Maybe it takes repeated listens to learn to love 'Presto'

Rush Fan in Michigan

I've never understood some of the dislike for "Presto" here in the forum. I'm wondering if my first time purchasing it on cassette made a difference.

I know some of you folks are too young to remember cassettes, but is was a hassle to fast forward to the songs I liked best, and more often than not listened to sides straight through.

Since the song "Presto" is my favorite on the album, and it was the last song on side one, I really had the chance to give them all repeated listens and learned to like them all.

"Presto" is my No. 10 on the countdown, and my buddy picks "Power Windows."

Rush R40 Countdown at No. 10: 'Presto,' 'Power Windows' and taking time to play all the songs

Just revisited Presto, seeing if I had missed something in the years it had been gathering dust. After all, I've grown to love VT, and I have a greater appreciation for HYF and PoW with more recent listens.

Didn't happen. Still sounds tinny, and too many of the songs sound like Your Lite Rock Favorites ™. It's hard to believe the same guys who wrote Hemispheres and Permanent Waves put together such a desultory, gray listening experience. It's hard to name a highlight for me.

• Like 2

Except for Superconductor i've always liked the album quite a bit. The production was never an issue with me since I've heard albums with a lot worse. I don't think Presto would make my top ten Rush albums though.
  • Like 2

Superconductor as a highlight?

I like it! The had giant inflatable rabbits in hats on stage, and they rocked back and forth during "Superconductor" like they were dancing, It's a fun memory.

I dig it. Good riff, cool break, and lots of irony.
  • Like 4

After the debut, their absolute worst.

Whose debut? :huh:

Not Rush's, cause that's awesome :haz:

• Like 4

War Paint is a top 10 Rush song for me (blasphemy, I know). It's got some really clever guitar work

I'm a big fan of War Paint.

It's got some really clever DRUM work!

Maybe not top 10 for me... but certainly in the top 1/3.

• Like 1

If I recall your last thread this would put Presto ahead of 2112. Like meaning that Presto is better than 2112. Wow and double wow. I enjoy about 6 or 7 songs from the album btw...
  • Like 2

If I recall your last thread this would put Presto ahead of 2112. Like meaning that Presto is better than 2112. Wow and double wow. I enjoy about 6 or 7 songs from the album btw...

Ranking Presto ahead of Grace Under Pressure, Clockwork Angels, and Vapor Trails :wacko:

But it looks like Test For Echo is going to make the top 10 for both of you. That's going to piss off a lot of people :laughing guy: And it looks like Counterparts will for one of you :D

• Like 1

Ranking Presto ahead of Grace Under Pressure, Clockwork Angels, and Vapor Trails :wacko:

But it looks like Test For Echo is going to make the top 10 for both of you. That's going to piss off a lot of people :laughing guy: And it looks like Counterparts will for one of you :D

I hadn't even read any of the links until just now cus you got me curious. Not sure who or which one Dave is but good Lord as far as taste in Rush music goes. :wacko: Just my opinion. The other isn't the greatest but better...
  • Like 1

I hadn't even read any of the links until just now cus you got me curious. Not sure who or which one Dave is but good Lord as far as taste in Rush music goes. :wacko: Just my opinion. The other isn't the greatest but better...

2112 isn't my favorite by a longshot but it gets my #10 spot. Even the worst song on 2112 (Twilight Zone) is miles better than the best song on Presto.

• Like 2

I have grown to like Presto, and I love the song. Yes, the production is thin and the songs aren't as strong as on many previous albums, but it was a step in the right direction musically, and it has some excellent songs on it.
  • Like 2

I have grown to like Presto, and I love the song. Yes, the production is thin and the songs aren't as strong as on many previous albums, but it was a step in the right direction musically, and it has some excellent songs on it.

Agreed. I do love the song Presto also. I also really enjoy Chain Lightning, Scars, Red Tide and Available Light and am not ashamed to admit it. Obviously The Pass is a staple and its ok. I kind of like War Paint too :ph34r: ... Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 3

I enjoy Presto. It isn't a masterwork, and it's surrounded by albums that are better than it, but it's good. Show Don't Tell, Chain Lightning, The Pass, Superconductor, and Available Light are all excellent songs.

I love "Test for Echo."

I think it's interesting that we all love the same band, but have different feelings -- strong feelings -- about different songs and albums. Good stuff.

I'm Dave, and I go first in the blog.

• Like 1

I'm Dave, and I go first in the blog.

Oops. Sorry Dave... :)
  • Like 1