Favorite Music box sets

softfilter

Of course as always I apologize if this has been done before.

Mine are as follows in no particular order:

The Byrds

Shine on-PINK FLOYD ( Glad to get this for a Christmas gift ,a little steep $$$)

TRACKS- Bruce Springsteen

SEX,AMERICA,- Cheap Trick (There f*cking cool !)

Years-YES

In a word-YES (Like slightly better then years more variety)

KISS unsure.gif In deed I do like this one but never opened disc 4 and 5 (83-99)

And in a different vein:

Songs of Freedom-Bob Marley cool10.gif

The Real Music Box (25 years of Rounder Records) Everything from blues,bluegrass

cajun and folk on it.

Thats it ,my wife gave me a heart attack when she told me there was a RUSH box set out . Should of known better, went to local music store.Threeother people beside me over heard me asking about it ,got falsely excited about it . drool1.gif RUSH HAS A BOX SET! Not true... sad.gif Bummer.

If there was a Rush boxset out, it would have to have added material or I wouldn't buy it. As for me, I only have a couple boxsets:

Emerson, Lake, & Palmer - Return of the Manticore

This one has all the highlights from all the ELP albums, plus some live stuff, and new recordings that, amazingly, don't suck at all, which is unusual for new recordings on a hits compilation.

Nirvana - With the Lights Out

TONS of unreleased material on here...if you're a Nirvana fan, you need this.

I dont think I have enough box sets to claim a favorite, but I do have a few and will name them.

Jethro Tull - 20 Years of Jethro Tull

Incredible box set with loads of unreleased material. There are a lot of interesting songs that in thier own right should have found thier way onto a studio album, but somehow didnt seem to make it on. Also has a cd of live songs, only further prooving how dynamic this band is live.

Simon & Garfunkel - The Columbia Studio Recordings (1964-1970)

Much easier and cheaper then buying all 6 studio albums they put out in that time frame. This box set is essentially every album they've done.

The Smashing Pumpkins - The Aeroplane Flies High

Nice box set that most of the unreleased tracks that were scrapped from the Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness cd. The box set is basically all the singles that were released for the album with a nifty little box to hold them in and a booklet with the lyrics to each song.

Nirvana - With The Lights Out

As PK said, much unreleased material. It never struck me before how much of a punk band Nirvana was in thier earlier days, and this box set really showcases it. A lot of low quality but rare recordings on this, as well as a nice DVD (which I have yet to watch) of some live performances.

The Who - 30 Years of Maximum R&B

Of the few I have, this is probably a favorite. A few unreleased studio tracks, and a number of reworked or rehersal songs of studio tracks. Covers unreleased material from My Generation to It's Hard.

QUOTE (MrMiltonBanana @ Aug 11 2005, 04:06 PM)
Pink Floyd Shine On (Christmas Present. The sad thing was that I had all the albums already, I mainly wanted the singles disc.)

and now they sell the singles disc on it's own - that's how i own it! glad to find another big pink floyd/syd barrett fan out there wink.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Aug 11 2005, 01:07 PM)

This one has all the highlights from all the ELP albums, plus some live stuff, and new recordings that, amazingly, don't suck at all, which is unusual for new recordings on a hits compilation.

This is the favourite box set that I own. icon_alienjig.gif

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Aug 11 2005, 05:06 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Aug 11 2005, 01:07 PM)

This is the favourite box set that I own. icon_alienjig.gif

I've got a double cd of ELP called "The Atlantic Years" which is about as much ELP as I can take in one sitting. Great and highly talented group, but usually a little too over the top for me to want to listen to that often...

Out of sight,Out of mind forgot my fav vinyl box sets....

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band Live/1975-85

biograph- Bob Dylan (Like to get this on cd if I can find it.)

And Classical stuff...

St.Johns Passion and other works by J.S. Bach

Works of W.A. Mozart

Both Smithsonian collections.

Jethro Tull: 20 Year Anniversary Box Set

(the 30 Year Box Set wasn't as good IMHO)

It's a real shame that this set is out of print, although some of the tracks included in it are being released on the remastered albums.

The Who: 30 Years of Maximum R&B

An excellent overview of The Who.

In no order:

Genesis Archives 1 and 2(both boxed sets have either unreleased live material or B-sides or unreleased studio outtakes and Genesis used most of them save a couple)

ELP Return of the Manticore(awesome set, shame that it is out of print)

Pink Floyd Shine On(excellent way to start one into PF yet it is now OOP)

The Who 30 Years of Maximum R&B(The Who's history on 4 CDs with some unreleased pieces)

Iron Maiden Eddie's Archive(4 discs of unreleased live material and 2 discs of B-sides)

Queen The Crown Jewels(superb way to get Queen's first 8 classic studio efforts in one go)

Genesis Archive 1 - Archive 2 is very dissapointing

Aerosmith - Pandora's Box

Johnyy Cash - Unearthed

Yes - Yesyears & In A Word(for the track Richard alone)

Pink Floyd - Shine On

King Crimson - 69 -74 & 81 -2003 (I've forgotten the name of the 2 sets and I'm at work)

Yes

Eric Clapton

Crosby, Stills, and Nash

Archived