Peaceable Kingdom: Lyrics Line by Line

JohnRogers

I did a search but couldn't find a thread. Has there ever been a line by line breakdown or analysis of Peaceable Kingdom? This may be a “duh” moment but I thought Peaceable Kingdom was aboot the events of 9-11-2001. So I’ll post a line of lyric starting from the top and give my take, you give yours. Maybe you think its aboot something entirely different, no wrong answers. We do this till the end. Then we all have coffee somewhere.

Okay first line short and simple.

1. A wave toward the clearing the sky

Just a simple statement on how the morning of Sept 11th started as a beautiful clear sunny morning.

I did a search but couldn't find a thread. Has there ever been a line by line breakdown or analysis of Peaceable Kingdom? This may be a “duh” moment but I thought Peaceable Kingdom was aboot the events of 9-11-2001. So I’ll post a line of lyric starting from the top and give my take, you give yours. Maybe you think its aboot something entirely different, no wrong answers. We do this till the end. Then we all have coffee somewhere.

Okay first line short and simple.

1. A wave toward the clearing the sky

Just a simple statement on how the morning of Sept 11th started as a beautiful clear sunny morning.

Or a reference to the Permanent Waves album cover.

The message in the song seems rather overt - the rational folks being puzzled and dismayed by the irrational actions of others around the world. I don't know much about the tarot cards, though - it would be useful to have those explained.

well, musically speaking, a really cool song in terms of bass playing. Varied bass textures add to a vibe that is ominous and bleak. Love the approach to this song. Lyrically, well, the first line IMO is a gesture to a "pie in the sky" sensibility of people getting along peacefully with no problems.
  • Like 1

The bass in the chorus sounds like water-beings attempting to communicate to me with their bizarre language
  • Like 1

The bass in the chorus sounds like water-beings attempting to communicate to me with their bizarre language

Never thought of that. There is some kind of underwater thing going on...bubbles rising to the surface

• Like 1

Never thought of that. There is some kind of underwater thing going on...bubbles rising to the surface

Rush seems to like the water references--this song, Permanent Waves, Moist, etc.

• Like 1

Rush seems to like the water references--this song, Permanent Waves, Moist, etc.

Agreed. I can't wait for Moist. There's an early review coming out soon. David Fricke is doing it

• Like 1

oh yeah i'm pissin my underwear waiting for this new rush track Moist

never thought PK had anythink to do with 9/11 thought that was the track Vapor trails

well, musically speaking, a really cool song in terms of bass playing. Varied bass textures add to a vibe that is ominous and bleak. Love the approach to this song. Lyrically, well, the first line IMO is a gesture to a "pie in the sky" sensibility of people getting along peacefully with no problems.

A wave hello, or - more likely - goodbye to that pie in the sky world that was pre-9/11 America.
  • Like 1

The message in the song seems rather overt - the rational folks being puzzled and dismayed by the irrational actions of others around the world. I don't know much about the tarot cards, though - it would be useful to have those explained.

http://www.tarotlore.com/tarot-cards/

Pretty good source here.

Yesterday I saw you standing there

With your hand against the pane

Looking out the window at the rain

And I wanted to tell you that your tears were not in vain

But I guess we both knew we'd never be the same

Never be the same

Why must we hide all these feelings inside?

Lions and lambs shall abide

Maybe one day we'll be strong enough to build it back again

Build the peaceable kingdom back again

Build it back again

Why must we hide all these feelings inside?

Lions and lambs shall abide

Build the peaceable kingdom back again

Build the peaceable kingdom, build it back again

Build the peaceable kingdom, build it back again

Apologies forleaving this hanging I was doing major yard work all weekend, like tearing down my deck.

2. All this time we're talking and sharing our Rational View

In this line I see panels of expert talking heads on the Sunday morning political shows discussing foreign policy, G8 meetings and economic forums in Davos.