The 2015 Chicago Cubs thread...

Opening Day is here. Kris Bryant will be up soon and a lot of the other kids that give Cub fans hope are ready to start the season. I'm not thinking this is the year, but it should be a year of development and improvement. That's really the main thing I'm looking for...

Go Cubbies!!!

Other teams had best beware! The new and improved Cubs have them in their sights!

mitchwilliams.jpg

Phormer Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Mitch Williams has sued MLB Network and a sports website owner, alleging he was fired from a broadcaster's job over false claims about his behavior at a youth baseball game.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2014/09/25/wild-thing-mlb-network-mitch-williams/16235137/

As part of his punishment, he was sentenced to have to broadcast all 162 Phillies games this year. I guess they want to keep him as far away as possible from "youth baseball".

• Like 3

Other teams had best beware! The new and improved Cubs have them in their sights!

mitchwilliams.jpg

Phormer Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Mitch Williams has sued MLB Network and a sports website owner, alleging he was fired from a broadcaster's job over false claims about his behavior at a youth baseball game.

http://www.usatoday....liams/16235137/

As part of his punishment, he was sentenced to have to broadcast all 162 Phillies games this year. I guess they want to keep him as far away as possible from "youth baseball".

:LOL:

Even at this stage of his life, he's better than half our players! And younger too! :facepalm:

• Like 1

Opening Day is here. Kris Bryant will be up soon and a lot of the other kids that give Cub fans hope are ready to start the season. I'm not thinking this is the year, but it should be a year of development and improvement. That's really the main thing I'm looking for...

Go Cubbies!!!

Soler is gonna be sick this year. Bryant will be good- hes gonna strike out a lot but definitely drop some bombs. I will be interested if Baez figures his stuff out this year in the minors

Go Cubbies!!!

Soler is gonna be sick this year. Bryant will be good- hes gonna strike out a lot but definitely drop some bombs. I will be interested if Baez figures his stuff out this year in the minors

I just hope the guy (Soler) can stay healthy. I think Bryant's trip to the minors is necessary (give him two weeks to work out his obvious issues).

Baez may need his own Larry Sherry to become a better hitter...I wonder if he'd just slow things down and use 95% of the energy with better bat control (ala the advice given to Sandy Koufax, and also by Nolan Ryan to the Big Unit) if that would be enough. You don't get extra runs if the ball goes 500' instead of 425'.

Fall Out Boy with the pre game entertainment, singing about the 1908 World Series trophy...

You will remember me, remember me For centuries

I knew we wouldn't be able to trust anyone we got from the frigging Red Sox.

Play that the announcers invariably love and it's not the worst outcome with two strikes and a strikeout prone hitter, but it reduces the run potential of the inning there.

2-2. First three homers of the year last night.

Brew Crew and the Buccos off to slow starts, Reds at 4-1.

I think you have healthy expectations for your team this year..... improvement with an eye on playing meaningful games in September and movement toward contending for the division in 2016 and the pennant/title in 2017.

Unfortunately, many in the media and the "Old Style" fans (you know who I am talking about), seem to have the Northsiders winning the World Series.

If we use the first week to assess the season, the Colorado Rockies are apparently going to run away with the NL West and the Reds are going to take the NL Central. So that is not always a wise thing to do. Alas, all that said, I do think a 2-2 start for the first week is a good sign for Chicago. They weathered the season opening hype and split 2 with their arch rivals. Big picture, I think the Cubs win 83 to 85 games this year. That's going to be enough to keep them in the Wild Card hunt (possibly even get one of the two play-ins) and definitely give them the right kind of momentum.

I am also a big believer in the impact of symbolism on a team psyche. Although some Cub fans and baseball purists are lamenting the changes to Wrigley, I think there there is a clear message in the remodel that will pay dividends on the field (and, well, okay, for the owners too).

I think you have healthy expectations for your team this year..... improvement with an eye on playing meaningful games in September and movement toward contending for the division in 2016 and the pennant/title in 2017.

Unfortunately, many in the media and the "Old Style" fans (you know who I am talking about), seem to have the Northsiders winning the World Series.

If we use the first week to assess the season, the Colorado Rockies are apparently going to run away with the NL West and the Reds are going to take the NL Central. So that is not always a wise thing to do. Alas, all that said, I do think a 2-2 start for the first week is a good sign for Chicago. They weathered the season opening hype and split 2 with their arch rivals. Big picture, I think the Cubs win 83 to 85 games this year. That's going to be enough to keep them in the Wild Card hunt (possibly even get one of the two play-ins) and definitely give them the right kind of momentum.

I am also a big believer in the impact of symbolism on a team psyche. Although some Cub fans and baseball purists are lamenting the changes to Wrigley, I think there there is a clear message in the remodel that will pay dividends on the field (and, well, okay, for the owners too).

DJ LeMahieu won't hit .500, but I think .450 is doable.

One bad thing about being a longtime (since 1969) Cub fan is all the bandwagoners that jump on any time things go well. It's almost as bad as Yankee fans (other than those with deep tans, thick accents, and double digit IQs, those are the diehards) and pink hatted Red Sox fans.

• Like 1

I knew we wouldn't be able to trust anyone we got from the frigging Red Sox.

Do you mean Theo?

Lester.