Rush buys Le Studio: Massey Hall benefit concert

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/Press-Conference_zps3jwkpkdc.jpg

(YBG Toronto Sun 3.28.15 )

"This is something we've wanted to do for a long time. To borrow a phrase from my favorite poet the stars have aligned perfectly for us to carry this dream to fruition. Of course, some help was presented to us along the way--all the better!" Ray Danniels couldn't have summed up the situation any better. For years, Canadians from coast to coast have long wanted to do something with Le Studio, either to make it an historical landmark, amusement park, something other than let it fall into disrepair and rot to nothing. Along with the members of Rush, Danniels have purchased the property and refurbished it entirely for the recording of the band's new album Moist.

The new album marks the first time since 1981's Signals the band has worked with Terry Brown, and fellow co-producer Nick Raskulinecz. "We're coming to the end of a road started many years ago. It comes down to pleasing the people who help put us in this position in the first place--our fans. They've been wanting Terry back for years. We've been away long enough. Nick was a must though, because he'll always point us to the fact that we need to be Rush. As you can tell from songs like Tai Shan, albums like Presto, we can forget that sometimes." The 21st album for the band revisits themes from the past, including the 10 minute song "Adam's Rib", prequel to Jacob's Ladder.

A concert to promote the saving of Le Studio will be held April 1st at Massey Hall featuring many artists who've recorded at Morin Heights, but also those who just love the sound the studio produced. 

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/Save%20Le%20Studio_zpsroub44se.jpg

Also located on the property is the new winery created by the band, "Bacchus Plateau Chateau", complete with a dairy farm for a line of cheese products by drummer Neil Peart.

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu304/homersimpson239/Mobile%20Uploads/9best.jpg

Geddy Lee joked that his wife finally gave his "grapes" back, and allowed him to pursue his dream of having a vineyard next to a recording studio. While Alex said they will offer a premium line of wine products, there will be a more affordable line for those feeling the pinch of a bad economy, yet still "wanna get their buzz on".

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu304/homersimpson239/Mobile%20Uploads/wine2.jpg

Le Studio (later renamed Studio Morin Heights) was a residential recording studio located just south of the town of Morin-Heights, Quebec built in 1974 by André Perry and Yaël Brandeis. The studio, where artists recorded and stayed, was the venue for many notable Canadian and international artists, including Rush (it was nicknamed "Rush's Abbey Road" and The Police. Renowned for its location as well as its state of the art equipment, it was one of the earliest studios to install Solid State Logic mixing tables and RADAR digital recording equipment. By 2008 the studio had gone out of business.

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu304/homersimpson239/Mobile%20Uploads/AnthemCheese-1.jpg

André Perry gained fame as a recording engineer working for John Lennon, and in 1974 was looking to expand his studio, a four-track studio venue in Montreal. He moved to Morin Heights, where he owned a lake, and built his studio there, with his wife Yaël Brandeis. The idea was to give recording artists a venue where they could record and live in a creative atmosphere, near the Laurentian Mountains: The Bee Gees, who recorded Children of the World (1976) at Le Studio, stayed for five months. Initially it had a guesthouse, a half an hour away, but it was burned down accidentally by Roy Thomas Baker and Ian Hunter, according to studio designer and engineer Nick Blagona. Later on a house across the lake was acquired and expanded. By the early 1980s it had acquired a reputation as a premium North American recording venue, after Rush, David Bowie, and April Wine had recorded albums there. "We'd like to return that feel to Le Studio, having the opportunity to live in comfort, while seriously working is what all musicians want and need," said longtime drummer Neil Peart.

The Montreal Exchange looking to acquire funding for building a second studio, with audio and video capabilities, in the US state of Washington. 1.1 million shares valued at $3.50 were sold. Perry and Brandeis retained majority interests. They spent $500,000 on a Quantel Mirage digital video effects unit, hoping to install more equipment to allow the recording of sound effects and film music, as well as a Synclavier room.

In 1988 Perry and Brandeis sold the studio, and Perry retired in the early 1990s. The studio, by then called Studio Morin Heights, was acquired in 1993 by L'Equipe Spectra, an entertainment company that had a number of local artists on record. Rush and other bands continued to do their tracking there. The new owners also built a new studio room, called "Far Side", which offered a digital RADAR audio recorder and allowed local bands with modest budgets to benefit from the amenities.

The 233-acre (0.94 km2) site was listed for sale in July 2007, with an asking price of C$2.45 million. By 2008 it had shut down. The property remained for sale until 2009, when the land was purchased with the intent to convert the area to a retreat and spa. However with today's news, it's been disclosed the Anthem Entertainment and the band paid only C$1 million for the aquisition. Lifeson noted "We would've paid more. We're flush with cash, but you pay what the market demands. Plus, this album, needed the location of Morin Heights to make it happen...we love playing volleyball so much."

Other international artists to record at Le Studio include Nazareth, The Police, Sting, Cat Stevens, The Bee Gees, Keith Richards, Kim Mitchell and Bryan Adams. Rush recorded at Le Studio during "the peak and the end" of the Terry Brown era. This era is reborn with the album Moist.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 15

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/Press-Conference_zps3jwkpkdc.jpg

(YBG Toronto Sun 3.28.15 )

"This is something we've wanted to do for a long time. To borrow a phrase from my favorite poet the stars have aligned perfectly for us to carry this dream to fruition. Of course, some help was presented to us along the way--all the better!" Ray Danniels couldn't have summed up the situation any better. For years, Canadians from coast to coast have long wanted to do something with Le Studio, either to make it an historical landmark, amusement park, something other than let it fall into disrepair and rot to nothing. Along with the members of Rush, Danniels have purchased the property and refurbished it entirely for the recording of the band's new album Moist.

The new album marks the first time since 1981's Signals the band has worked with Terry Brown, and fellow co-producer Nick Raskulinecz. "We're coming to the end of a road started many years ago. It comes down to pleasing the people who help put us in this position in the first place--our fans. They've been wanting Terry back for years. We've been away long enough. Nick was a must though, because he'll always point us to the fact that we need to be Rush. As you can tell from songs like Tai Shan, albums like Presto, we can forget that sometimes." The 21st album for the band revisits themes from the past, including the 10 minute song "Adam's Rib", prequel to Jacob's Ladder.

A concert to promote the saving of Le Studio will be held April 1st at Massey Hall featuring many artists who've recorded at Morin Heights, but also those who just love the sound the studio produced. 

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/Save%20Le%20Studio_zpsroub44se.jpg

Also located on the property is the new winery created by the band, "Bacchus Plateau Chateau", complete with a dairy farm for a line of cheese products by drummer Neil Peart. Geddy Lee joked that his wife finally gave his "grapes" back to him, and allowed him to pursue his dream of having a vineyard next to a recording studio. While the Alex said they will offer a premium line of wine products, there will be a more affordable line for those feeling the pinch of a bad economy, yet still "wanna get their buzz on".

Le Studio (later renamed Studio Morin Heights) was a residential recording studio located just south of the town of Morin-Heights, Quebec built in 1974 by André Perry and Yaël Brandeis. The studio, where artists recorded and stayed, was the venue for many notable Canadian and international artists, including Rush (it was nicknamed "Rush's Abbey Road" and The Police. Renowned for its location as well as its state of the art equipment, it was one of the earliest studios to install Solid State Logic mixing tables and RADAR digital recording equipment. By 2008 the studio had gone out of business.

André Perry gained fame as a recording engineer working for John Lennon, and in 1974 was looking to expand his studio, a four-track studio venue in Montreal. He moved to Morin Heights, where he owned a lake, and built his studio there, with his wife Yaël Brandeis. The idea was to give recording artists a venue where they could record and live in a creative atmosphere, near the Laurentian Mountains: The Bee Gees, who recorded Children of the World (1976) at Le Studio, stayed for five months. Initially it had a guesthouse, a half an hour away, but it was burned down accidentally by Roy Thomas Baker and Ian Hunter, according to studio designer and engineer Nick Blagona. Later on a house across the lake was acquired and expanded. By the early 1980s it had acquired a reputation as a premium North American recording venue, after Rush, David Bowie, and April Wine had recorded albums there. "We'd like to return that feel to Le Studio, having the opportunity to live in comfort, while seriously working is what all musicians want and need," said longtime drummer Neil Peart.

The Montreal Exchange looking to acquire funding for building a second studio, with audio and video capabilities, in the US state of Washington. 1.1 million shares valued at $3.50 were sold. Perry and Brandeis retained majority interests. They spent $500,000 on a Quantel Mirage digital video effects unit, hoping to install more equipment to allow the recording of sound effects and film music, as well as a Synclavier room.

In 1988 Perry and Brandeis sold the studio, and Perry retired in the early 1990s. The studio, by then called Studio Morin Heights, was acquired in 1993 by L'Equipe Spectra, an entertainment company that had a number of local artists on record. Rush and other bands continued to do their tracking there. The new owners also built a new studio room, called "Far Side", which offered a digital RADAR audio recorder and allowed local bands with modest budgets to benefit from the amenities.

The 233-acre (0.94 km2) site was listed for sale in July 2007, with an asking price of

C$2.45 million. By 2008 it had shut down. The property remained for sale until 2009, when the land was purchased with the intent to convert the area to a retreat and spa. However with today's news, it's been disclosed the Anthem Entertainment and the band paid only C$1 million for the aquisition. Lifeson noted "We would've paid more. We're flush with cash, but you pay what the market demands. Plus, this album, needed the located of Morin Heights to make it happen...we love playing volleyball so much."

Other international artists to record at Le Studio include Nazareth, The Police, Sting, Cat Stevens, The Bee Gees, Keith Richards, Kim Mitchell and Bryan Adams. Rush recorded at Le Studio during "the peak and the end" of the Terry Brown era. This era is reborn with the album Moist.

:notworthy:

Bacchus Plateau Chateau :smoke: :D

• Like 3

I love how the concert is set on April 1st

It's weird how that worked out. What a bill. It's all General Admission too, so get ready to camp out for tickets. Bob and Doug are just cherries on top. I wonder if they'll perfom "Great White North"?

Sounds like a brilliant gig they've got planned :haz:

I just hope everyone has had too much of that wine beforehand

• Like 1

I meant to write hasn't...but that works too, I guess
  • Like 1

People drink at concerts?

• Like 1

People drink at concerts?

I was thinking of the band. If the band got drunk, they might have a hard time climbing safely up Jacob's Ladder to Xanadu.
  • Like 2

http://www.grapesforhumanity.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/alex_lifeson.jpg

In a recent conversation with the Yukon Blade Grinder, Lerxt had this to say about his special "Jailhouse" recipe.

"Yeah the Strangiato Farms will get you jacked up. I stand by that statement. I mean, you'll see stuff!"

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 4