Triumph Thread

Bigbobby10

Great band- I never compared them to Rush personally.

Just a straight ahead Canadian Rock band.

A Bar band really.

Should have been HUUUGGEE

Very underrated. Think the power struggle between Gil and Rik was always a giant waste of energy by both.

• Like 4

I haven't paid attention to Triumph in decades, perhaps they have a Greatest Hits CD I should buy? They seem to be more like '74-81 Rush then anything later, right?
  • Like 1

I haven't paid attention to Triumph in decades, perhaps they have a Greatest Hits CD I should buy? They seem to be more like '74-81 Rush then anything later, right?

If you want to start, go with allied forces. And you are about right on what you said, they use keyboards, but they are hard rocking

• Like 5

If you want to start, go with allied forces. And you are about right on what you said, they use keyboards, but they are hard rocking

Allied Forces is an absolutely phenomenal album.

• Like 6

Triumph rocks! Rik Emmett is a prof at Humber College these days. One of my son's friends had him as a teacher last year.

My date has great taste... :cheers: :rose:

That or Thunder Seven,

Thats my favorite by them. Great band. Saw them up here back in the early 80's. Loudest concert I have ever attended. I need to dig out my copy of Rik Emmett's and Mike Lavine's autographs and post it. There was an earthquake the day of the concert. That set the tone for the concert. :haz: :D

• Like 4

I thought they were great back when they were popular. It was hard not to compare them to Rush back in the day. Just about every news article you read about them mentioned something about it.
  • Like 1

I got turned on to Triumph by a guy at a video store back in 1986. I was renting the VHS video of Yessongs, and we talked a little. He told me that if I liked Yes and Rush, I would love Triumph.

So I got their live album "Stages" and fell in love right away. Being a 16 year old guitar player, I immediately fell in love with Rik Emmet. I especially loved the all acoustic version of Hold On, and Midsummer's Day Dream, and of course his monstrous solo on Rock-n-roll Machine.

To compound my love, there was a tablature book that was for Stages, and I bought it and learned so much from it. Not just how to play those songs, but what I learned about guitar playing from those sobs. It was as valuable to me as the Rush Complete Vol.I book was.

I soon got Thunder Seven, It's Just a Game, Allied Forces, and Never Surrender.

Sport of Kings disappointed me, and I stopped following after that.

But I will always love those early albums.

Edited by Dr. Sheldon Cooper
  • Like 5

I got turned on to Triumph by a guy at a video store back in 1986. I was renting the VHS video of Yessongs, and we talked a little. He told me that if I liked Yes and Rush, I would love Triumph.

So I got their live album "Stages" and fell in love right away. Being a 16 year old guitar player, I immediately fell in love with Rik Emmet. I especially loved the all acoustic version of Hold On, and Midsummer's Day Dream, and of course his monstrous solo on Rock-n-roll Machine.

To compound my love, there was a tablature book that was our for Stages, and I bought it and learned so much from it. Not just how to play those songs, but what I learned about guitar playing from those sobs. It was as valuable to me as the Rush Complete Vol.I book was.

Sport of Kings was a little disappointment to me also, but the album after that Surveillance is a really good album

Stages is amazing, especially the guitar solo on Rock and Roll Machine

• Like 1

Triumph fan here too. That recent best-of that packaged a DVD of videos is a good start.

There was a mini-doco on the live DVD from the Sport Of Kings tour that has some unintentionally hilarious Spinal Tap moments.

Being an AOR fan, I enjoyed Kings, but Allied Forces is awesome.

• Like 2

To compound my love, there was a tablature book that was our for Stages, and I bought it and learned so much from it. Not just how to play those songs, but what I learned about guitar playing from those sobs. It was as valuable to me as the Rush Complete Vol.I book was.

Sport of Kings was a little disappointment to me also, but the album after that Surveillance is a really good album

Stages is amazing, especially the guitar solo on Rock and Roll Machine

After I sent my post, I thought that there hand been another album after Kings, but just couldn't remember it.

But that album was Surveillance! It had an Eagle on the cover. I bought it, and I liked that they had gotten back to what they were before, but my tastes had changed by then. I really need to revisit that album.

Thanks for reminding me!

• Like 1