I was totally unaware that anyone had a problem with Countdown...

fraroc

Seriously, I've seen people say "I love the entire Signals album including Countdown." And...what? I wasn't aware that anyone had a problem with that song...I've always loved it. Signals, like MP, GUP, and PoW, is one of those albums in which every song is a winner in one way or another. If any song on that album is weak, I'd say the closest thing is Chemistry simply because of the "nerdy love song" lyrics. Edited by fraroc

You may be unaware but there are more than a few who don't like it much including me. You'll see, if this thread goes anywhere...
  • Like 1

it's because Geddy mentioned that the song didn't end up they way they wanted it. It was always fun for me to play that for my friends really loud because they thought a real helicopter was flying by the house. Plus it's a great song to remember air drum parts.
  • Like 2

it's because Geddy mentioned that the song didn't end up they way they wanted it. It was always fun for me to play that for my friends really loud because they thought a real helicopter was flying by the house. Plus it's a great song to remember air drum parts.

I remember the helicopter sounding cool as shit when I listened with my Radio Shack headphones. :haz:
  • Like 2

Musically it plods and lacks dynamics until the keyboard solo middle section, where it's very strong. But that section isn't enough to make it a good song all around. And lyrically it's pretty clunky, thematically dorky. It's kind of funny that they thought it would be a hit at the time.
  • Like 3

Having said that I really don't care for it there are a ton of songs that came later that are much worse and make Countdown look like TSOR... :) Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 5

Having said that I really don't care for it there are some songs that came later that are worse and make Countdown look like TSOR... :)

Fixed, in a minor way. And very true, yes... :)

Having said that I really don't care for it there are some songs that came later that are worse and make Countdown look like TSOR... :)

I guess it depends on your definition of a ton in this context but you are probably correct... :)

I guess it depends on your definition of a ton in this context but you are probably correct... :)

Yeah, it's not a ton, since a lot of them are LIGHT rock.

• Like 1

I really enjoy that song. But I look at it this way: instead of being bummed about people not appreciating certain Rush songs that I do, I consider myself lucky that I do appreciate them. Added bonus for me that I don't have to skip those songs. :)
  • Like 3

Yeah, it's not a ton, since a lot of them are LIGHT rock.

:syrinx: .... :)
  • Like 1

I really enjoy that song. But I look at it this way: instead of being bummed about people not appreciating certain Rush songs that I do, I consider myself lucky that I do appreciate them. Added bonus for me that I don't have to skip those songs. :)

Glass half full is the way to go... :cheers:
  • Like 2

Glass half full is the way to go... :cheers:

Yes sir. :ebert:

Great song, but the best parts are the instrumental sections (the synth solos and the gritty guitar parts that follow them) that the band delivers when Geddy decides to spare us the clunky lyrics about spaceships and excitement.
  • Like 1

It's the only song on Signals I skip. The keyboard sounds are so dated, they sound like those clunky old video game sounds. The lyrics are clunky with the music. It would've made a nice story in Neil's diary, but never should have been put to music. Maybe if it was a good bit shorter I'd listen to it.

I accidentally downloaded "Countdown' as my ringtone last month,

I just took my iPhone 6 and threw it off a bridge into the lake.

That device is tainted with disease now.

• Like 3

I think it is a poor effort by the band. This is Rush, the band of 2112, Bytor&The Snow Dog, Xanadu, Cygnus X-1, Red Barchetta and the best they can do is that :facepalm:

There's no energy, there is no tension and no atmosphere beyond the first few seconds. They dropped the ball.

• Like 3