Does anyone else LIKE Feedback?

TexMike

Been wondering exactly why Feedback gets so much hate. It's certainly not the greatest thing Rush ever did, but I enjoy listening to it and actually prefer their versions of some tunes over the originals.

So, what is the main reason it's so disliked?

Do people just in general not want Rush recording anything other than original material?

Are the covers themselves considered bad in most people's eyes?

Some other reason? Just curious.

I dig it...especially Mr. Soul.

Cool. I think "Summertime Blues" and "The Seeker" both kick ass.

At the time Feedback was released, I was actually happy to hear Rush dialing back from big production sound to just jamming on guitar, bass and drums again. I hoped it was a sign they were getting back to their roots. Part of that had to do with my not caring much for Vapor Trails (and my opinion there hasn't really changed).

• Like 2

I don't mind it. I don't think it was that special since for the most part the songs are not changed around that much. I get its release (due to being in tandem with R30), but I would much rather hear them give the Rush treatment to music that they have enjoyed over the years that have influenced their sound, rather than the music they grew up with. I know Geddy is a fan of Radiohead. I would be fascinated to hear them cover them.
  • Like 1

IMO they should have 'personalize' more the tracks on Feedback; I'm not very fond of the final score, but we all have whims.... Edited by geezer

I like FEEDBACK a lot, and I love that they did it ... as TexMike said, I had hoped it was sign that RUSH were scaling back and getting back to doing more of what made them pick up their instruments to begin with ..

Summertime Blues is my favorite ... the album peters out a little, but it was their call, and I love that they did it

• Like 1

Yeah, glad they did it. After the heaviness and intensity of VT it must have felt good to just go jam some classics out.

do iwant to listen to it very often? No, I'd rather hear the originals esp Heartful of Soul (Graham Gouldman baby), Mr. soul (the other great Canadian named Neil) and Shapes of Things (more Yardbirds. YES)

In my opinion, Feedback is clearly better than S&A and Presto.

It's arguably better than CP, T4E, and RTB.

At times I like it better than PoW and HYF, and if I couldn't skip a song I'd rather listen to it in its entirety than anything mentioned above.

• Like 1

Feedback is ok. It's just an album of covers so it's not a fair comparison to their original work. I use it alot as a warm-up for playing my guitar, especially Crossroads. But other than Crossroads, I don't think I'd like them to waste concert time on any of the other songs.

It's NOT that I hate the CD...it's a "novelty" and not something I think of when I think of Rush...

There are bands that I've seen that do covers, and it's "kind of" a cool thing depending upon who does what...but I just don't see it as a "Rush thing" When I go see Rush, I don't expect to hear songs like Crossroads, or The Seeker, etc. I would rather hear stuff they normally don't do, things from the first few albums than an old Who song! (and by the same token, if I go see The Who, I don't want to hear Roger Daltry singing Tom Sawyer)

I GET why they did it, and THEY have to be able have FUN with their "job"...but as a fan, I'm glad they went past it (and would cringe if all of a sudden "Feedback II" came out two weeks before this tour!

I don't think it is that it is disliked. But cover albums rarely rank amongst any bands best work.

Feedback is nice, but not many fans are gonna get too excited over it when ultimately what they want from Rush is, well, Rush music.

For What Its Worth is a great song but I prefer the original of course...

Did you do a "cover version" of your own post? ;)

On the topic. I like the album/songs but don't listen to it very often.

• Like 1

I enjoy it. Most of us here are impressed with the musicians the guys are. Their take on some of these songs are really interesting. It may not be the first "album" I reach for but it has it's place.

Did you do a "cover version" of your own post? ;)

On the topic. I like the album/songs but don't listen to it very often.

I hadn't even rolled out of bed when I made the post. I guess I should be happy there aren't 5 of them... :)
  • Like 1

I like the album, but even as a cover album it's not great. I don't think they did enough to put their stamp on the songs. Off the top of my head, Dream Theater, Tori Amos, Metallica and the Counting Crows did the cover thing to considerably more effect than Rush.