An apology to all members of TRF concerning NEP.

Aikenrooster

He could tell you were crazy!!!

HAHAHA! I wasn't crazy until he shut the bus door! I raised my hands into the air and gave him two devil horns! Yeah I'm an idiot but the "adrenaline surge" was shooting through my quivering body.

Damn! I just wanted him to know that I was a "fuckking drummer." Drummers are crazy anyway! LOL

Maybe he just thought you were signalling "Hook 'em Horns" and he's an A&M or Oklahoma fan? :huh: Nah, probably not.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Does it really matter if Neil is a jerk or not? In the not too distant future in won't matter one whit.

It doesn't matter now. Albert Belle (former MLB player) was my favorite player when he was with the Indians, and he really did have sociopathic tendencies. But, he was a sociopath who could hit 50 home runs and 50 doubles in a strike shortened season of 144 games, so I loved him. Likewise, I just need Neil to be a third of Rush. While I think he's a prick I also think what I think on the matter is irrelevant. It's just a discussion.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Yep, he's a middle of the road writer in the context of his books, but I enjoy most of what he has written. I also put this particular book in the context of his time and place. All the money in the world can't help you shake anger and depression. Sure, he had the resources to take a different physical path through his cycle of response and the stages of grief, but the emotional and psychological triggers and mechanisms were the same as they would be for any person because, well, he's human.

And, wow, hey, he made some off-putting, poor taste comments about people. That's down right...

typical.

In other words, he did exactly what every person on this planet has done in a period of anger, sadness, or weakness (if anyone reading this dares to suggest *they* have not said, written, or done something in anger, sadness, or weakness they knew was wrong and immature, I will flat out call them a liar... and a hypocrite... and a hypocritical liar).

So, yeah, he wrote some tacky things. Pardon my french, but big f***ing deal. We have *all* written some tacky things, nearly all of us (myself included... just did in this paragraph, in fact) in this forum.

Everyone repeat after me.... Neil is not our friend. Neil owes us nothing. Neil should not be held to extraordinary standards because he is rich or famous. Neil should especially not be held to extraordinary standards because we are really, really, REALLY big fans of his music. Neil is, though, human and capable of making mistakes and even regretting those mistakes.

His only real mistake in this book, though, was taking what should have been left a personal journal and publishing it. That was indeed dumb. I suspect he published it thinking it was his way of trying to connect with fans, knowing that he doesn't connect well through other means. But the fact of the matter is this book was too raw, too personal, and too close to some very ugly, but equally real, aspects of the human psyche following tragedy and grief to be significantly helpful.

How about everyone get off their high horse regarding Neil and, rather than judging him, ask themselves why they find it so necessary to judge him?

I agree that Neil owes us nothing. I don't care in the slightest about meeting him, and would thank him for his work and quickly move on if I did, and would leave him alone if his body language suggested that was his preference.

It does disturb me that he's judgmental and negative about people he's never met , this is admittedly based on the descriptions contained above. If those are not accurate or if he no longer holds those views, realizing that the book was written at a time of great distress, then I would change my opinion. But if the observations still hold, it doesn't speak very well of him as a person; if that's judgmental, so be it, and if I don't live up to the standards of perfection, that doesn't obviate the observation in any sense.

Late to the conversation, as always. But these things aren't some spur of the moment, blurted out statement made in anger that he didn't really mean. You know, bad things come out when you're mad. This is a book he wrote. Thought out and reasoned. He had time to reflect and say it how he really meant it.

• Like 2

Does it really matter if Neil is a jerk or not? In the not too distant future in won't matter one whit.

In that case you need to be under house arrest.

Good comeback. Now that was funny. :LOL:

• Like 1

In that case you need to be under house arrest.

Good comeback. Now that was funny. :LOL:

TonyR is welcome in Goatnut any time...dude is off the chains hilarious

He could tell you were crazy!!!

HAHAHA! I wasn't crazy until he shut the bus door! I raised my hands into the air and gave him two devil horns! Yeah I'm an idiot but the "adrenaline surge" was shooting through my quivering body.

Damn! I just wanted him to know that I was a "fuckking drummer." Drummers are crazy anyway! LOL

Maybe he just thought you were signalling "Hook 'em Horns" and he's an A&M or Oklahoma fan? :huh: Nah, probably not.

HAHAHA! GO LONGHORNS! LOL!

Another thing I think is missed here is how Neil will often refer to a previous lyric which comes as as thought through his daily consciousness. I know me an other serious Rush fans have done the same in our own personal lives.

But the book also shows great insight into how his daily life translates into lyrics and Vapor Trails is exactly that starting with providing insight to the lyrics behind the title track, which to many Rush fans, make them all the more amazing.

To try to paint Neil as some privileged bigoted asshole by twisting a few remarks out of context and time, misses the mark very badly.

To see where he derived the idea being using Tarot cards, a constant theme in his lyrics, fortune and fate, was insightful and entertaining.

From " One Little Victory" to the moral (if there was one), perhaps his evolution is a better word, to Out of the Cradle", Neil's personal journey transpired into fantastic lyrics. Context makes them even better, just as context behind any art surely does.

Edited by Running Rebel
  • Like 1

Another thing I think is missed here is how Neil will often refer to a previous lyric which comes as as thought through his daily consciousness. I know me an other serious Rush fans have done the same in our own personal lives.

But the book also shows great insight into how his daily life translates into lyrics and Vapor Trails is exactly that starting with providing insight to the lyrics behind the title track, which to many Rush fans, make them all the more amazing.

To try to paint Neil as some privileged bigoted asshole by twisting a few remarks out of context and time, misses the mark very badly.

To see where he derived the idea being using Tarot cards, a constant theme in his lyrics, fortune and fate, was insightful and entertaining.

From " One Little Victory" to the moral (if there was one), perhaps his evolution is a better word, to Out of the Cradle", Neil's personal journey transpired into fantastic lyrics. Context makes them even better, just as context behind any art surely does.

Well said.

Hey Rebel. You're from my old stomping grounds. Just moved last year from Middletown. I know Miamisburg well. :)

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Put yourself in a celebrities shoes.

Do you like being stopped and interrupted while out in public?

Do you like people taking pictures of your family, because YOU are famous?

Do you owe people something simply because, they like your occupation?

That's your answer.

I doubt I'd like it, but I hope I'd handle it with an awareness that I mean something special to my fans. Without them, I'd still be working in the farm equipment store.

I doubt I'd like it and I would do what I could to shelter my family from the attention of my fans. I doubt anyone begrudges Neil if he wants to do the same.

I owe the people who pay my salary quite a bit, actually.

• Like 4

I doubt I'd like it, but I hope I'd handle it with an awareness that I mean something special to my fans. Without them, I'd still be working in the farm equipment store.

I doubt I'd like it and I would do what I could to shelter my family from the attention of my fans. I doubt anyone begrudges Neil if he wants to do the same.

No one likes being interrupted eating, shopping.

It depends on the individual, but most of us if we were famous would be defensive.

I see both sides of it. And met both kinds.

Wayne Gretzky nicest guy ever. Met in a hotel lobby. Jason Garrett met at DFW, nice guy, . They both HAD time to say hi.

I would completely understand if they were like, 'Dude have to catch a cab'. I've done that to my OWN family.

That plane waits for NO ONE..LOL

And there are a kajillion jobs out there that don't put you much at risk of being interrupted. Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation.

• Like 1

And there are a kajillion jobs out there that don't put you much at risk of being interrupted. Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation.

Oddly enough the biggest douche I ever met was Bryan Adams.

That's right 'Summer of 69' , even refused to sign some kids picture. She was like 10 years old.

However this was not at the height of his popularity, this was like Mid 90's ish...

And they say all Canadians are nice..HA

Well said.

Hey Rebel. You're from my old stomping grounds. Just moved last year from Middletown. I know Miamisburg well. :)

Did you dream there? :)

Well said.

Did you dream there? :)

I got out, didn't I? :LOL:

Photographic evidence of Neil meeting his fans!

http://cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/concerts/rush-stlouis-04.13.1975/15.jpg

• Like 3