The Worst - Round Four

Lorraine

48 members have voted

1. 1. What is the worst song on A Farewell To Kings?

• A Farewell To Kings
    • Xanadu
    • Closer To The Heart
    • Cinderella Man
    • Madrigal
    • Cygnus X-1 Book 1

I know I'm very much in the minority here, but I don't like A Farewell to Kings much at all. One of my least listened to Rush albums.

I'm a big fan of Xanadu, but prefer the Exit...Stage Left version, so don't ever listen to the studio version.

Maybe I'll give the album another try. I used to hate Caress of Steel and now love it, so who knows?

Voted for Madrigal. Definitely the worst song on this one.

Probably should have started with Signals. That's when the decline began.

I think the decline began after P/G

I think that is where the decline began with Grace Under Pressure. The snyth became more and more pronounced.The best Rush music for the most part are the songs where the synthesizers are akin to background accompaniment. Not the featured sounds…although I love me some The Big Money.

Should we prolong this agony, or go on to the next agonizing vote?

Seems safe to move on, but how can one choose a least good song on Hemispheres? Is there one?

I can already see myself abstaining! :P

Seems safe to move on, but how can one choose a least good song on Hemispheres? Is there one?

THERE IS NO BAD SONG, ALL 1000000/1000000

• Like 1

My favorite Rush album, everything works perfectly. Madrigal is the weak link when individually analyzing the tracks though

I sort of agree re: the start of the decline. I have a soft spot for some of the longer songs in which they somehow managed to sustain interest with a repeating riff, just by throwing in cool fills and interesting little keyboard bits. I'm thinking of songs like Jacob's Ladder and Cygnus. I am mesmerized by those things. When they did those albums, I think they always had enough cool musical bits left over to write some great shorter songs (I include Madrigal in that). When they stopped writing those longer songs in favor of I guess trying to write more accessible (whatever that means) pop songs, and the albums became longer . . . well, sometimes the songs just don't grab my interest as much, especially when they layered on so many sounds.

I say "as much"; I still think, like a lot of folks, that Rush's worst is still way better than some of the mind-numbingly dull pop music that's been made throughout the years.

• Like 1

I agree, but hard as it may be to believe, not everyone here loves or even likes Hemispheres.

I agree, but hard as it may be to believe, not everyone here loves or even likes Hemispheres.

Yes, I know...so I shall just watch the votes roll in, and then tell all those people how utterly clueless they are!!

With the utmost respect, of course. :)

I'm sorry Madrigal, it's not you, it's just there's only five seats on this lifeboat. :)

For this exercise

Xanadu is playing the part of Madeline; and;

Madrigal is played by old Mr. Astor left on the deck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMl5_7zvW_U

Haha, I like the idea of Madrigal laying itself down as a noble self-sacrifice to save the other songs on the album. :D

I took a nap and all the polls are now closed

These polls move faster than arms during a Rush drum solo.

Am I grounded?

Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 2

Yes I voted for Cygnus Book I. It's self indulgent crap IMO. Any questions?

Just one. Which cheek do you prefer to be slapped? :bitchslap:

I went with Closer just because this album is near flawless and that is the tune I have heard, encountered many versions, and witnessed more times than the rest. That's the only reason...still like CTTH, especially the E...SL version