Your favorite Neil drum solo

YYZumbi

32 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Neil drum solo?

• Drum solo from first tour (You can hear it on ABC 1974, The Fifth Order Of Angels)
    • Drum solo from Fly By Night Tour (You can hear it on Bad Boys In Cleveland)
    • Drum solo from Caress Of Steel Tour (You can hear it on Stainless Steel)
    • Drum solo on All The World´s A Stage
    • Drum solo from Hemispheres Tour (You can hear it on Black Forest, A Desert Passage and many more)
    • Drum solo from Permanent Waves Tour (You can hear it on St. Louis ´80, Spirit Of The Airwaves)
    • Drum solo from Exit... Stage Left
    • The Rhythm Method from A Show Of Hands
    • Drum solo from Presto Tour (You can hear it on Hartford ´90)
    • The Rhythm Method from Roll The Bones Tour (You can hear it on Mirrors)
    • The Rhythm Method from Counterparts Tour (You can hear it on Nuts And Bolts)
    • The Rhythm Method from Different Stages
    • O Baterista from Rush In Rio
    • Der Trommler from R30 Anniversary World Tour
    • De Slagwerker from Snakes & Arrows Live
    • Moto Perpetuo from Time Machine Live In Cleveland 2011
    • Here It Is from Clockwork Angels Tour (first one)
    • Drumbastica from Clockwork Angels Tour (second one)
    • The Percussor (I) Binary Love Theme (II) Steambanger's Ball from Clockwork Angels Tour (third one)

I am voting for the one from Exit... Stage Left.

I love the way they do YYZ, drum solo and then back to YYZ.

And there is no annoying jazz sound stuff, it is just Neil!!

• Like 1

All pretty damn boring if you ask me. I was blown away by O Baterista the first time I saw it, but it has cooled on me. I voted for the Percussor because it doesn't even really sound like a drum solo lol Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

I'll go for the ESL solo, not because of ESL but because I saw it live on that tour and it was transcendently great.

The ESL one. First time I heard it I was like, "No! They cut YYZ?!" Then, "Wow, go Pratt!" And then, "Yes, YYZ again! That was awesome!"

ATWAS...sorry...THAT WAS THE FIRST THING THAT GOT ME INTO RUSH!!!! (not wavering in my loyalty to that album EVER!)

I agree with this. I am not a fan of drum solos really at all. They typically bore me but I would pick this one too for obvious reasons... :)

"I can't wait to hear this drum solo", said no one ever...if Neil asked me, I'd tell him to add extra flare on a handful of songs throughout the setlist (Secret Touch, Red Lenses, One Little Victory - lots of examples), and have no solo at all. He's already hinted at that on the last tour, and it worked much better than it did in other recent tours.
  • Like 2

"I can't wait to hear this drum solo", said no one ever...if Neil asked me, I'd tell him to add extra flare on a handful of songs throughout the setlist (Secret Touch, Red Lenses, One Little Victory - lots of examples), and have no solo at all. He's already hinted at that on the last tour, and it worked much better than it did in other recent tours.

Do other bands drummers do drum solos? I rarely go out to see any other bands anymore so I don't know.

That's ironic, since he took three different solo turns during every Clockwork Angels show. :huh:

That's ironic, since he took three different solo turns during every Clockwork Angels show. :huh:

Yeah, but much shorter ones.

I chose the Rhythm Method from the Counterparts Tour. They included it as an extra in Anatomy of a Drum Solo and I think it's just about perfect.

I love Neil's solos. It's one of the highlights of the concert, as far as I'm concerned, and I've noticed that it always draws some of the loudest applause of the night, so lots of other Rush fans must feel the same way as I.

Full disclosure: I only listen to a full drum solo if I'm doing something else and don't realize in time to skip it. On the other hand, as a non-drummer I am completely mesmerized by watching Peart play anything else (I love those isolated drum videos of him on YouTube), but solos just kind of make me snooze.

Full disclosure: I only listen to a full drum solo if I'm doing something else and don't realize in time to skip it. On the other hand, as a non-drummer I am completely mesmerized by watching Peart play anything else (I love those isolated drum videos of him on YouTube), but solos just kind of make me snooze.

I'm kind of the same way. I love to watch him play, and enjoy them live, but to listen to it? Rarely.

I've always loved the Exit Stage Left solo; However, back in the 90's on got my hands on a vinyl copy of the St. Louis 80 show, and I have to say that I prefer some of the elements of that one to the ESL solo. I haven't listened in a while, but I recall more double kick work and also the use of some processing (the sound man would embellish the solos of earlier tours with flange and/or phase shift for some funky effects.) The effects were not used on ESL - and though I am normally a purist when it comes to drums, I thought this primitive signal processing was cool.

There's a boot, uh, I mean, "recording of illegitimate origin" out there called "Digital Man" that has one solo from each tour - from the first tour all the way up to 2004 (you can fill in after that time via numerous live official releases.) It's very interesting - at least for a drummer, like me. I've given some thought to charting up a map of the sections of each of his solos. There are motifs that he's used for years and years - like the cowbell riffs that appear on both ATWAS and ESL - I think all the way up to Presto; or "The Drum also Waltzes", Pieces of Eight, or Momo's dance party are all common motifs - but also his more recent big band sections. Even in early days there were easily identifiable sections that he used on every solo.