Mad Men

gudbuytjane

I literally could not search for a previous thread (the search function would not search for the terms "mad" and "men"), and a browse of previous topics didn't bring one up, so I started a Mad Men thread.

I'm just about to sit down and watch last night's episode, to start the final stretch of the series. I've been watching since the first season--in addition to being an obsessive music nerd, I'm also an obsessive retro design and fashion nerd, so the show popped up on my 60's design radar before anyone I knew was watching it--and while I feel the show has had its ups and downs, I'm still curious to see how it all wraps up. And even when I haven't been that engaged in the story they always do such an intensely good job of capturing the look of whatever time they're set in that I can get lost in the eye candy and cinematography. :)

Also, I was born in late 1969, and the show has been entering a surreal space for me where it is now set in 1969. I have early memories of the world looking like it does in the show. It's a good thing the show is ending, if it went on into the 70's I'd start having flashbacks. :D

• Like 2

I loved the show, up until about season 6, by then I was getting sick of all the infidelity and lost respect for Don Draper. That kinda killed my interest, but to be honest, I blame myself. I binged watched six seasons in an incredibly short space of time, so I very likely suffered Mad Men burnout!

I think it is a fantastic show. Silly me, I sold the box set.

• Like 1

I loved the show, up until about season 6, by then I was getting sick of all the infidelity and lost respect for Don Draper. That kinda killed my interest, but to be honest, I blame myself. I binged watched six seasons in an incredibly short space of time, so I very likely suffered Mad Men burnout!

I think it is a fantastic show. Silly me, I sold the box set.

Yeah, I can see how watching it as it was broadcast would have kept from overdoing it. I have binged shows before and lost my taste for them.

The long time hiatus between "seasons" has almost killed this show for me. I almost have no interest in the last six episodes or whatever.
  • Like 1

Loved this show early on. Last night was a train wreck. I did not think this was a well prepared show. Very slow. Lots of reflection by Don. When he got home alone, he could not deal with it. Even hitting on the message lady on the phone. Drunk Peggy was a reach too. Too much Ken as well..

In positive news Roger Sterling is now an active Civil War Reenactor. Nice 'Stache bro...

Best line all night -

$11.60 ?? How many Hash Browns did you eat?

There was a Mad Men thread here. Not sure why it wouldn't come up in a search?

Of all the shows I watch, this is the most overrated one. It's a good show but it gets too much praise. I haven't seen the new episode yet but I didn't care much for the first half of this season. I find myself not caring how it ends.

There was a Mad Men thread here. Not sure why it wouldn't come up in a search?

Of all the shows I watch, this is the most overrated one. It's a good show but it gets too much praise. I haven't seen the new episode yet but I didn't care much for the first half of this season. I find myself not caring how it ends.

Don moves to Hawaii with Rick and TC and becomes a detective

Ugh, this show is crawling to the finish line.

I see no way, it can end positively at this point.

• Like 1

1st off is anyone still watching this show head toward it's death?

WOW! Talk about a meaningless storyline x 10

Forget the Sopranos, Seinfeld or any other show, unless something amazing happens in the finale next week, this show will be the UNDISPUTED winner of worst finale.

Forget the Sopranos, Seinfeld or any other show, unless something amazing happens in the finale next week, this show will be the UNDISPUTED winner of worst finale.

Really? I think it's ending quite well. Everyone's stories are wrapping up

• Like 1

Really? I think it's ending quite well. Everyone's stories are wrapping up

Oh they are wrapping up, I just think no one has any direction.

Seems to be a reach. No SPOILERS for those behind.

Just post once you have seen it all.

Might get back into this. Shame its stumbled on its way to the finish line for so many. For the longest time it was the best thing on TV. Deserves better by the sound of it.

Might get back into this. Shame its stumbled on its way to the finish line for so many. For the longest time it was the best thing on TV. Deserves better by the sound of it.

I don't know what they're watching but I think the ending is great. They did drag out season 7 a bit but that's because the show isn't fast paced enough to split the season.

• Like 1

I don't know what they're watching but I think the ending is great. They did drag out season 7 a bit but that's because the show isn't fast paced enough to split the season.

It was the slow pace that initially hooked me. Will try! I burned out quickly as I binged watched and gradually came to despise nearly every character.

I have to say that I binge watched the first four seasons, but then Breaking Bad got me hooked. When I got back to Mad Men I had to switch my mind once again to the different pace. Even my wife said "after so much Breaking Bad I was expecting someone getting killed, or a drug bust, but instead it´s only people in vintage clothes smoking inside elevators...".

I am now missing episodes 13 and 14...can´t wait for the end!

• Like 1

I'm not much of a drinker but tonight I am going to raise a glass of The Macallan while watching the final episode. And then a glass or two more to drown my sorrows. :macallan: :cosmo: :macallan: Farewell Don Draper and Mad Men!
  • Like 2

I saw the last two episodes last night...VERY slow and boring. All characters had a proper ending, but I didn't have a proper sense of closure. It's a shame that such a consistent series had to end in such a drag. Edited by Rod in Rio
  • Like 1

I saw the last two episodes last night...VERY slow and boring. All characters had a proper ending, but I didn't have a proper sense of closure. It's a shame that such a consistent series had to end in such a drag.

Agreed. It really struggled through the last half of the season, and that finale was underwhelming. A lot of the stories seemed rushed, and they introduced characters only to have them disappear again (what was with that photographer character Mimi Rogers played a few episodes ago?). I don't want to say anything else in case I spoil it for folks (wish we had spoiler tags here :) ), but yeah, there were so many moments I was like huh? Or just bored and having to constantly force myself to pay attention.

With all that sais, Peggy's finale was rather cute, and it was the single moment I called my wife to see. She grew out of the show by Season 6, but got to see bits and pieces of Season 7.

I lost enjoyment around the time Don's first wife (name forgotten) started to be sidelined (I loved her, and hoped she'd get more focus), only for him to mistreat his second wife (who I actually found to be incredibly beautiful and a wonderful character).

Not sure I could get into this again, it isn't the sexism I dislike (part of that era, and the women are brilliant and the men very much men), I just found myself liking every character less and less.

Might give it a go, just to see where Peggy and a couple of others ends up.