SONG BATTLE: Subdivisions vs Territories

fraroc

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which song would you pick?

• Territories
    • Subdivisions
    • I love both!

Ok TRF, Time for another song battle! Subdivisions from Signals goes up against Territories from Power Windows! Let's see which song reigns supreme!

My choice is Subdivisions. Even though I LOVE Territories, Subdivisions just takes the cake for me. It's one of Rush's most known songs, but that put aside it's also a pretty damn good song. The synth line truly feels like Rush is officially exiting the 70s and jumping headfirst into the 80s. This song also captures Geddy Lee's three talents, his great singing voice, his great bass playing skills, and making a first major appearance, his great keyboard playing.

For me Subdivisions is in my top ten favourite Rush tracks; Territories isn't!
  • Like 1

Lyrically, both are equally strong. Both are kind of keyboardy and put Al in the background, which I don't like.

I understand the love for Subdivisions because typical Rush fans can identify with the struggle against conformity.

But everytime I see wars and conflict on tv, the lyrics to Territories ring true.

So i voted both.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet

One of the band's best songs against the song that lined the pockets of concession stands' owners all last tour...this is not a hard question.
  • Like 4

That's true.

Just because someone loves both doesn't mean both songs are on the same level.

Subdivisions is the superior song.

From infinity and beyond. :)

I'd like Territories more if they added Peart saying "Territories" in the chorus:

[Territories]

The whole wide world an endless universe

Yet we keep looking through the eyeglass in reverse

[Territories]

Don't feed the people . . . etc.

• Like 1

I'd say poor Territories was getting its butt whooped, but there are too many wishy-washies around here. What's the point of a poll if you can't make a decision?

Yeah, a buddy of mine (who's a very casual Rush fan just by putting up with me) thought the beginning of Territories sounded like something by Lionel Ritchie...

:facepalm:

I don't really like Subdivisions like most other fans.

Just because Subdivisions is iconic doesn't make it a better song. I love Styx, but I hate Babe.

Subdivisions has been more of a slow burn for me. I've grown more of a fan of it over the years. Territories, on the other hand, clicked with me when I first watched "A Show of Hands"....I wore that vhs out.