Your least favorite song lyrics Neil have ever written?

YYZumbi

When I think about it, some of Geddy's lyrics on MFH are better than those on CA. :yes:

I'm not saying those are great lyrics on MFH but some are more digestible. :yes:

It doesn't feel like he's cramming the vocals INTO the song like some of them on CA. :no:

I guess it DOES make a difference when the one writing the lyrics is the one who´s actually going to sing them, right?

Yeah. And actually I think Ben Mink mentions that in the MFH documentary. I can't truly remember as it's been so long since I've seen it. Since Geddy wrote everything (with some input/assistance from Mink?), it'd make sense that none of the vocals or lyrics seemed shoved into the melodies. Regardless of whether the MFH tunes were good or great or not, everything seemed like it matched or flowed.

I only liked one or two songs from MFH when it came out, but I recently "clicked" with the album, and love it now. I didn´t know there´s a documentary about it...where can I find it?

When I think about it, some of Geddy's lyrics on MFH are better than those on CA. :yes:

I'm not saying those are great lyrics on MFH but some are more digestible. :yes:

It doesn't feel like he's cramming the vocals INTO the song like some of them on CA. :no:

I guess it DOES make a difference when the one writing the lyrics is the one who´s actually going to sing them, right?

Yeah. And actually I think Ben Mink mentions that in the MFH documentary. I can't truly remember as it's been so long since I've seen it. Since Geddy wrote everything (with some input/assistance from Mink?), it'd make sense that none of the vocals or lyrics seemed shoved into the melodies. Regardless of whether the MFH tunes were good or great or not, everything seemed like it matched or flowed.

I only liked one or two songs from MFH when it came out, but I recently "clicked" with the album, and love it now. I didn´t know there´s a documentary about it...where can I find it?

It's short and the film quality is pretty crap (you can probably find a better quality one relatively easily). But it's the same one that I saw over a decade ago.

:blaze:

• Like 1

"For you and me, sex is not a competition...sex is not a job-description." !!!

"I see the middle kingdom between Heaven and Earth, like the Chinese call the country of their birth." ???

"A gleaming alloy air-car shoots towards me two lanes wide." ?!?

There are probably more, but those 3 leap to mind.

"I see the middle kingdom between Heaven and Earth, like the Chinese call the country of their birth." ???

Look up "Middle Kingdom" and read for a mere 5 minutes. Your questions will be answered

ha ha. no I'm aware of the old name for China, I just find that opening line to be awkward. Painfully awkward!

Maybe he'll write an ode to Funan someday...Egypt also had a "middle kingdom", interestingly enough.

thanks Mr. Blaze!

• Like 1

It's short and the film quality is pretty crap (you can probably find a better quality one relatively easily). But it's the same one that I saw over a decade ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruQCYerg2E4&sns=em

that was cool. thanks for sharing :)

• Like 1

And I even like that song! But that line is unforgivable. Bleh.

"It is what it is, and forever..." isn't much better.

Or...

A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage

Talk about a clunky lyric.

It's not a clunky lyric to me. That line has always spoken loud to me, but maybe that's because in my life I did something that has caused that missing part of me to grow around me like a cage.

Edit: :oops: Sorry. This is a lyric bitchin' thread. I'll be back. That's 95% of what Neil has written. ;)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

The one that goes...

Lorraine is a Pygmy Hippy, she lives like a gypsy, she sings like a toilet drain, when she hits the loo she feels an intestinal pain

That's nothing compared to the verse that follows:

Her loss is a gain

for Treeduck's disdain

when he rips the heavy metal

from the palace of the queen

and creates an artitistic scene

for himself and Mr. Clean

The one that goes...

Lorraine is a Pygmy Hippy, she lives like a gypsy, she sings like a toilet drain, when she hits the loo she feels an intestinal pain

Her loss is a gain

for Treeduck's disdain

Americans think every British person has some kind of hotline to the Queen just because we're British. :16ton: That's like me saying Lorraine and the President are getting engaged Michelle is enraged every time I post something! :smoke:

The one that goes...

Her loss is a gain

for Treeduck's disdain

Americans think every British person has some kind of hotline to the Queen just because we're British. :16ton: That's like me saying Lorraine and the President are getting engaged Michelle is enraged every time I post something! :smoke:

Who blabbed that to you? It was supposed to be kept a secret.

Barry and Lorraine all the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

The one that goes...

Her loss is a gain

for Treeduck's disdain

People out here think I'm really interested in the Royal Family because I speak English. I shit you not.

The one that goes...

Her loss is a gain

for Treeduck's disdain

People out here think I'm really interested in the Royal Family because I speak English. I shit you not.

People are crazy!

The one that goes...

Her loss is a gain

for Treeduck's disdain

I say, Johnnie, you really are a cut up! [<-------------Said with British accent. :))

Edited by Lorraine

The one that goes...

Her loss is a gain

for Treeduck's disdain

People are crazy!

:cool:

The one that goes...

Her loss is a gain

for Treeduck's disdain

I say, Johnnie, you really are a cut up! [<-------------Said with British accent. :))

:cheers: .....but I was totally serious. I've experienced that more than a few times. It's not like I'd be surprised if a Korean dude isn't interested in the Emperor of Japan! :LOL:

Here you go, a few years ago...

After a J-co-worker of mine was surprised when I told her that I didn't follow the British Royal family, I added, "I'm probably about as interested in Queen Elizabeth as you are in the King of Bhutan." That confused the crap out of her. She gave that confused dog look with the tilted head and everything.

• Like 2

I foolishly tried listening to Good News First last night. Not only is the lyric atrocious but so is Geddys yodeling.

"..it couldve been wooOORRSSSe..."

Gag.

I love the show where they solve all the murders!

;)

Wait...wrong song. Still love the show, though.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

I foolishly tried listening to Good News First last night. Not only is the lyric atrocious but so is Geddys yodeling.

"..it couldve been wooOORRSSSe..."

Gag.

I love the show where they solve all the murders!

;)

Wait...wrong song. Still love the show, though.

That song eats a big one too. lol

Hard to believe an old school hardcore fan like Nick R sat there during those sessions enthusiastically nodding his head and giving thumbs up while they recorded those garbage songs "Yes! Yes! Perfect! Sounds awesome! That's a great take!"

I wouldve been in the control room with my face in my hands :facepalm: wondering what happened to these guys, they wrote the 2112 Overture for God's sake.... :o

Dog Years

So funny.....I love those lyrics. A fun song. he has written far worse.

Virtuality.....blech.

• Like 1