Top Ten Most Overrated Rush Songs

Segue Myles

01. La Villa Strangiato is ridiculously praised and respected not just on this board, but in hardcore muso ranks. Yes, I get it, it is musically brilliant. It is amazingly technical playing and has all sorts of crazy time signatures. YAWN! It is a very well played instrumental with some interesting bits that goes on for too long. It isn't the be-all-end-all of music and it certainly isn't RUSH at their best.

And it's largely plagiarized.

:ph34r:

Stilla great listen, though.

I would love to know what you think Stangiato has plagiarised because I don't know of anything. Thing is that every great band has been influenced that something that has gone before. There is a fine line between "influence" and straight forward rip off. Oasis ripped off everything, Noel was clever enough to just take little snippets from songs to avoid court cases. We are not reinventing the wheel here dude.

This song was great and took Beatles influence. It was produced in the same way vocal wise in the mix. Yes the Chorus is very like "Hello Goodbye"

So what!!!!!!

George Harrison had a court case about "My Sweet Lord" was ripped off from "He's so fine" by The Chiffons.

It is two f***ing chords for Christ sake!!!!!!!!!!!!! A minor 7 to D major. You cant bloody copy write that!!!

I am waiting to hear what La Villa has ripped off

Thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaC0vNLdLvY

Go to 1:20 for the note-for-note lifting.

Rush didn't give credit to Scott for their use of "Powerhouse" either. By the time Raymond Scott's publisher notified the band's management of the infringement, the statute of limitations had expired on the challenge. But Rush's management, out of deference to Mr. and Mrs. Scott (Raymond was still alive at that point), and being the class act that they are, offered a one-time "penance" payment, feeling it was the ethical thing to do. All involved were happy with the resolution, and Rush has no further financial obligations. Under the settlement, they were not required to accord Raymond Scott partial songwriting credit on the piece.

http://www.songfacts...ail.php?id=2324

Ok I get you, guilty as charged

But it is only one riff and section of a song. Neil is a huge Jazz fan so I guess he lifted this

Fair enough, I stand corrected. But surely it is a tribute to Neil's influences??? Ha ha

Thanks

Steve :P

Weird thing: jazz guys never really talk about R Scott because his music was pretty much totally composed: no improvisation, therefore not jazz!

"Powerhouse" was popular in old cartoons, which is where Geddy or Alex probably ran across it.

Fun fact #2: Raymond Scott was also the father of ambient music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l17kn0WpD2s

What you say about old cartoons makes a lot of sense

http://www.raymondsc...et/film/videos/

This page has a montage of cartoons featuring Scott's music.

When I played that clip of "Powerhouse", I feel like I have been hearing it my whole life with cartoons! Very enlightening. Until today, I had no idea Raymond Scott existed.

RIGHT! I always thought this was something Carl Stalling wrote for WB cartoons. Had no idea it was Scott.

• Like 1

01. La Villa Strangiato is ridiculously praised and respected not just on this board, but in hardcore muso ranks. Yes, I get it, it is musically brilliant. It is amazingly technical playing and has all sorts of crazy time signatures. YAWN! It is a very well played instrumental with some interesting bits that goes on for too long. It isn't the be-all-end-all of music and it certainly isn't RUSH at their best.

LARGELY??

How about one little itty bit plagiarized?

Grand Designs

One Little Victory

Between The Wheels

Ghost Of A Chance

The Camera Eye

The Big Money

Middletown Dreams

Test For Echo

Caravan

A Farewell To Kings

Thought that this could be a thread to spark fires, as well as discussion!

All you want to do is see grown men fight!

Fraroc vs. Zumbi?

...you can't deny that could be interesting haha!

Fraroc vs. Zumbi?

Naa I think they'd push each other a bit and say: "Go on then start", "No you start!", "You start!", "No you start!", "Are you gonna start?", "You start!"...

Fraroc vs. Zumbi?

Naa I think they'd push each other a bit and say: "Go on then start", "No you start!", "You start!", "No you start!", "Are you gonna start?", "You start!"...

Oh my days ok I take it back lol

I wanna see..............................................Verena......aaaaaand.................................................................................Babycat fight. Tried to think of two of the nicest people here.

I wanna see..............................................Verena......aaaaaand.................................................................................Babycat fight. Tried to think of two of the nicest people here.

Awwwwwww! There'd be kissing and hugging and tears and I'd bake them cupcakes and then we'd all fall asleep listening to Mantovani

• Like 1

Tony R and Savagegrace26 (think that was his name) would be a proper fight.

Tony R would win.

• Like 1

He would. He probably wouldn't even need his fists, he'd just use a brutal word combination

No he'd punch his face in

Fraroc vs. Zumbi?

Oh my days ok I take it back lol

tumblr_oil21cjvo81sslvquo1_500.gif

Fraroc vs. Zumbi?

tumblr_inline_nv5mh3jWOn1s8ltii_500.gif

Whole Clockwork Angels album.

Seriously??!!!

Too many decent to great songs to be dismissing that album. I'm sure he owns a vinyl copy anyway.

Ok looney toons, here is the REAL list:

The Necromancer

The fountain of lambneth

Xanadu

The camera eye

The weapon

Kid gloves

Stick it out

One little victory

Working them angels

Seven cities of gold

I am not saying any of these songs are bad, just generally not worthy of the praise they receive. IMO ✌️

Over rated doesn't have to mean bad, it could simply mean "not worth all the praise it gets comparatively."

True like Huckleberry Finn.

I would love to know what you think Stangiato has plagiarised because I don't know of anything. Thing is that every great band has been influenced that something that has gone before. There is a fine line between "influence" and straight forward rip off. Oasis ripped off everything, Noel was clever enough to just take little snippets from songs to avoid court cases. We are not reinventing the wheel here dude.

This song was great and took Beatles influence. It was produced in the same way vocal wise in the mix. Yes the Chorus is very like "Hello Goodbye"

So what!!!!!!

George Harrison had a court case about "My Sweet Lord" was ripped off from "He's so fine" by The Chiffons.

It is two f***ing chords for Christ sake!!!!!!!!!!!!! A minor 7 to D major. You cant bloody copy write that!!!

I am waiting to hear what La Villa has ripped off

Thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaC0vNLdLvY

Go to 1:20 for the note-for-note lifting.

Rush didn't give credit to Scott for their use of "Powerhouse" either. By the time Raymond Scott's publisher notified the band's management of the infringement, the statute of limitations had expired on the challenge. But Rush's management, out of deference to Mr. and Mrs. Scott (Raymond was still alive at that point), and being the class act that they are, offered a one-time "penance" payment, feeling it was the ethical thing to do. All involved were happy with the resolution, and Rush has no further financial obligations. Under the settlement, they were not required to accord Raymond Scott partial songwriting credit on the piece.

http://www.songfacts...ail.php?id=2324

Ok I get you, guilty as charged

But it is only one riff and section of a song. Neil is a huge Jazz fan so I guess he lifted this

Fair enough, I stand corrected. But surely it is a tribute to Neil's influences??? Ha ha

Thanks

Steve :P

Weird thing: jazz guys never really talk about R Scott because his music was pretty much totally composed: no improvisation, therefore not jazz!

"Powerhouse" was popular in old cartoons, which is where Geddy or Alex probably ran across it.

The story is that Alex grew up hearing it, always had it rattling around in his head, and lifted it subconsciously.

I remember a quote of one of them saying something like," we didn't know, we just thought it was cartoon music"

• Like 1