The Worst - Round Five

Lorraine

43 members have voted

1. 1. What is the worst song on Hemispheres?

• Cygnus X-1 Book II - Hemispheres
    • Circumstances
    • The Trees
    • La Villa Strangiato

I respectfully decline to participate. And no, you can't tell me that by not choosing, I "still have made a choice." There is no choice to be made. There can be no answer if we do not agree on the question. No mistakes were made here. They suffered too much in the making of this album - no, this sonic masterpiece - to do them the dishonor of choosing the weakest. These songs are all perfect in the eyes of whatever cosmic force or sky-god you believe in. The shimmering red circle spins, removing me from this place. The brains spin at the center. I have memory and awareness, but I have no shape or form. Plus ca change. I jump out of the red star and run free and naked across the brains. The well-dressed dandy tuts in disapproval, but my interpretive dance leaves him agog.

I respectfully decline to participate. And no, you can't tell me that by not choosing, I "still have made a choice." There is no choice to be made. There can be no answer if we do not agree on the question. No mistakes were made here. They suffered too much in the making of this album - no, this sonic masterpiece - to do them the dishonor of choosing the weakest. These songs are all perfect in the eyes of whatever cosmic force or sky-god you believe in. The shimmering red circle spins, removing me from this place. The brains spin at the center. I have memory and awareness, but I have no shape or form. Plus ca change. I jump out of the red star and run free and naked across the brains. The well-dressed dandy tuts in disapproval, but my interpretive dance leaves him agog.

Damn you! I was just about to post EXACTLY the same thing!!
  • Like 1

The Trees. I consider Circumstances in the same category as Cinderella Man and Lessons. Great little tunes and vastly underrated. I enjoy The Trees but just not as much. Of course the rest of the album is incredible...
  • Like 2

Damn you! I was just about to post EXACTLY the same thing!!

Walk the road with me, brother: our goals are the same.

• Like 1

I think familiarity has bred contempt for The Trees in me. I've just heard too many live versions on too many bootlegs at this point, and I just tune out when it starts. It's a shame, because when I first heard it it was probably my favourite song on Hemispheres. It was one of the first Rush songs I learned how to play on bass, too, and I thought the bass parts were pretty fun. It kind of felt like it used the same arrangement formula as Circumstances in many ways, at least in the middle breakdown, and I think it suffers from being right after it because of that. Edited by gudbuytjane

:wacko:

Are you finished? :blink: ;) (have to add the ubiquitous winker to convey the fact that I am not serious :zzz: )

You know, this thread idea worked so well in my head. In practice, it has turned into something completely different. :unsure:

Are you finished? :blink: ;) (have to add the ubiquitous winker to convey the fact that I am not serious :zzz: )

You know, this thread idea worked so well in my head. In practice, it has turned into something completely different. :unsure:

As the Red Vinyl Hemispheres Ambassador I feel it is my duty to bloviate endlessly about the incomparable charms of this record. Doze off if you must (I'm used to it! :) )

• Like 1

I for one am totally appreciating and enjoying these threads, Lorraine! Thank you for making them. :)

• Like 2

As the Red Vinyl Hemispheres Ambassador I feel it is my duty to bloviate endlessly about the incomparable charms of this record. Doze off if you must (I'm used to it! :) )

That's what she said!!! ...oh, wait...
  • Like 2

The problem is that all of the songs are great, can we just replace 1 of them with ALL OF CA???
  • Like 2

Pretty sure Rush covered a Wayne Newton song on this album... right? Pretty sure, if I'm remembering correctly... Danke Schoen was originally on the album, but they took it off after a few weeks and completely re-released the album.

I think to be accurate, Danke Schoen needs to be added to the poll.