• Interests:sports,music,TV,movies,books,my daughters

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:05 PM

At least he never bit off anyone's ear.

#43 Geddy's Soul Patch

Geddy's Soul Patch

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3835 posts
  • Interests:Music, Literature, Film, Star Trek, Time Travel, Going way, way, way back in time, Hobbiton, Making the joke seriously, Machines Can Love, Harvesting the Lumnian Fields

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:11 PM

Tony R, on 01 April 2015 - 08:29 AM, said:

Rand was a sociopath, Peart is a sociopath. Better beware kiddies.

Anyone above the age of 16 who hasn't debunked Rand's "philosophy" already is a douche in my book.
Saying something like that comes off as extremely ignorant

Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch, 01 April 2015 - 03:11 PM.

#44 Tony R

Tony R

Prog Archivist

• Members *
  • 16917 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:32 PM

Geddy, on 01 April 2015 - 03:11 PM, said:

Anyone above the age of 16 who hasn't debunked Rand's "philosophy" already is a douche in my book.

Well I've read all her crap, read bios and histories, and criticisms. I'd say I was the opposite of ignorant.

#45 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21767 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:47 PM

I read the Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged and Anthem back in my late teens due to Neil's  association with her books. While I found the philosophy fascinating at the time, it wasn't necessarily something that I took literally. I can see why the "every man for himself" viewpoint would be appealing to him and to anyone that is searching for their place in life. Especially to someone who is an introvert and finds it harder to fit in for whatever reason.

#46 LedRush

LedRush

The Counterparts Remain The Same

• Members *
  • 24835 posts
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:53 PM

Tony R, on 01 April 2015 - 01:06 PM, said:

LedRush, on 01 April 2015 - 12:07 PM, said:

And anyone with this opinion is a douche in mine.

I respect your right to read this rubbish but once you give any credence to the utter tripe contained within her infantile tomes then man, really, I have to say that reflects negatively on your credibility.

And once you've dismissed an idea because of a person who forwarded it, you've lost all credibility.

#47 LedRush

LedRush

The Counterparts Remain The Same

• Members *
  • 24835 posts
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:55 PM

Tony R, on 01 April 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

Well I've read all her crap, read bios and histories, and criticisms. I'd say I was the opposite of ignorant.

Well, then, congratulations on being able to convey ignorance so effectively.

#48 antiquark

antiquark

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1576 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:04 PM

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."  -- John Rogers

#49 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21767 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:05 PM

LedRush, on 01 April 2015 - 03:55 PM, said:

Feeding the troll just ends up making the thread about them, which feeds their narcissistic thrill. Best to just ignore it.

#50 Tony R

Tony R

Prog Archivist

• Members *
  • 16917 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:11 PM

EagleMoon, on 01 April 2015 - 04:05 PM, said:

Feeding the troll just ends up making the thread about them, which feeds their narcissistic thrill. Best to just ignore it.

Troll off you cheeky mare!

#51 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21767 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:24 PM

Tony R, on 01 April 2015 - 04:11 PM, said:

EagleMoon, on 01 April 2015 - 04:05 PM, said:

Troll off you cheeky mare!

I love you too, Tony.

#52 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 23439 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:50 PM

antiquark, on 01 April 2015 - 04:04 PM, said:

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."  -- John Rogers

Clever as it may be I never wrote or said any of this.

;)

#53 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21767 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:55 PM

JohnRogers, on 01 April 2015 - 04:50 PM, said:

Clever as it may be I never wrote or said any of this.

;)

I've read similar quotes elsewhere before.

#54 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10812 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:37 PM

Tony R, on 01 April 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

Lucas, on 01 April 2015 - 12:20 PM, said:

Tony R, on 01 April 2015 - 06:16 AM, said:

This is not the place to discuss Ayn Rand.

We haven't got a children's forum...

If you understood the question, it was not simply about Ayn Rand's work ..

Another response completely void of content from you

SOCN is for discussing politics, philosophy and other divisive and emotive subjects.

Get it????

The thread seems to have found a place right here

As for you, you are obviously in a lot of pain, and have serious issues with acceptance, criticism and self worth

You actually have my sympathy

#55 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10812 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:44 PM

I got into RUSH when I was 10 years old ... what is the difference ?

This has obviously stirred a lot of emotion in those who feel threatened by any discussion - D I S C U S S I O N - outside of their comfort zone .....

If you think of the myriad of things people can do with their time - anything ( there is a big world out there, maybe some of you don't realize ) .... And someone who chooses to come to the computer, seek out a particular message board, and involve themselves in a discussion in which they do nothing but ridicule and criticize ..

I wouldn't even expect that rom a 14 year old

Very sad

#56 x1yyz

x1yyz

The Shark Whisperer

• Members
  • 8821 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:45 PM

Digital Man, on 01 April 2015 - 10:40 AM, said:

x1yyz, on 01 April 2015 - 10:09 AM, said:

Years ago I read Anthem because of the Rush connection.  I liked the story, although I understand it isn't like some of her more notorious books.  I'm fine with not reading those because I don't like to be preached to about politics or anything, for that matter.  

And, for what it's worth, Neil has since apologized for being so enamoured with Rand's writing, blaming it on being young and impressionable.

I didn't find them preachy, at least not The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged (maybe this one a little).  I Just read them as stories about people trying to make it in the world around them and overcoming obstacles.

I honestly don't know if they are preachy since I've never read anything of hers other than Anthem.  I was just assuming that based what I've heard others say about her writing.  I'm fairly neutral on Rand in general, not having enough experience with her works to discuss them in an intelligent fashion.

#57 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 23439 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:48 PM

Lucas, on 01 April 2015 - 05:44 PM, said:

This has obviously stirred a lot of emotion in those who feel threatened by any discussion - D I S C U S S I O N - outside of their comfort zone .....

If you think of the myriad of things people can do with their time - anything ( there is a big world out there, maybe some of you don't realize ) .... And someone who chooses to come to the computer, seek out a particular message board, and involve themselves in a discussion in which they do nothing but ridicule and criticize ..

Very sad
Seriously I never said any of this.   :)

#58 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 69657 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:48 PM

x1yyz, on 01 April 2015 - 05:45 PM, said:

I'm fairly neutral on Rand in general, not having enough experience with her works to discuss them in an intelligent fashion.
When has that ever stopped ANYONE?

#59 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 69657 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:50 PM

JohnRogers, on 01 April 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

Lucas, on 01 April 2015 - 05:44 PM, said:

Very sad
Seriously I never said any of this.   :)
He's not kidding.   I think we've all seen enough of his writing to know that he's nowhere near that clever.

#60 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10812 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:51 PM

Part of my point in creating this thread was to hear if people applied any of these things into their own lives - for example, volunteer work, teaching an instrument, starting and owning you own business, etc

The truly inspirational bands can lead a person down some very positive roads ...

After all the "polls" were moved, I thought this would be an interesting way to learn about the posters here, as I am still somewhat new to the forum ( .. I enjoyed the polls btw )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users