,but i like RTB).As for Alex's guitar tone,GUP wins it for me because it was a turning point in his style and sound,away from the standard rock sound.Honorable mention to the debut ,it rocked.The worst VT and Presto for lack of balls.

Counterparts was a huge return to form sound-wise after the previous two albums' quietness and the 80sness of a number of other previous albums (not that that was necessarily a bad thing; it went well with the music at the time). It was about time Rush not only wrote mainly guitar driven songs that rocked hard (some of the eighties rocked hard and wasn't guitar driven, RTB was the opposite), but that they had a definite rock production as well. That said, Rush's greatest sound and production is undeniably found on PeW and MP. Those two albums are in a realm of their very own, perhaps that of the greatest produced albums of all time.

Of the two, I prefer The Sly and the Family Stone song to the mediocre Rush song.

:P

I love both songs.

Best sounding album? Probably have to go with Moving Pictures, maybe Hemispheres.

I prefer Alex's guitar tone from COS through Hemispheres. We should start a thread on Alex's tone. I'd like to know what others think on that topic.

On the subject of Alex's tone, I'd say Hemispheres, without a doubt. He achieved a tone on that album that was unlike anything he's ever done, before or since. Just outta sight!

• Like 2

Good catch. I had it right elsewhere in the post. Not sure how that snuck in! Fixed now.

But I'm unfamiliar with this concept of a mediocre Rush song. I know of some that are not quite as glorious as others...

:)

Best sounding album is pw. Agree though cp is a great sounding album, the best of the' modern albums, though the definition of modern varies.

There is an interview with Kevin 'caveman' shirley,; the guy who produced Counterparts. Kevin has a disdain for compression, stating he holds back on maiden albums, and has strong opinions on the overcompression with mastering trend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjr8Qq9laHI

Doubt that mr shirley and rush will work again though

Edited by condemned2bfree
  • Like 4

Of the later albums, CP is getting the most respect above. It could have been awesome. Too much damage done by the era that precedes it, the sophistication pretend era. Gotta find my swimmies.

Edited by Gabrielgil513